97 B/W Starting Question

98viperGTS

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I recently bought a 97 B/W GTS and I have noticed that it does not want to just start right up. My 98 GTS all I have to do it put the Clutch in and turn the key and she fires right up with no hesitation or trouble. The 97 will turn over for a sec or two then starts and sometimes it takes longer. Once its started the car feels great and drives great but I just want to have it start right up each time. Any suggestions?

Thanks
John

Shelby3

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The check valve in your fuel system may be allowing fuel in the lines to drain back into the tank. Try turning the key on three times before hitting the starter. If it starts right up, that's likely your problem.

99 R/T 10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Check valve in the fuel pump failing. Do a search. Tom, (Tom, F&L GoR) was looking for a Gen II to try out his fix. Common on the Gen I's, rare on the Gen IIs.

OP
OP

98viperGTS

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Thanks, I did a search and found alot more info. I am going to go home tonight and turn it on 3 times before I start it and see what that does.

Thanks
John

Saint_Spinner

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I've never had problems with my '97 B/W, but one thing I always do (if this is bad, let me know..) is turn the key on and wait for the "fuel pump" (I think thats what it is) sound to stop...this takes about 3 seconds, and then I turn the key all the way to start her up and she fires up easily.

I've never tried just straight up firing up, although I'm sure she'll do just fine.

OP
OP

98viperGTS

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Thanks for all the replies. That was it. If I turn the key to on 3 times it starts with no problem.

Thanks
John

Tom F&L GoR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Done successfully in '94 Gen 1 RT and '97 Gen 2 GTS, several in stock, $100 includes shipping. 3.5" x 4.4" x 1.4" box mounts in the trunk away from heat, fuel, water, road debris. Simple tools (black tape and pliers to clip on wire attachments.) You'll spend more time unwrapping and rewrapping tape than "installing." Email me for first draft of instructions and installation pictures.