97 gts hood won't stay up

Texas 97 GTS B/W

Enthusiast
Reaction score
OK, so I sprayed the springs for the hood and now it won't stay up............stupid.........
Anyway, there has to be some super viscous fluid or spray that can help me regain my
hood's "staying power".

Help me Obi Wan!!!!!!!!

CEJ

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Anyone ever spray a degreaser (carefully!) onto the hood joints to fix this problem?

Last edited:

plumcrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
pretty sure if you spray the hinge, it makes things worse. search before doing that.

i bought a used hinge from scharf and fixed it

E_tar

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Just one point I feel I must contribute.. having done this to the door hinge of an old car once..

HOPE YOU DID NOT USE WD40 ! If you have used WD40, a standard degreaser will not work.. that WD40 **** is strong and gets in at a molecular level it seems..:nono:

You will have to use industrial strength degreaser.. but then be careful of the PAINT !!:omg:

F

FrgMstr

You will probably have to pull the damn things off and soak them in some good degreaser solution to get the *********** you need. Believe it or not, a strong Dawn dish soap mixture will pull the grease off just about anything. Or maybe a bucket of Toluene or Methyl Ethyl Ketone. :D

RevHeat

Viper Owner
Reaction score
He had used too much white lithium grease. It is ok to use, but you have to be super careful not to use too much. Just a quick spray will do once every few years.

Solid Red 98

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I just took a leg off of a spare aluminum camera tripod and it works perfectly; stows under the seat. It takes the strain off of the hood anyway--it might even help avoid cracks. It is also a wind safety.

treed

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Try Simple Green.... usually does a good job of degreasing things and typically won't hurt paint... Avoid brake cleaner or anything similar, as that will hurt paint for sure.

OP
OP
T

Texas 97 GTS B/W

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks, everyone for the pointers.

No, I'm not going to sell mine Chris. Bad viper owner!!! LOL

ViperDave

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just remove the springs, its real easy as if you support the hood they are not under tension so wont go twang and fly across the yard. once off the car you can de-grease properly, i soaked and brushed them down with paraffin. Once they were clean as possible i applied the Tators tip, which was to spray them with a matt black paint, has two effects, 1) makes them look like new again. 2) helps add a bit more friction into the coils, hood now stays up great, if anything it was too stiff at first.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tombala