97 GTS Vibration

Vandal_Mav

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Anyone able to give me an ide why I have a vibration at ~78mph on my GTS?

Tires are balanced and although the vibration "translates" through the steerig wheel, it feels like it is coming from some place else.

It disappears above or below 78mph :confused:

plumcrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
bad tires ?

how many miles on them and id still have them balanced someplace different.

Ron

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Find a shop that has the Hunter GSP9700 Road Force Balancer. Will solve your problem if it's wheel / tire caused. Regular H/S balancers seen at typical tire shops can't compare.

See it here

Jack B

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The Hunter recommendation is the answer. You will also have to find a shop that has the adapter plates for our wheels. I went to five shops with the Hunter machine before I found one that could mount the wheels, plus, knew the machine. In most cases that machine is like a high end computer that is used as an adding machine. They assign a runout number to both the wheel and tire and match the tires and wheels relative to the runout number. Depending on the tires, you want to stay below 30 and definitely below 50 on street tires.

You will also find out that the viper wheel is prone to have lateral runout, especially the rears. Last but not least, make sure they use protected tools that won't scratch the wheels or you will have damage.

Kurt 97 GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I agree, sounds like a balancing issue. Also, make sure that after the wheels/tires are balanced and put on the car to mark where the valve stems are. Had an issue on my old RT that once I drove the car, the tire would roatate a couple of inches and throw out the balance. Anyway....just a thought!