989 Recall and Dublin Dodge

Stephen Yap

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You usually see a lot of negative posts about dealers so I just wanted to post something positive for a change. I had scheduled my car for the recall and brought it in last week after being told that the recall parts had arrived. I had a conversation with John, the Viper tech a few days before my appointment because of all the concerns about this recall and the welding involved. Before actually working on the car, John, who is an experienced welder invited a representative from Lincoln Electric about the type of welding that was involved based on the recall notes from Dodge. They compared factory frame welds and tested welds on a template. John brought in his own welding machine in addition to the welding machine at the dealership. All of this was before I even brought my car in. I had hoped that the car would be done in 2 days but it had to stay over the weekend. The reason it took an extra day was that John had to grind the old plates out to put in the new brackets and instead of just riveting the brackets as instructed he decided he was going to make this a work of art. He ground the excess metal, brushed zinc stuff for rust, and then primered it for smoothness. He installed the brackets and then did some welding work that was smooth and extra thick. He was always comparing it with the factory welds to make sure that his welds were superior. After the rivets and the welds he then painted the brackets and frame a gloss black. He did similar things to the rear differential mounts. He waited for me and had the car up on lifts even after it was finished because he wanted to show off what he had done. He was obviously proud of the work and I was glad I had someone like that working on my car. I had heard of horror stories about Vipers being taken for joyrides when left at dealerships and so I made sure I remembered the odometer reading when I dropped it off. When I picked it up, the car had travelled maybe .4 miles. These miles were there because John had moved the car back and forth on ramps trying to clear the lifts on my lowered viper. I found out because it took about 20 minutes trying to get it off. When I saw this I knew my car was being taken cared of.

I know that Stevens Creek Dodge and Autoworld in Petaluma have gotten good reviews but I find it inconvenient to spend several hours just to get to a Dodge Dealer. John the viper tech and Keith the Service Manager were absolutely amazing. Owners in the East Bay should check them out unless you want to take a road trip to another dealer. Thanks John/Keith/Todd from Dublin Dodge!

OP
OP
S

Stephen Yap

Enthusiast
Reaction score
There were no cracks in the front or the rear [maybe I need to push harder at the track :) ] but the rears required the differential and the exhaust removed for the brace to be installed. And before I forget, I got a call on SUNDAY at 9:30pm from John working on the car asking if I wanted to check it out. I know there are not a lot of big bucks to be made working on these things so I was really amazed at the meticulousness and detail of the work. Geez,I even forgot to give them beer money in my rush to go home.