99 versus 2000 cam

orlandov10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Didnt say the GTS was ugly I said out of the two it was uglier.

You seem to be stuck on theory when 99% of us know fact, that 2000+ vipers made less power.

Personaly I dont care which one made more power, but facts are facts that many dyno pulls cant be wrong.

To the guy that said most viper owners upgrade to GTS's. That would be a down grade unless you plan on tracking the car and need the roof.

Many Gen 1 RT owners get the gen 2 gts, because they owned RT's for a long time, not many go from a gen 2 rt to a gen 2 gts.

And besides I love both, but when people refer to vipers as GTS's and GTS did this and GTS did that it gets under my skin. The days of the GTS being faster than the rt ended in 98 lets get over it.

ditto, I like both cars too.. I chose the GTS in the end based on cosmetic features, the open top would be nice but I just dont like the looks of the RT10, if I wanted open top I would go SRT10, its a true convertable

Jeff-00-ACR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I chose the GTS in the end based on cosmetic features, the open top would be nice but I just dont like the looks of the RT10, if I wanted open top I would go SRT10, its a true convertable

I agree with you. The GTS is a much better looking car. And you're right, if you want an open top, then get a real convertable and go for the SRT10.

Inferno

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Didnt say the GTS was ugly I said out of the two it was uglier.

You seem to be stuck on theory when 99% of us know fact, that 2000+ vipers made less power.

Personaly I dont care which one made more power, but facts are facts that many dyno pulls cant be wrong.

To the guy that said most viper owners upgrade to GTS's. That would be a down grade unless you plan on tracking the car and need the roof.

Many Gen 1 RT owners get the gen 2 gts, because they owned RT's for a long time, not many go from a gen 2 rt to a gen 2 gts.

And besides I love both, but when people refer to vipers as GTS's and GTS did this and GTS did that it gets under my skin. The days of the GTS being faster than the rt ended in 98 lets get over it.

99%.....right. To end this in a positive way, nice car man.

PDCjonny

Enthusiast
Reaction score
That's a damn good run Jeff, regardless of what car and what year. Were you powershifting or just really quick on the gas?

jk

Enthusiast
Reaction score
This thread has really moved topic from the start. I don't think the intention was to argue cast versus forged pistons.

I have a 2000 RT/10 and when I had my heads reworked (Jeff Morys), I swapped the stock 2000 cam for the 708 cam. I Didn't want to go too radical on the cam, so I opted for the pre-2000 stock cam. No dyno numbers yet, but since a lot of work was done at that time: heads, cam, underdrive pulleys, not sure if I could supply a meaningful number to this thread anyway.

Now to take to thread off topic myself, I was wondering if I should swap the PCM for a pre-2000 version since that might be a better match for the cam... :confused:

Jeff-00-ACR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
That's a damn good run Jeff, regardless of what car and what year. Were you powershifting or just really quick on the gas?

Not powershifting. Just really quick shifting, altho my 2nd to 3rd could have been even better.

STUGOTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Not powershifting. Just really quick shifting, altho my 2nd to 3rd could have been even better.

Whats the diffrence beteween power shifting and quick shifting?

OP
OP
A

Anaconda

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You keep the gas pedal to the floor when power shifting. Quick shifting would be letting the gas up, but still ramming the shifter up.

STUGOTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You keep the gas pedal to the floor when power shifting. Quick shifting would be letting the gas up, but still ramming the shifter up.

ohh ok got cha

Thanks

Russ M

Enthusiast
Reaction score
JK,

If you have ported heads your should be using an AEM unit, or a vec 2 at worst. You will pickup considerable power from both.

YELL03

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I think stock vs stock the creampuffs hang right there with the 96-99 GTSs.

THe lighter pistons make up for the cam.

Also, my buddy had a 99 GTS and my 2001 GTS sounded much nastier and lumpier at idle???

I think once you get in to mods the 96-99s will show more improvement, especially forced induction.

But.....

With just Roe tubes & filters, and Kumho Ecsta V700s my 2001 GTS ran 11.67@120+ grannyshifting.

Do a search under my name for the videos.

Howard

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JKGiant