997 GT2 Vs. Viper SRT10 !

MbnViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
when Porsche comparing the new 997 GT2 to the Viper SRT10 and calling the viper a key competitor, thats says a lot ;)

You must be registered for see images

Viper rules :D

imagine32000

Viper Owner
Reaction score
They must be comparing the 06 Coupe, if they're claiming a +25hp advantage for the GT2. The new GT2s are rated at 530hp now, if I recall.

- Matt

mike & juli

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I notice that the SRT is the fastest of all colors - RED.
And with stripes too. Makes it even faster.

Are you going to do this with every post, Devil Dave??? ALL Vipers are fast, no matter WHAT color~~what say we agree to THAT?!!! :eater: ~juli

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Are you going to do this with every post, Devil Dave??? ALL Vipers are fast, no matter WHAT color~~what say we agree to THAT?!!! :eater: ~juli

Jules... Don't simplify Viper ownership.

Plus, my mom said that if you don't have anything nice to say, then talk about your favorite color.

Sorry.

You're just mad yours is... ...what color?

mike & juli

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Jules... Don't simplify Viper ownership.
Plus, my mom said that if you don't have anything nice to say, then talk about your favorite color.
Sorry.
You're just mad yours is... ...what color?

BLACK and proud of it!!!! Yep, simply put, ALL Vipers are fast...that's funny, if you don't have anything nice to say, talk about your favorite color~~~BLACK it is!!! ~juli

Nader

Enthusiast
Reaction score
They must be comparing the 06 Coupe, if they're claiming a +25hp advantage for the GT2. The new GT2s are rated at 530hp now, if I recall.

- Matt

Odd because they state it has the cam in cam technology and variable valve tech. interesting but not surprising they went with the 06 power numbers to compare to.

KenricGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have a 997 turbo with an EVO GT730 power upgrade and I have to tell you guys the Turbo flys. I had a 996 with their GT700 and I would waste my Viper with 704rwhp. Anyways I love my Viper and will hopefully always have one but 911 Turbos 996s and 997s are awesome. And with simple upgrades absoulutely haul ass! Off the line the all wheel drive puts the power down and they just go! My 997 with just the basic bolt ons with stock turbos ran 10.80s. When I get my 997 turbo back with new variable high flow turbos should run 10.50s. But saying all that the Viper still looks way better and the feel is all muscle compared with the 911 which is far more tame driving. Until boost comes on!

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
when Porsche comparing the new 997 GT2 to the Viper SRT10 and calling the viper a key competitor, thats says a lot

Not really. The 997 is another nanny-aid tech car. The cars that would be a better comparison to a Viper would be purpose built race cars. Like Panoz, Radical, NASCAR, etc.

bluestreak

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Not really. The 997 is another nanny-aid tech car. The cars that would be a better comparison to a Viper would be purpose built race cars. Like Panoz, Radical, NASCAR, etc.

The 997 GT2 will **** a Viper all over any track in the world, you are out of your marbles. The only place the Viper has a chance is the drag strip, better hope it can beat the Z06 with PS2's handily first, this is out of the vipers league.

I'd take a 996 GT2 over the 08 Viper on the track as it's probably toe to toe if not faster than the C6Z and it doesnt have any aids, but much like the Vipers, too many people bought it and couldnt handle it, so Porsche made a completely disable-able TC, to give the driver the option instead of staying in the stone age.

So purpose built race cars come with AC, ABS, Glass Windows and VIN???? The viper is a street car, period, if you want a race car buy a comp coupe, they make those too you know, as long as the viper is driven on the street it should have street manners, or at least be capable of such and not putting 600 hp in the the hands of those with deep enough hp and no protection.

Warfang

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The 997 GT2 will **** a Viper all over any track in the world, you are out of your marbles. The only place the Viper has a chance is the drag strip, better hope it can beat the Z06 with PS2's handily first, this is out of the vipers league.

I'd take a 996 GT2 over the 08 Viper on the track as it's probably toe to toe if not faster than the C6Z and it doesnt have any aids, but much like the Vipers, too many people bought it and couldnt handle it, so Porsche made a completely disable-able TC, to give the driver the option instead of staying in the stone age.

So purpose built race cars come with AC, ABS, Glass Windows and VIN???? The viper is a street car, period, if you want a race car buy a comp coupe, they make those too you know, as long as the viper is driven on the street it should have street manners, or at least be capable of such and not putting 600 hp in the the hands of those with deep enough hp and no protection.

whine whine whine...

jcaspar1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
as long as the viper is driven on the street it should have street manners, or at least be capable of such and not putting 600 hp in the the hands of those with deep enough hp and no protection.

Being an obvious Porsche fan, by "protection" I assume you mean traction control, stability control, all wheel drive, an automatic tiptronic transmission, braking assist and a collision avoidance, all those things that make a car truly worth driving.... and extremely dangerous to drive without!

bluestreak

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Being an obvious Porsche fan, by "protection" I assume you mean traction control, stability control, all wheel drive, an automatic tiptronic transmission, braking assist and a collision avoidance, all those things that make a car truly worth driving.... and extremely dangerous to drive without!

I'm a Porsche fan as I own one, I am a viper fan too though and think the 08 will be a majorly potent car, but it will take a special skill set to pilot it as you mentioned, and 99% of viper owners dont have the skills, so why give a customer more car than they can handle and nothing to protect them. The Viper staying in the stonge age is why the program is in danger of going under, it would not hurt the car to be a little more civilized. It has gotten more and more civilized over the years, it's only the next step in evolution.

But the old guys who have plenty of old vipers with old technology to drive want the new vipers to stick to the old mentality which is garbage. TC and "some" creature comforts would do the car good.

SnakeBitten

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Cant just state arbitrarily that the GT2 will beat the 08 Viper....On paper it might appear so because of the weight advantage of the Porsche...But the 03-06 Vipers on paper was supposed to be slower on a circuit track than the Z06 but in head to head tests it was close with both swapping wins.....I think we need to wait till they have a head to head on a track like VIR to see who comes out on top......Personally I think the Porsche might edge the snake out but the margin will be small enought that it would be a drivers race...

BTW theres a new player in this league now...The GTR just debued in Tokyo...Intial numbers were 0-60 in 3.5 and 11.7 1/4 mile times with a top speed over 192mph...Oh and all that for less than 80k.....Its getting crowded at the top now...:drive:

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The 997 GT2 will **** a Viper all over any track in the world, you are out of your marbles.

Hey genius. I never claimed the Viper was faster. I was referring to a nanny tech car being compared to a bare bones driver's car like the Viper.

The 997 is better compared to Ferrari or a Z06. The Viper has no street comparison in that it has few nannies.

Get it now?

Why are you here anyway?

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am a viper fan too

No you are not. Why would you expect anybody to think that you are a Viper fan when there is NOTHING about the Viper you like. It is too heavy, it has no tech, it is too difficult for you to drive and it is too uncomfortable for you to drive. That's fine, I don't mind if somebody doesn't like the same cars I like, but don't pretend to be Viper fan. Nobody is gonna buy that.

It's been fun. Now go back to your nanny car forums.

PatentLaw

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Unsubstantiated Conclusions. ****? Sure.......:rolleyes:

Warfang

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey genius. I never claimed the Viper was faster. I was referring to a nanny tech car being compared to a bare bones driver's car like the Viper.

The 997 is better compared to Ferrari or a Z06. The Viper has no street comparison in that it has few nannies.

Get it now?

Why are you here anyway?

He's a troll, why else?

bluestreak

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Cant just state arbitrarily that the GT2 will beat the 08 Viper....On paper it might appear so because of the weight advantage of the Porsche...But the 03-06 Vipers on paper was supposed to be slower on a circuit track than the Z06 but in head to head tests it was close with both swapping wins.....I think we need to wait till they have a head to head on a track like VIR to see who comes out on top......Personally I think the Porsche might edge the snake out but the margin will be small enought that it would be a drivers race...

BTW theres a new player in this league now...The GTR just debued in Tokyo...Intial numbers were 0-60 in 3.5 and 11.7 1/4 mile times with a top speed over 192mph...Oh and all that for less than 80k.....Its getting crowded at the top now...:drive:

The Z06 and 06's arent as close as you think, but I do agree that in the avg persons hands the matchup is a drivers race, but in pro's hands the GT-2 will dominate the Viper, this is what I am assuming will happen, knowing the trends of the Porsches and their capabilities. But it is very likely, the car is not out yet so I apologize for coming off so harsh, these are my personal beleifs, I can keep them to myself until the car is out.

The GT-R weighs 3836 lbs (Officially) so I'm not so quick to consider the base model a major player just yet.

Get it now?

Why are you here anyway?

Whatever man, when you get on the track it's about who can handle the car better. These cars are comparable in the performance category because they are both supercar peroformers.

No I dont get it, you are making up stuff to put the Viper in a category of it's own and not deal with the competition, the viper can hold it's own, it doesnt need you backing out of competition that it can surely be competitive in.

No you are not. Why would you expect anybody to think that you are a Viper fan when there is NOTHING about the Viper you like. It is too heavy, it has no tech, it is too difficult for you to drive and it is too uncomfortable for you to drive. That's fine, I don't mind if somebody doesn't like the same cars I like, but don't pretend to be Viper fan. Nobody is gonna buy that.

It's been fun. Now go back to your nanny car forums.

I never said I dont like the viper, the tech is for the clowns that wreck the car.

too difficult for me to drive, hahahhaha, ok man whatever.

You really have something against traction control dont you!!!!! Sounds like some childhood withdrawl. You need to seek help, and soon.

But like I said, I'll be to your neck of the woods soon (January likely with winterfest) and I'll make sure you know how close I am to your times if I dont beat them my first time ever on sebring.

But of course you'll blame the nannies that I turned off.

Whoaa GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Bluestreek, let me get this straight.....

You come over to a viper forum pushing your GT2 .... then claim how NOT close on a track the gen 3 and Z06 is, then complete your same sentence with how the GT2 in a pro drivers hands will dominate the viper...and then the best part..end it with "THIS IS WHAT I"M ASSUMING WILL HAPPEN." Are you really comparing two cars that arent out yet???? Please tell me you're not hahaaha

Warfang

Enthusiast
Reaction score

You come over to a viper forum pushing your GT2 .... then claim how NOT close on a track the gen 3 and Z06 is, then complete your same sentence with how the GT2 in a pro drivers hands will dominate the viper...and then the best part..end it with "THIS IS WHAT I"M ASSUMING WILL HAPPEN." Are you really comparing two cars that arent out yet???? Please tell me you're not hahaaha

Don't mind him... he's still learning to count to 3 today. He owns a pouuurshh... explains a lot. :rolaugh:

bluestreak

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I've been battling fanboys long enough but the specs point to the GT2 being much faster than the Z06 and Viper. I'm not pushing anything, I'm not a salesman, I got carried away after reading Chuck's post. I beleive the GT2 will be more competition for the blue-devil than the 08 or Z06. It has run the ring in 7:32 which is in a whole different league from the viper and Z06. I beleive the viper if tested properly could be in the mid-high 7:30's as could the Z06 with better tires. But not close enough to the GT2.

I'll leave it alone, I've had enough of arguing about cars that arent out yet. Time will tell, but the GT2 will be a beast, mark my words. Better hope there is an ACR. ;)

Whoaa

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I've been battling fanboys long enough but the specs point to the GT2 being much faster than the Z06 and Viper. ;)

Well I don't think i need to comment any further on what the specs say about your last couple posts.

Thats great you have a Porsche, great cars. Have several friends with them. So when the GT2 that comes out and (as you assume) is the fastest thing on four wheels this benefits you how??? Report back when you have one and have raced the new 08 around a track. Then we can take the ASSUMING and guesswork out of your posts:eater:

SnakeBitten

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've been battling fanboys long enough but the specs point to the GT2 being much faster than the Z06 and Viper. I'm not pushing anything, I'm not a salesman, I got carried away after reading Chuck's post. I beleive the GT2 will be more competition for the blue-devil than the 08 or Z06. It has run the ring in 7:32 which is in a whole different league from the viper and Z06. I beleive the viper if tested properly could be in the mid-high 7:30's as could the Z06 with better tires. But not close enough to the GT2.

I'll leave it alone, I've had enough of arguing about cars that arent out yet. Time will tell, but the GT2 will be a beast, mark my words. Better hope there is an ACR. ;)

Ring times mean jack over here bro....Look no further than the last C&D lightening lap where both Z06 and Viper went against each other...Same day same approximate time same driver etc...Keep in mind the track is 4+ miles long...Long enough for the Z06 to exert its dominance over the Viper.....It only beat the Viper by .5 in 4+ miles...Yes it won but makes you put Ring times in perspective...

To break it down further so you see exactly where Im coming from lets consider the Ring times...According to the Ring the Z06 is over 30secs faster then the Viper....That kind of superiority would show up on most tracks especially a long one like VIR with comparable turns like the Ring.....Why then only a .5 advantage for the Z06???Ring times dont mean squat unless both cars had MFG times behind them...The Viper has never had the benefit of Chrysler development or factory sponsored laps of the Ring....BTW the Viper also ran VIR faster then the 997 911 tt...You know the 911 did a Z06 beating 7:40 at the Ring...The Ring is a nice accomplishment but its far from a foolproof way to judge which car will be faster on every track..

Also look at the Vipers history vs the 911.....It dominated the 993 911TT on tracks even though the 993 911TT did much better times at the Ring..Check old MT or C&D articles if you dont believe me.......Lets just wait and see what both are capable of before we all cast our votes....To not give the Viper a chance is foolish...Its only had a history of humbling the technomarvels of the supercar world....I too think the GT2 will edge it out but I cant see it embarassing the Viper by more than 1-2secs...I think it will be close enough to be a drivers race...Cant wait for the head to head...

OP
OP
M

MbnViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
dont get me wrong ! im a Porsche owner but for some reason and some may find it unbelievable

i picked the 08 viper and called Porsche dealership and told them i changed my mind and i wont buy the GT2.

i dont know why ! maybe because i love vipers a lot ! or maybe because i see porches everywhere now !

and honestly i totally agree with Chuck, vipers are bare bones drivers car

but at the end we all buy what we like :) so all good