A little sluggish

Car Lover

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Vancouver Island, British Columbia, Canada
I Last drove a 1996 RT/10 6years ago and now own a 1995 RT/10(for about a month now). I've heard people say that in first gear if you roll the throttle on the car will break loose....I seem to remember that with the 1996. If mine doesn't do that is it tune-up time? Is this because the computers/fuel injection are different between the to years? My car has 12,000 miles completely stock, I think original plugs.
Thanks Dave

Nexus-6

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Stock tires with 12K on them or new? That will change things a great deal...

My 2002 GTS won't break the rears loose from a roll - the new Pilots just hook and launch ya.

Add 10K miles to them and I'd be surprised if I didn't get some slippage...

Viper Specialty

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
In my car with cats, exhaust, and VEC1 at 7K miles on a perfect road on a nice day, the tires grab for traction -(start breaking loose)- in the upper end of a roll-on in first, and break loose shifting to second, third, and even pulled off forth once... If its colder, night time, bumpy road, concrete, or poor pavement mixture... forget it, back end breaks loose and swings around.

Viper Specialty

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Car Lover- I suspect it would, as the stock performance compared to now isnt "insane", it just does the above easier. 50 HP on my car Vs. the earlier models peakier torque curve makes them about equal I suspect.