ABS or non for a newbie

Red Snake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The one time I think I needed ABS it didn't kick in or maybe it did but I don't recall feeling that pulsing sensation or change in brake pedal height as I had my foot firmly planted on the brake. Not paying attention (<-- Mistake #1 (can't fix stupid) ) I was about to go right through a stop sign at roughly 40mph. It was one of those "What a nice day...LA LA LA...OH SH*T Stop sign going by!!!" moments. I hit the brakes, hard. I come to a screeching halt, screeching because my brakes locked up. I laid a nice path of rubber on the road and managed to stop only half-way through the stop sign. I did stop in a straight line, no turning. However, on the track very quickly slowing down from 140mph or so to make a left turn onto an infield road course (pocono) I can feel my ABS working, no lockup, but I'm braking in a straight line not in the turn (obviously).

See.....ABS doesn't even work. :rolaugh:

:eater:

ViperTony

Enthusiast
Reaction score
See.....ABS doesn't even work. :rolaugh:

:eater:

It does but I think I've become so accustomed to having it on my cars that I don't even think about it, like ever, until I saw this thread. I can't recall driving a non-ABS vehicle in the last 10 years or so. It's there and it works when it needs to, I guess.

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
So you've flat spotted your tires at the track in a non-ABS car, but getting into the ABS in a newer car for trackers is rare? :dunno:

Experienced trackers have told me so. Tommy Archer for one. I don't have ABS so I can't say with any first hand experience.

As for myself, the first couple years my tires were shaped like stop signs. The past few years rarely.

If you watch F1 (which does NOT allow ABS) you'll see a driver or two lock up each race. Usually during an aggressive pass. In a field of 20 cars doing 60 laps, I consider a couple lockups rare.

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
As to tracking and ABS usage I would strongly state that ABS is invoked many times by most drivers.

That is what I've always assumed but Tommy Archer stated otherwise. I've also heard many folks say they didn't think they activated the ABS.

I guess I'll have to get an ABS Viper and find out for myself. Nah. ;)

Red Shift

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you only select ABS cars you're outta the running for a B/W GTS!

No ABS here and the front lock pretty easily. I'm locked them at speeds at high as 100mph on the highway during a quick decceleration. The car goes straight when that happens, so get off the brake and load them up more gradually.

I have been talking with Tom and the 40mm rear brake upgrade sounds like the ticket.

Purdue_Boiler_Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Depends upon what you are going to do with the car. I've got an 01, exactly for the reason you are asking about. But, have never activated the ABS, even on the track. If you plan on driving the car hard, or tracking it aggressively, then go for it. Otherwise, you won't need it.