ACR Question

93Cobra

Enthusiast
Reaction score
He Guys,

I am checking out a 01 ACR and as I was going over it I noticed it has fog lights. My understanding was that all the ACR's had deleted fog lights to conserve weight. Is having fog light part of a package?

thanks

bloose

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I noticed that on a few ACRs that i was looking at over the last 2 years before I bought mine. Instantly I questioned whether it really was an ACR or a GTS with stickers, badges, etc. That's good that you're paying attention to details.

My guess is that they were possibly added on by the dealer at the new owners request or just installed at sometime after purchase. The other possiblity is that the car sustained severe damage and the rebuilder was not aware that the ACR was delivered with foglight delete. :shocked: Definitely something to question.

It's not a deal breaker but it should lead to investigate a little bit more on the car.

Ulysses

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Fog lights were an add on option, as well as AC and radio.

Uhh, I just had a senior moment. I just convinced myself that fog lights weren't an add on option, but I do remember some others cutting out the plugs and adding fog lights.

Fast Freddy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
i don't think that fog lights were an option on the car when ordered new from the factory. i think that the only way you could get the fog lights was after the car was built and at the dealer. then the dealer would put them in. i don't think the factory would do it.

OP
OP

93Cobra

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I noticed that on a few ACRs that i was looking at over the last 2 years before I bought mine. Instantly I questioned whether it really was an ACR or a GTS with stickers, badges, etc. That's good that you're paying attention to details.

My guess is that they were possibly added on by the dealer at the new owners request or just installed at sometime after purchase. The other possiblity is that the car sustained severe damage and the rebuilder was not aware that the ACR was delivered with foglight delete. :shocked: Definitely something to question.

It's not a deal breaker but it should lead to investigate a little bit more on the car.

Bloose, so you did come accross some with fog lights that were real ACR's that had no been wrecked?

46hemi

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Easy add on as all of the wiring is still present. I dont know for sure if it could have been ordered but if I recall correctly the answer is no. The VIN will tell you if its an ACR, thats for sure.

bloose

Viper Owner
Reaction score
93cobra,

For most of the last 2 years the ACRs were priced a little out of my range so I never did pursue one seriously enough to require me to investigate fully. I have seen fogs on an ACR though.

The one thing I have learned from the smart people here is to question everything about a car that you don't know the history of. Trust your instincts. If something seems wrong or odd, you might be right.

For instance another thing that would make me question the car is if it didn't have smooth tubes or the K&N's air filters, unless they were replaced with something "better".

I don't know enough about the mechanicals of the car to be able to check for damage repair, but others here would. Sometimes somthing as obvious as the rear half of the suspension components look 6 years old and somewhat worn, but the front end looks shiny and new. Also, black plastic tends to age and turn greyish over time. See if there are any "too new" looking pieces.

Definitely have it inspected by someone if you're not sure. There are a lot of great people here that might look a car over for you if you post some pictures of girls posing with your car. :2tu:

46hemi

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Cobra, another thing if you PM me the VIN I may have it in my personal db of ACR's that I have accumulated. I have about 30% of the ACRs documented..it may be on there.

OP
OP

93Cobra

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks for all the replys guys. I will get the vin number from the owner and go from there.

Inferno

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Thanks for all the replys guys. I will get the vin number from the owner and go from there.

93cobra: I am almost 100% sure that the fogs are a factory option on acr's. ACR's had an option called the "comfort package". This includes A/C, fog's, and radio. More acr's have the comfort package than do not.

OP
OP

93Cobra

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hi Inferno: Yeah that is why I was asking if it was part of the "comfort package". I know this package included ac and radio but I was not sure about the fogs. If you are right and it was an option, then im good to go.

:D

Camfab

Enthusiast
Reaction score
1) Fog lights were NOT an option.
2) Yes it's possible that they were put in after
3) Run the VIN at the Dodge dealer

The beauty about modern day muscle is that records of all Vipers manufactured exist with complete info. The dealer can not only tell you if the car is an ACR, but can give any service data which may have been done at Dodge. All recall info. is also available. One thing that should be noted however. I would not buy an ACR with any of it's options missing. Dodge has priced these parts so high that any gains in lower price you may initially gain will be painfully paid for later.

Items to be checked

1) BBS one piece wheel- any curb rash or bent? $2800 EACH
2) Factory smooth tubes have bends and are black. $200 pair
3) ACR harness's unsure of cost, but Dodge has an ongoing recall where they update the harness's to meet FIA requirements.
4) Dash plaque, unsure of cost, but it ain't cheap
5) ACR oil cooler adapter about $350
6) Dynamic coilover assembly, make sure they are not leaking. My 2000 has the earlier Koni assy, and they are approx. $3200 EACH!
7) Dodge Max Care warranty is worth more than GOLD on these cars.

Inferno

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I stand corrected. I googled a bit and I believe camfab is right, they were not a factory option. I still think the acr's without the comfort package are more rare, but it does not include fog's. Here is one of the better links I found:

http://www.allpar.com/model/vipacr.htm

AZTVR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Previous owner said he added the foglights to my ACR. Funny, he made a big deal out of talking about keeping it original. I don't really care, as long as the original bits are supplied with the car so that it could be put back the way it was delivered. However, I'm not sure if adding foglights required cutting the hood, or were there blanking plates?

dblankenbaker

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Previous owner said he added the foglights to my ACR. Funny, he made a big deal out of talking about keeping it original. I don't really care, as long as the original bits are supplied with the car so that it could be put back the way it was delivered. However, I'm not sure if adding foglights required cutting the hood, or were there blanking plates?

The plastic blanking plates are screwed on. He should have given them to you.

CANTDRIVE55

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The comfort package listed for $1100 on my original window sticker...No Fogs...that's a dealer add-on.

Jcoopacr2000

Enthusiast
Reaction score
What CAMFAB said. I only got ADDED CARE extended warranty on my 2000 car. I also have the earlier Koni shocks . front ones are leaking,MAX CARE would have covered this . Any one have any idea where i can send these for a rebuild ?

Camfab

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Jcoopacr2000, contact

Koni North America
1961 International Way
Heyborn, KY 41048
(859) 586-4100

Your car came equipped with the 2812 Race Damper w/Hyperco spring. These shocks are considered superior to the later Dynamic shocks which were considered near impossible to tune correctly. Get them rebuilt ASAP as oil diminishes so does the likelyhood of permanent damage.

stangkilr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Jcoop...where should i look to tell if the shocks are leaking or not?

2002_Viper_GTS_ACR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I know the ins and outs of the ACR 01-02 probably better then most. I bought mine brand new, and put near 60k miles on it before selling it. Fog Lights are NOT an option on an ACR, however, they are EASILY installed, and I did just that with mine. The only thing you need is the relay to plug into the relay box in the engine compartment, 2 OEM fog lights and 2 pig tails to connect the lights to the factory wiring loom which already is run to those lights. The black block off plates are removed very easily, with a small wratchet wrench, and easily accessible by the factory installed access panels. There is no cutting, butchering or anything. Its easy to return it to OEM, but why do that? ITs not like the fog delete saved you much weight, and dodge left most everything in (including the switch to activate them, wiring, and block out plates(which also have weight) in the car, put the Fog lights in, its worth it.

BTW Snake Oyl, makes a kit so anyone can do the install. They are who I bought all the pieces from to do the install, fairly painless, give Snake Oyl a call if you are interested in doing this to your ACR.

Jon

Saint_Spinner

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Wan't the main reason behind the lack of Fog lights was that it acted as an extra vent that would help keep the brakes cooler? I thought I read that in Viper Buyer's guide. Someone correct me if I'm wrong...I don't they they mentioned weight savings for the fog lights...

46hemi

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yeah, it was but as it turns out it was not working out. Alot of bendy ductwork and at speeds the placement of the duct didnt really accomplish much due to negative pressue or something to that effect. A cool attempt though :)

2002_Viper_GTS_ACR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
it was for weight savings, like the deletion of the AC and the radio, it was NEVER meant to be used as a brake cooling duct once in production, there is no way to effectively get at the brakes from there without drilling holes. I am pretty sure it was soley for weight saving, like all the other delete items.

Jon

Jcoopacr2000

Enthusiast
Reaction score
STANGKILR: Not sure where shock leak originates. I had noticed a few drops of oil on garage floor. Removed right front wheel, shock was pretty much covered with oil. Ride had become harsher. front seemed to bounce. CAMFAB: Thanks for the address for Koni.

ACR steve

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Check out where the car was built for? The reason I say this is I have a 99 Canadian ACR that has comfort options and has the fog light covers (suppose to be not available in 99)and its definitely factory installed and has day time running lights again factory.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
webironmongery