Advice for Purchase of Viper with Primary Utilization on Road Course

97 Viper GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hello,

I am an avid and motivated (albeit novice) road course driver. I primarily drive a modified Nissan 300ZX TT (470rwhp) at MotorSport Ranch in Cresson, TX. I am seriously contemplating upgrading my track car to a Viper, and I was wondering if some of the experienced road course drivers on this forum could give me some advice.

I have approximately $50K to invest in the car (I know, this finite amount might even preclude Viper ownership, but I hope not), and will be using the car almost exclusively at the track. I was wondering what your rough estimation for monthly maintenance costs would be, provided I track the car non-competitively approximately 3-4 days a month, 2-3 hours at a time. I was also wondering what things I should inspect on the car (beyond the normal compression/leak down test, rotors, calipers, tranny/dif/oil/PS leaks, etc), and if there are any model-specific issues in reference to usage at the road course. I suspect that I will get a late '90s GTS, but any advice on that would also be appreciated. Any advice on where to actually FIND my Viper would also be great. I am planning on test driving a couple of Bobby Archer's Vipers this weekend at MSR, as he has been kind enough to allow me this privelage. I have always loved the Viper, and I look forward to Viper ownership (now or in the future) with eager anticipation.

Thanks for your time,

Shawn

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you know you are going to use it primarily for track then I would get one of the track-prepped VRL Vipers. There are a few for sale.

Maintenance cost for 3-4 days per month? That's a lot of trackin'.
Tires $1000
Fluids $500
Pads $500
Ballpark figures of course.

OP
OP

97 Viper GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks for your advice. I am fortunate to live within an hour of MSR, so I often head down there 3-4 days a month. I usually only track a few hours each day, however. Around $2K a month is manageable. I assume you are referring to Hoosiers for $1K. What about running a stiffer R compound (eg Toyo RA-1s)? I know they will not perform as well as Hoosiers (for one), but they definitely out-last them.

Thanks for the advice on the VRL. Do you think picking up a good one for $50K is reasonable?

Hisserman

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Check the classifieds section of this web site and eBay for cars for sale. Ask for help on this site for someone local to a car being sold to help you check it out.

OP
OP

97 Viper GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks. Already contemplating a couple of cars on ebay. Most of them are stock, so I thought it might be more cost-effective (although possibly higher risk) to purchase a race-prepped car. Any local Dallas/Ft. Worth members on here that track their cars regularly?

Janni

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Please send me an email (if I don't get to you first) - we have a winning ViperDays GT1 car for sale for close to your price range. It's ready to go and dependable. It's safe. The local track rats know the car - it sat on the pole at ViperDays at Motorsport Ranch last year - faster than the Comp Coupes.

Janni Cone

jrkermode

Enthusiast
Reaction score
To get a good idea on running costs, look into rental prices. Racers have a tendency towards absent mindedness when it comes to actual running costs. The rental price will be similar to the do-it-yourself price plus travel expenses.

If you do end up shopping for a "race" car. Remember typical transaction prices are a fraction of the asking price. However, you'll need that "extra" money to give the car a thorough going over before you run it.

While you're at MSR this weekend, say hello to my buddy Mike. He's shaking down his newly built GTS. Oh, and don't believe anything Mike says about costs. He stopped counting long, long ago.

Doc.

Enthusiast
Reaction score
While you're looking, check out my T-1 car in the classifieds. This was Bobby's T-1 and it is ready to go right now, it needs nothing. He has maintained the car since I've owned it and he can tell you all about it. Also, remember that a T-1 car can be legal in NASA, SCCA, Viper days, and VRL, giving you lots of opportunities to race.I'm a member of MSR also and I can take it to the track for a test drive if you wish. 318-773-5998
Doc

NDW

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Shawn,

Give Doc a call and check his car out at MSR. Janni's car is a little farther away, but a very nice car as well. You wouldn't go wrong either way. I would recommend getting a track prepared car from the start. If you don't, you will end up spending many $$ ($40,000+) above the price of a stock Viper to end up with a track car prepared like these two are. Doc and Janni's cars are both prepared and ready to go to the track as they sit. The cheapest route is to buy a dedicated track car from the start.

My $.02.

OP
OP

97 Viper GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks for the advice. I am going to test drive a couple of Archer's cars tomorrow, and then look at a '97 GTS for sale in Dallas on Sunday. I think race-prepped is the way to go, as you have indicated. I will give Doc a call in the next few days before I decide on my purchase.

Thank you all- I will keep you posted (fingers crossed-lol)...

Shawn

Paul Hawker

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Shawn.

You are on the right track. You can purchase a track proven Viper with $50,000 worth of track upgrades for......$50,000....the car is thrown in free, when you buy the mods. Much better than buying a $50,000 car, and then spending $$$$, time etc.

A side note, is you can get a fully sorted out car, with lots of time spent setting it up.

NDW

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Be sure and test drive all of the cars and go over them to the best of your ability. None of the cars are going to get sold out from underneath you, take your time and make a wise decision. I don't know the other cars you are looking at in the metroplex, but I know Doc's car has had virtually every drive train component replaced in the past 12 months, with probably fewer than 5 track days on them. It is almost as new.

Rich Wesorick

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Shawn:

I'm really hoping Bobby is letting you drive my former car - the #2 Speedvision car. It's well built and tons of fun. With a few upgrades, it'll be a frontrunner. Best of all - we're very receptive to offers...

Rich

Tomcat

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Shawn, if you have not found a car yet you may want to consider my car which is now for sale. PM me for details.

Tom

GTS Bruce

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Don't bother.Find a used busch cup car set up for roadracing.Faster,less expensive to purchase,maintian,operate.Safer and more reliable.Or how about an asphalt modified?Cars from the NE are used at WG,Limerock,etc.Talk about a light,cheap,sturdy as a tank,easy to maintain mother of all intimidating track cars.I'v seen and driven a busch cup type car on an 3/8 mile oval.14 sec laps!While the modifieds were running 12 sec laps.Way too fast for me. GTS Bruce

Janni

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Bruce,
While that may be accurate with regard to cost, there's no way it can compare with the support and comraderie that you can get from tracking / racing a Viper. All over the country at Viper Days and even Speed GT, there is a tremendous support network that thrives on helping the new racer / driver go faster, be safer, and have more fun. At Viper Days, it's one of the few venues that you can truly judge how well you are doing as a sriver - both by comapring your lap times with others and even with yers past because of the consistency.

We've raced Viper Days and SCCA and there is no comparison on the amount of track time, the learning that goes on and the support for th eattendees.

Matbe if you are an accomplished racer and wrench, the Cup car is for you - but if you want to learn as you go - there's no better deal than ViperDays.

GTS Bruce

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Agree 100% Janni.If you want to do it in a Viper you want to do it in a Viper.However think of what a monster you would have on the track with a big block asphalt modified at track days or vintage racing.In regards to the scca(Silly car club of america)been there.What are there around 87 classes now?Waste a whole weekend waiting for your 5 minutes of track time. GTS Bruce

Janni

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Bruce,
It's up to 89 classes and track time reduced to 4.5 minutes. Just kidding.

I think that there are tons of ways to race, and each has its strengths and weaknesses. A lot of your initial costs will vary based on car, but many of your operating costs will be similar - things like gas, tires (unless you have a good supply of Goodyear scrubs), fluids, transportation, fees, lodging, etc.

Personally, we've truly enjoyed the Viper Racing League and I think we've learned a whole lot in the environment - so that's why it's easy to recommend wholeheartedly - especially as a venue to move up from running time trial type events to wheel to wheel racing - we've not found a series where folks help one another go faster, share information, loan parts and experts, etc. After 2 years, we hope to move into that mentoring role, as we truly appreciate all the help / advice / guidance we received from folks such as Mike and Jim McCann, Sonny Whelen and Ted Marsh and others, and want to see that type of environment continue.

Bill Pemberton Woodhouse

VCA Member
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Couldn't agree more with the idea of purchasing a ready built Viper RaceCar. You will spend oodles of dollars to get one prepped to the extent most of these cars have been morphed into. Save the dollars and get on the track sooner.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
techanvi