After market baffle free air box

Nexus-6

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I did the same thing - give Jon at Parts Rack a call and ask for the debaffled airbox. Great unit, not too much $$.

GTSII

Enthusiast
Reaction score
does the parts rack box provide adequate protection against getting water into the system, so that you can safely drive in the rain?

FE 065

Enthusiast
Reaction score
you might want to carry something in the car for heavy rain. you just need to block rain from hitting the filters directly...wouldn't take anything hi-tech

FE 065

Enthusiast
Reaction score
By the way, you can buy just the front half of the airbox from Dodge,it's less than $200. I think I read JonB's airbox is about $260.

Reaction score
you might want to carry something in the car for heavy rain. you just need to block rain from hitting the filters directly...wouldn't take anything hi-tech

Like this?

falsie4.jpg

falsie5.jpg

Ron

Enthusiast
Reaction score
A baffle free airbox feels good, but unfortunately adds no power.

jimandela

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ron,
none?
[******] it!
though for sure a few.. figured more air in .... no?

[******] it!

oh well... thanks for telling me before i went forward.
thanks
Jim

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
PartsRack has 2 choices:

K+N Twin-Cone Carbon box, Under $550. Most others sell above $600-$900

We also offer a new, de-baffled OEM box, nicely finished, for WAAY under $300.

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
does the parts rack box provide adequate protection against getting water into the system, so that you can safely drive in the rain?

Frankly, NO.......if you have a downpour. THE OE box can hangle buckets of water poured thru it in a wind tunnel. (That is how T.V. tested it!)

Any Light rain that passes thru the K+N filters is just vaporized in the combustion process.

If you have our de-baffled box and get caught in a deluge, pull over under a brinds or just slow down........

CAUTION: Do YOU know what shape your K+Ns are? Do you faithfully clean and re-oil every 3500-500 miles? Better yet, Do you have a spare, cleaned+oiled set to swap-out at every oil change? Hmmmm? Out-oF-sight....out of mind. But VITAL to ling engine life.........

SapphireGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Man. I think people obsess a little too much about the air intake. People end up spending a grand before they get an air box filter combination they like. Get some OE replacement K&N and make some smooth tubes out of 2 1/2 inch Napa hose. Very inexpensive and you get all the benefit of these pre-made vender tubes for ALOT less. Plus for 40 dollars you get enough napa tube to make 2+ sets of smooth tubes. Looks nice and clean too.

Then move onto bigger things like exhaust and heads.

Good Luck!

McGuireV10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
CAUTION: Do YOU know what shape your K+Ns are? Do you faithfully clean and re-oil every 3500-500 miles? Better yet, Do you have a spare, cleaned+oiled set to swap-out at every oil change? Hmmmm? Out-oF-sight....out of mind. But VITAL to ling engine life.........

3500 miles would be more than a little obsessive-compulsive.

Ron

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Jim;

I dyno'd at 435 with the stock airbox, K&N & smooth tubes. Removed the front of the airbox (naked K&N's fully exposed) and dyno'd 435 again. Same day, 20 mins apart, same engine temp.

Forward motion won't help either as the NACA duct provides virtually zero ram effect.

Nice idea, but a "feel good" item only.

I do have a debaffled front airbox section for sale though if you want to "feel good"!

FE 065

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ron,how much for the de-baffled front section?? Do you have a picture of it?