Ahhhhh... Best day with the Viper so far

DLTARNU

Suspended
Reaction score
Got up early and spent 4 hours detailing the snake. With the **** weather we've been having in SoFla, 5 weeks so far with no real end in sight, the car was a mess.

Wait, let me back-up a few hours. The coolness actually started yesterday evening. I was leaving the class I'm taking in Dania Beach to head back to Homestead a little after 4:00. Go onto I-95 from Sheridan Street and ran smack into a traffic jam. Couldn't figure it out as it was only 4:00, and though it was overcast it wasn't raining. After about 5 minutes I see the problem.

This section of I-95 is 5 lanes wide. In the center lane, a fiberglass ladder had fallen off a truck and was laying across the lane. So, of course, everyone decides that the best way to deal with it is by leaving it there and driving around it...

The cars from the center lane are trying to merge into the parallel lanes, which forces the cars there to the outside lanes. So you have 1 ladder effectively choking 5 lanes of traffic on a very major interstate. The car directly in front of the ladder, and at a complete standstill, was 2 cars ahead of me when I managed to get into a parallel lane. Instead of driving past like the rest of the ********, I pulled around the ladder, into the center lane, then backed-up to the ladder. Hit the emergency flashers, got out of the car, grabbed the ladder and carried it over to the emergency lane to discard it.

So here's the scene: a black Viper with emergeny lights on in the center lane of I-95 blocking traffic, with me, in a rather foul mood, carrying this beat up ladder across two lanes of traffic to the emergency lane. Those two lanes stopped completely while I crossed, and the opposite two lanes stopped completely for all I can figure is to watch the show. Walked back to the car, was getting honks and waves of appreciation on the way, and when I slide in I look forward and see NOTHING. Center lane, I-95, ABSOLUTELY WIDE OPEN. None of the cars would proceed until I left, and in the time it took me to move the ladder and get back to the car, the road ahead was completely empty for about a half mile. I looked back and the cars were bumper-to-bumper as far as I could see still in the jam. I could kick myself for not taking a pic with the Viper in front and hundreds of cars waiting to proceed behind it :cool:

So I ask, what would you do with hunreds of eyeballs on you and a half mile of wide open I-95 in your way? That's right, baby. LIGHT 'EM UP!

For those who live near the Sheridan St. exit, I'm sure you can still see the LOOOOOONNNNGGGG, deep, black rubber marks I burned into the asphalt on northbound I-95. The jam disappeared in my rear view as the other traffic came up quick. Hit 120 before I had to slow down, tho :laugh:

So back to the detailing. Four hours of it and the car is looking great. And holy crap, what's this? SUNNY SKIES?!? For the first time in 5 freakin' weeks we had a sunny day. Off comes the top, pick up a friend and we head to Coconut Grove for lunch. Tortilla soup and Coronas at Señor Frogs with a parking place right next to our outside table; an extremely difficult feat for those familiar with parking in the Grove. Waitresses flirting, girls on the sidewalks smiling and waving - and I was WITH a girl! A little shopping at Banana Republic, get some clothes for my trip to Europe, back in the car and head home down Old Cutler Road.

Old Cutler Road is, hands down, the best road in Miami to drive for pleasure. It's flat and winding, with much of it covered by a canopy of trees. It was the evening so it was relatively cool. Just a very nice, top-down drive on the way home. Hanging out with an old friend, light buzz from the Coronas, belly full of tortilla soup - nice time :laugh:

Drop her off and start to head back home down US1. Lots of traffic, so lots of fingerpointing, waving, etc. Classic Ford roadster pulls up next to me, we swap thumbs-ups; a few Harleys keep pace while the rider eyefucks the car. Turn off US1 to a backroad that goes through farmland out towards Homestead race track. Wide lanes, sparse traffic, time to open her up. Cruise up to 100MPH and make the run towards Homestead. A few more turns and I get on Speedway Blvd - the road that takes you to Homestead Motor Speedway. Posted speed limit of 40 MPH, but hell it's Saturday evening and no one is around, certainly not the cops way out here, right? Wrong. Going 60 and I come up on a cop. He sees me coming and pulls out into the lane next to the one I'm traveling in. Great way to the end the day, with a speeding ticket 3 minutes from home.

He keeps slowing down until I'm right next to him. Just me and him on the road. He rolls down the passenger side window and shouts, "If you don't floor that thing, you don't have a hair on your ass!" RIGHT AWAY, SIR!

I smiled, dropped into second and roared away from him. Pulled into the garage about a few minutes later with a thunderstorm heading in over the Everglades.

Good Viper day. And not all cops are assholes :laugh:

PhoenixGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My miniature version is that Thursday, for the first time in three for sure, and maybe four months, I drove to work (in the Viper this time) WITHOUT THE AIR CONDITIONING ON! And with the windows open. For those of you who have ever lived in the desert, you know what a big deal this is. Then I washed the car Friday night (which would be a lot more enjoyable were it not for various not-yet-understandable leaks which cause the car to smell a little bit like a mid-western basement). Come on winter.

Bob K

Enthusiast
Reaction score
UNRATLD,
Great story! I must admit you have more balls than me. With my luck the cop would have been egging me into a trap givien me a ticket.

Bob K

trainville

VCA Venom Member
Reaction score
I can appreciate it all but the driving with "the light buzz from the Coronas." DRIVE SOBER! Rock on.....glad you found a cool cop!

V 10 MAFIA

Enthusiast
Reaction score
A video of the viper highway burnout with a sea of cars on looking in the background would have been priceless. Dodge could definitely use that for an ad. especially now. Damn good day. I wouldn't have dropped off the girl though. She could have led you to her other single friends to stop by and say hi. Ha. I am starting to always keep a video camera in the car because you never know what you may experience in a viper.

unreelviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Unratld.....Thanks for letting me know that there is a "SUN" in The Sunshine State. I was down in Orlando, Tampa and Daytona last week and it rained just about everday. I was beggining to wonder how does anybody keep there snake clean...... I'm glad to see sunny weather is finally heading your way......and you are right, all cops aren't a**holes!! GREAT STORY!!!

OP
OP
D

DLTARNU

Suspended
Reaction score
I can appreciate it all but the driving with "the light buzz from the Coronas." DRIVE SOBER!

When I say "light buzz" I mean the lightest of light buzzes - 3 beers spaced out over 2.5 hours, in addition to eating quite a bit along with the drinks, so the absorption rate was slow and steady.

I've been paranoid about DUI since high school and now doubly so since I got the Viper.

YouWish

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Cool story keep them coming. I live in South Dakota and the Sturgis bike rally just ended. For you not familiar with it is is the biggest Harley ralley in the world. A small town of 5,000 becomes nearly 200,000 with a sea of bikes/humanity everywhere. Anyway I decided to brave it(bike drivers are crazy on the road)and take my Viper up a couple nights. This is a time I wish the Viper had 10 seats. So many beautiful women were asking for rides while creeping along in traffic. I took my 8 year old son Austin up one of the days and talk about being embarrased. All the pretty girls were smiling at him and waving he kept ducking down in the Viper to hide. We drove by the ******* tent and talk about hotties they definately flew those women in. 4 women came from behind the counter to check out the Viper and take pictures. It was a good time. Now I just need to find it in my budget to get a custom made chopper those are bad-ass!!!

Mike 99ACR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Not all cops are Assholes!

I agree. I had just replaced a burnt spark plug wire one day and thought I'll take it out for a quick spin and test. Well its a 45 limit on main road in front of the entry to my subdivision. I'm sitting at a red light with no cars at all in front of me light turns green and I get on it real quick before I have to turn in to subdivision. I make the turn look in my mirror and theres a cop behind me. Where the hell did he come from? He follows me all the way to my street I turn right he turns his lights on. He walks up to car and asked me if I new how fast I was going. I don't know maybe 80 and he said 88. I said sorry was just testing after replacing wire. Then he said now guess how fast you were going the 2ND time. I said what do you mean a 2ND time, after you turned into the subdivision anyway he said I was going 40 in a 25. I said officer this car idles at 40 sorry.

Then all the sudden he changes his whole demeanor and says so how fast have you had this up to? I said 170, and he said THATS ALL I've had my motorcycle faster than that! Then told me be careful and let me go. What a break not even a written warning.

So then I drive down to my house on a big cul de sac pull in my drive get out of car and there he was going around the cul de sac, turns on his PA speaker and says NOW I KNOW WHERE YOU LIVE. :D

hemibeep

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Mike...where in tampa?? ? Not to close to Oldsmar I hope...Getting very close to joining the tampa crowd......Fired the car up for the first time today. Yes, hearing the car run for the first time ever definately qualifies as the "BEST DAY WITH THE VIPER SO FAR"

P.S. the nieghbors came by and said "not again!"
I guess open exhaust was a bit much

Mike 99ACR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
New Tampa on Bruce B. Downs. There was another time in Pinellas County about 6 Vipers out cruising around. Sir Hiss took us to a place where street racers hang out. American muscle cars not ricers. Anyway cops show and everyone hauls ass to get out of there except us. One of the cops was talking to Tony and just told us don't ever come back or else.

So we leave and cops leave with us. I was in the back of the pack following and one of the cops was going kind of slow in the inside lane so I drove by him just keeping pace with everyone. The next thing I know the cop is on my ass with lights on so I pull over. He gets out and walks up to my car and says I can't believe you just past me. I said what I was keeping pace with all the other Vipers.

Next thing you know the other cop car stops too. After acting firm with me and telling me he could have gave us all tickets for spectating street racing. Rather than giving a ticket they ask me to open my hood and all kinds of questions aout the car.

Meanwhile everyone was waiting up ahead in a parking lot. :D

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
potterb4