And so it begins *** DEALER MARKUP***

swexlin

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I'm thinking these dealerships already are aware that the informed buyer is familiar with the big Viper dealers, the ones that will sell at sticker. Do they really have an incentive to compete with the MSRP dealers when they are only allocated a couple? That sounds like real work. I'm thinking they'd rather look for a sucker to get a big fat score out of it instead of building a long term Viper/SRT franchise. :crazy2:

I agree with this as well.

Policy Limits

Enthusiast
Reaction score
if u want a LE its an easy fix actually. u just pay a 25k premium to not miss 1/2 of the season. I actually think its worth that value since time is worth way more than money. If i wasnt set on my custom order I'd probably do it.

Newport Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Whoa.. whoa.. whoa... these Dealers in 2013 are way behind the times ($$) on a new Viper model... What is $199K (1992) in todays dollars? I guess the '13 isnt as big a splash as in '92.. :headbang:

:usa::usa::usa::usa:

4382scan0011.JPG

doctorbob

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Went shopping in Phoenix today for some stuff for the house remodel....dropped in at Airpark Dodge in Scottsdale. They have a LE and a SRT track edition. 25k markups on both of them. Talked to a to one of the salesmen....actually a nice guy. Had my ACR shirt on.....he did not have a clue. I got to sit in the SRT. No keys available for the LE. Both are beautiful beasts. Finally spilled the beans and discussed the differences of the two cars. He told me that their allotment was 10 cars and they were going to have more 2013s in the Western US with the exception of LA. Turned into "Dr. Evil" and told him about this thread (see previous comments from Phoenix guys talking about this dealership). Thanked him for his time and advised him viper owners were only buying for sticker. He knew about some place in Nebraska that sold more vipers but it was in the Midwest and far away (think Dorothy and Kansas). Advised that those guys were like a take out delivery service:D and personally dropped off cars all over the US.

The other fact is I can order one at another Dodge dealership in Phoenix for sticker or maybe less (have not worked on it since I want to wait for the 2014 or 2015).

Last edited:

ViperSmith

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Went shopping in Phoenix today for some stuff for the house remodel....dropped in at Airpark Dodge in Scottsdale. They have a LE and a SRT track edition. 25k markups on both of them. Talked to a to one of the salesmen....actually a nice guy. Had my ACR shirt on.....he did not have a clue. I got to sit in the SRT. No keys available for the LE. Both are beautiful beasts. Finally spilled the beans and discussed the differences of the two cars. He told me that their allotment was 10 cars and they were going to have more 2013s in the Western US with the exception of LA. Turned into "Dr. Evil" and told him about this thread (see previous comments from Phoenix guys talking about this dealership). Thanked him for his time and advised him viper owners were only buying for sticker. He knew about some place in Nebraska that sold more vipers but it was in the Midwest and far away (think Dorothy and Kansas). Advised that those guys were like a take out delivery service:D and personally dropped off cars all over the US.

The other fact is I can order one at another Dodge dealership in Phoenix for sticker or maybe less (have not worked on it since I want to wait for the 2014 or 2015).

Should have told him the red dealer demo GTS were so those guys could come to his dealership, see if they like the car, then order from Nebraska :)

CarlSRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Criswell was selling the first one for a $20k markup and said the rest are at sticker

And someone was goofy enough to pay $20k over

Hello! Just wanted to clarify this misunderstanding or misinformation. The first Viper we sold we sold for MSRP. All of our Vipers are being sold for MSRP except the Launch Edition Viper we have which does have a premium on it.

Sybil TF

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've seen some liberal posts on here and seen some debate from liberal opinions. However, if one of them endorses this as a good idea or fair, they are lying. Plain and simple. How is this not communist?

It's not communist. The govt. telling them what they can charge would be. But it's stupid and bad business but if some fool will pay that much over then so be it.

Blackhawk

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The market will determine this quite soon, but most of the dealers will overprice the car so they can use it as bait just like in 92 and in 96. the real question is is DO they really want to sell it and the pricing they are asking is pricing that they figure is at that point where it makes sense to them to sell the car.

I know of one dealership that I tried to buy a 92 from back in the early 00's when I was collecting vipers, and they wanted 165K for a 92 when all the other out there, even comparable 10-25 mile cars were struggling to bring $53K, a few years later they dumped their car for way less. They used it as bait, good old Shaumburg Dodge..

Ah yes....I remember that car! It was a great friend....always there when you needed it....in the front left corner of that tiny little building. I stopped by often to look at it back in the day.

ViperSmith

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hello! Just wanted to clarify this misunderstanding or misinformation. The first Viper we sold we sold for MSRP. All of our Vipers are being sold for MSRP except the Launch Edition Viper we have which does have a premium on it.
Carl, then please explain this dealer sticker I took on the red SRT you guys had in. Please, do explain to me how the addition of $20,000 equates to selling at a MSRP. I am quite curious!

You must be registered for see images attach

kdaviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
you do realize that the launch edition will be one of the most common color/accessory combo sold, right? The only real special thing is that they're made first and have a few blue touches on the interior.

Policy Limits

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yeah I think they should've limited launch production to 30 cars to keep it exclusive. We already have several here in New England. I wanted one initially but then was sold on my custom order. I should have it just in time for Halloween. Glad it's not a convertible...

Mamba52

Enthusiast
Reaction score
you do realize that the launch edition will be one of the most common color/accessory combo sold, right? The only real special thing is that they're made first and have a few blue touches on the interior.

That's over 20% of all 2013. And three are on flebay now, none have sold!!! And yes I'm not buying one.

ViperSmith

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Busted!!!!!

I try not to open my mouth unless I am certain. And in case we have the "That could have been from any dealer" discussion, here are two other pictures. You can clearly see the "dealer addendum" in the window of the SRT.

I do enjoy the fact after charging you an extra $20,000 they have the guts to charge you $200 for documentation fees.

DMan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Busted!!!!!

It's Criswell - what do you expect? In 14 yrs of Viper ownership never had a worse experience then dealing with those guys, IMO, they know nothing about Vipers but trying to look like they do, I still whince thinking I let them touch my car, what a mistake.

People say, "dealer are dealers". Not me, there are "dealers and then there are dealers". We have several good ones on here & we know who they are, and in this community we all know who the jokers and wannebe's are.

I almost pulled the trigger 3 times on the genV, but after a good talk at the annual meeting with good ole Viper lovers like me, I'm droppin some goodies in the gen4 and will do a 2014 when calmer heads prevail and I have some options to what I order. My problem is I dont think I can wait long enough on the "ACR", an aero track pack car will proabably be my compromise.

CarlSRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Carl, then please explain this dealer sticker I took on the red SRT you guys had in. Please, do explain to me how the addition of $20,000 equates to selling at a MSRP. I am quite curious!

We put the addendum sticker on there when the car first came in. Two things happened after that. First I had a client in North Carolina interested in the Viper SRT we had in stock but also had a deposit on an incoming one at a dealership in the mid west I believe. He told me they were doing MSRP. After doing some research and checking this forum, I explained to my General Manager that there are dealerships that aren't marking these up. To make a long story short, we sold it at MSRP. The gentleman drove up from North Carolina and picked it up and couldn't be happier. Hope this clarifies things.

doctorbob

Enthusiast
Reaction score
CarlSRT.......LEs are still being sold for sticker.....see Viper808 posts.(drove one off the floor for sticker in Florida)......the premium is bogus. Viper owners know the dealers that have the reputations for quality service and dealings are a select few.

ViperSmith

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The antiquated dealership model still baffles me.

Why dealers are entitled to enjoy an extra $20,000 for being a middle man, is simply baffling. Most dealers provide absolutely nothing of value to the equation.

Which is why I cheer Tesla and their desire to cut out dealerships from the market. Dealers of old have no place in the 21st century.

The "Oh we had a $20,000 markup at one point" is fine and dandy, when it was 1992 and no one knew better.

Thanks to social media and the Internet, we all know better at this point. But, still begs the question, why couldn't I order directly from SRT and cut out all the fat in between? (And this isn't to say Bernie hasn't been great at helping, this is more of a look at anyone but Roanoke, Tomball, and Woodhouse).

kdaviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Not to mention the LE's price tag already has its special features built into it, including the dual white stripe/blue paint job. That being said, I support the dealers' right to put whatever they want on the sticker. If you don't like what one dealer asks, simply tell him you're going to take the best deal on the car you're going to get and let him know there are multiple places you can buy for MSRP. Some of you need to brush up on your game theory:{P

Brian GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Wow, I can't believe they actually put that tacky badge on the car....incredibly tacky. Stick with the dealerships that know what they're doing and selling for MSRP right off the bat (Roanoke, Woodhouse, and Tomball).

ViperSmith

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Not to mention the LE's price tag already has its special features built into it, including the dual white stripe/blue paint job. That being said, I support the dealers' right to put whatever they want on the sticker. If you don't like what one dealer asks, simply tell him you're going to take the best deal on the car you're going to get and let him know there are multiple places you can buy for MSRP. Some of you need to brush up on your game theory:{P

The whole markup thing is BS as well. "Limited Supply" - well if the supply is that limited, then why are there dealers selling at MSRP then? (rhetorical)

Why do dealers, who provide no value to the transaction (The SRT dealers that know nothing about he vehicle), get to enjoy a $20,000 in extra profit for simply converting oxygen into CO2?

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shibbydude