And so it begins *** DEALER MARKUP***

ViperSmith

Enthusiast
Reaction score
This is strictly a supply and demand issue. The car is new, there are none available and some people are willing to accept the mark up and pay it.
My understanding is a car dealer purchases the car from Chrysler....Chrysler does not "loan" them the car to sit on the lot for free. They may get flooring funding with interest an rate for 60, 90 or 120 days, maybe from the manufacturer or an outside credit company like GE Capital (I'm just guessing here, not a car dealer). What I'm getting at it's their damn car and they can sell it for whatever they feel it will bring. I didn't see anybody who purchased a Gen 3 or Gen 4 under MSRP complain?

So for those not willing to shop around for MSRP or wait until supply meets demand, many dealers will continue to attempt to get a mark up.

Apparently nobody on this forum has ever had issues paying extra for the following:

-Over $3000.00 for a single Super Bowl ticket
-Over $1500.00 to sit ringside at a UFC fight
-First Class airline tickets
-Paying more than the asking price for a house since the market demand is high (at least in my area)

For those that did buy at MSRP, if the car still stays a hot commodity and is in high demand and continues to get a mark up premium, you may have a car worth more than MSRP even 6 months from now...how's that for an equity bump?

George

My complaint is: like many, those of us that put cash down months ago, ordered the first day, are sitting here, with no news to when our custom orders will be built - while these cars sit on dealer lots, unsold.

These dealers are only getting 1-2 allocations, because in the past they have done the same thing and had a hard time moving them. Perhaps if they followed Woodhouse and Tomball, they'd have more allocations this time around. If anything, the high markups prevent them from further allocations. What a smart business decision that is.

"But we had to pay SRT $25,000 to sell them!" - yes, I have to pay thousands of dollars for useless compliance every single year, it is a cost of doing business. $25,000 over 5 years of selling them is peanuts.

It really makes SRT look like a substandard brand by allowing dealers to do this. Other high end brands strictly don't allow for this kind of thing.

TrackAire

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My complaint is: like many, those of us that put cash down months ago, ordered the first day, are sitting here, with no news to when our custom orders will be built - while these cars sit on dealer lots, unsold.

These dealers are only getting 1-2 allocations, because in the past they have done the same thing and had a hard time moving them. Perhaps if they followed Woodhouse and Tomball, they'd have more allocations this time around. If anything, the high markups prevent them from further allocations. What a smart business decision that is.

"But we had to pay SRT $25,000 to sell them!" - yes, I have to pay thousands of dollars for useless compliance every single year, it is a cost of doing business. $25,000 over 5 years of selling them is peanuts.

It really makes SRT look like a substandard brand by allowing dealers to do this. Other high end brands strictly don't allow for this kind of thing.

It's not fair and I do feel bad for you and the others that have put money down, yet are not getting the first production run. But, on the positive side, your vehicle may actually be a better vehicle (built better and with less issues) than the cars sitting on the dealers floors with mark ups. Just look at the improvements SRT has done on the TA edition....all that stuff eventually finds it's way back to the production line.

I have made a promise to myself to never buy the first year production run of any vehicle, regardless of the cost or coolness. Every "new" vehicle that has ever been produce is always eclipsed by the next production year car (more hp, better performance, more options, etc). I can't think of one modern car that is better when compared to the second year run. Is having the first Gen 5 on the block ultra cool?...yes and it is your right to have that.

Hope you get your car soon.

George

ViperSmith

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It's not fair and I do feel bad for you and the others that have put money down, yet are not getting the first production run. But, on the positive side, your vehicle may actually be a better vehicle (built better and with less issues) than the cars sitting on the dealers floors with mark ups. Just look at the improvements SRT has done on the TA edition....all that stuff eventually finds it's way back to the production line.

I have made a promise to myself to never buy the first year production run of any vehicle, regardless of the cost or coolness. Every "new" vehicle that has ever been produce is always eclipsed by the next production year car (more hp, better performance, more options, etc). I can't think of one modern car that is better when compared to the second year run. Is having the first Gen 5 on the block ultra cool?...yes and it is your right to have that.

George
And I agree. I hope the first 300 let them work issues out.

I view it as an issue of longevity with SRT. If SRT desires to be a "bigger" brand (in the sense of demanding respect), they need to work on dealers. If we want a Gen VI, VII Viper, we need people to be buying the vehicles and driving them. I mean, I get it. Dealers will only get 2 for the calendar year - if some dum dum pays $20,000 over sticker, they have made out. If not, they get to keep it in the showroom for people to see.

I am just getting restless, which I think many are.

chorps

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The dealers are protected by law...so there's a limit to the amount of influence that SRT has over them. Even Tesla had a hard time setting up corporately owned stores because of these laws. I don't think that SRT can prevent gouging other than giving the dealers a 'stern talking to'. :p

Money grubbing dealers really give the brands a bad name. I remember when the Nissan GT-R first came out (80k) and the dealer was 'going to start the bidding' at 140k for the first few cars. I never bothered with Nissan again...and I got my Viper instead. :D

Coloviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ah......absolutely SRT has an influence. Don't sell the money grabbing dealer the franchise or the damn car. End of story! Your story about Nissan is going to be the exact same effect on Viper. Many will take their money elsewhere now if they haven't already. There is absolutely no good that can come from this. There needs to be an active list posted on this site of each and every money grabbing dealer that marks up the car like this including by how much and anyone that comes to this site looking for real info on the car, should be able to see exactly what dealers are doing this and which dealers are selling for MRSP. Call them out on their dishonest ways. If they then choose to still buy ANYTHING from that dealer, well there is no hope for them. It is just unprofessional, period. I wonder how these dealerships report the taxes on that windfall gain. Be great to send an IRS agent to each and every one of them. Scumbag Dealers!

chris955

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am not sure who you spoke with but we have sold everyone of our Vipers at "MSRP" and your statements are completely and 100% false........ Anyone who has purchased knows what we are selling our new cars for MSRP.......

I will pm you the message

Newport Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Nothing new here.... move along... LOL :smirk:

A dealer is a deal is a dealer...... Why buy new when nearly new will do ;)

053008_08091.jpg

weeten

Enthusiast
Reaction score
This is one of the reasons SRT, Dodge, Chrysler, etc... will never be seen as a premium vehicle manufacturer, no matter how good of a product they put out. This mentality of, mark it up 50k to make it more exclusive, doesn't create exclusivity. It gives potential customers a true insight to the "passion" these dealers have towards the new Viper, and vehicles in general. I am not saying dealers need to be passionate enthusiasts, but it wouldn't hurt to show some respect to SRT for all the hard work they put in by moving their cars at sticker and letting people experience and enjoy the new Viper.

This whole talk about them wanting to cater to a higher crowd is going to fail due to this. Good luck getting a Porsche, BMW, Mercedes, Jaguar, etc... owner to pay 50k more for "exclusivity". Why? So they can have a vehicle that will depreciate 40% in the first year ON TOP of the mark up?

The new Viper should generate exclusivity with its presence, and not dealer mark ups.

swexlin

Viper Owner
Reaction score

George

I agree with you. Except maybe Viper 03 better than 04, if simply for the cheapie flywheel issues they had in 04. Now, back to our regulary scheduled thread!

mnc2886

Enthusiast
Reaction score
SRT has been really quiet on this and I assume they forever will be. So much for a different buying experience. I've gone to two Dodge dealerships that are selling the Viper besides Tomball. Once was when I was looking at a new truck and just visited with the sales guy on the Viper subject, and another is when I went with a friend who might actually buy one. First encounter the dealer had a $20k markup and literally knew nothing about the car. Obviously learned nothing in the training. Second one didn't have a markup, but again had most of his facts wrong about the car. SRT acted as if they engaged dealerships and were driving a change, but ultimately they drew the line at a fee and cared little beyond that. Some may doubt that statement, but you'll see it true once you realize SRT will never even acknowledge the situation.

The real kicker is I will still buy a Gen V because I'm a Viper diehard. What's sad is all the converted buyers that won't happen and the longevity and quality of the Viper program will suffer. Let's hurry and get the ACR out before we have 250 Vipers sitting on dealer lots and Sergio pulls the plug.

Mamba52

Enthusiast
Reaction score
SRT has been really quiet on this and I assume they forever will be. So much for a different buying experience. I've gone to two Dodge dealerships that are selling the Viper besides Tomball. Once was when I was looking at a new truck and just visited with the sales guy on the Viper subject, and another is when I went with a friend who might actually buy one. First encounter the dealer had a $20k markup and literally knew nothing about the car. Obviously learned nothing in the training. Second one didn't have a markup, but again had most of his facts wrong about the car. SRT acted as if they engaged dealerships and were driving a change, but ultimately they drew the line at a fee and cared little beyond that. Some may doubt that statement, but you'll see it true once you realize SRT will never even acknowledge the situation.

The real kicker is I will still buy a Gen V because I'm a Viper diehard. What's sad is all the converted buyers that won't happen and the longevity and quality of the Viper program will suffer. Let's hurry and get the ACR out before we have 250 Vipers sitting on dealer lots and Sergio pulls the plug.

Sad but I think that's what's going to happen here. This is not a brand new car and they want $162,000!!!!! I wonder how many 13 Vipers are sitting around? And most guys still don't have there cars.

PilotaX

Viper Owner
Reaction score
If anyone is interested in a car at MSRP, I had four dealers in SoCal willing to sell LEs at MSRP. I would bet they'd sell the SRTs and GTSs at list as well.

VENOM V

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Enough belly-aching. Just ignore the greedy dealers and reward those that earn your business. I wouldn't buy from a dealer that marks up a Viper, either.

Plenty of dealers will sell at MSRP, if you take the time to do the research. Normandin in NorCal, Woodhouse, Tomball, plus the SoCal dealers that PilotaX mentioned, Etc. I'm sure there are more.

copperhead007

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I go to Normadin to get factory replacement parts and they cut me a break.

Wanna go back to the future...walk into a Dodge dealer

doctorbob

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I like the comment about "belly aching".;). Bored tonight so I surfed for 2013 Vipers for sale and saw some great deals on Fleabay......like the one from ***** (take a look at his picture and would you buy a car from this guy?) and he is the chapter president for the local BMW club (wow!!) at a Peoria, Ill. dealership. Asking a 130K plus for one of the Adrenaline Red SRTs and they show the window sticker but conveniently cut out the price portion.:nono:. Another reason to wait for the new car to get sorted out and maybe some of the SRT dealers to get shut out( not running for the Nobel Prize for poetry / literature).

BTW....the KY jelly at no charge has to be a classic.

MoparMan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
This is what happens when you charge dealers upwards of another $35k to get a car they only sell one or two of a year. Towbin Dodge here in Vegas (one of the largest Dodge dealers in the country) is only getting two Vipers and is asking $17.5k over sticker on each to recoup their costs. Seems to me all this SRT fee is going to do is drive all the lower volume Viper dealers out of the business of selling Vipers and eventually make it so there are less and less dealers who can or will service Vipers.

I'm not excusing the greed or stupidity of dealers marking these cars way up, but given many of their shortsightedness, this action doesn't surprise me in the least and when they sit on these cars for extended periods of time it'll hurt both them and SRT and spur them to not order future Vipers.

My order is in with Tomball - no markup over sticker, no B.S. and easy to deal with - but I'm concerned about what level of service I'll be able to get in Vegas for the car in a few years.

OP
OP
G

GTS-R 001

Enthusiast
Reaction score
This is what happens when you charge dealers upwards of another $35k to get a car they only sell one or two of a year. Towbin Dodge here in Vegas (one of the largest Dodge dealers in the country) is only getting two Vipers and is asking $17.5k over sticker on each to recoup their costs. Seems to me all this SRT fee is going to do is drive all the lower volume Viper dealers out of the business of selling Vipers and eventually make it so there are less and less dealers who can or will service Vipers.

I'm not excusing the greed or stupidity of dealers marking these cars way up, but given many of their shortsightedness, this action doesn't surprise me in the least and when they sit on these cars for extended periods of time it'll hurt both them and SRT and spur them to not order future Vipers.

My order is in with Tomball - no markup over sticker, no B.S. and easy to deal with - but I'm concerned about what level of service I'll be able to get in Vegas for the car in a few years.

I think if you look at it logically regarding servicing the car you will find

1) the Gen 5, even though touted as "new" is a basic Gen 3/4 chassis with a plastic manifold, a different engine controller, a dart dash and a carbon body.
* Plastic manifold - made in either Italy or India may present problems but probably not
*Chassis parts ie. everything but body is easily attainable and as easy to work on as a 1972 F150 pick up truck
* Controller, usually simple plug and play
*Dart dash, again easy plug and play
* Carbon body - any mishaps, call insurance co, get write off cert, order new car

My experience with Vipers is that once you get over the perception that you are dealing with an exotic car, they are the same basic car that has been made since the G2 was developed, with a little evolution over the past almost 20 years. Vipers simply do not have a history of breaking, they are strongly built and if maintained last a long time, well in excess of your average Viper owners total lifetime mileage.

I have put 30K miles on a few of my vipers and outside a a clutch and tires, no issues at all.

Just find a mechanic that is good at fixing cars and not lifting your wallet and you will do fine, warranty service or not.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang