Angel Eyes Headlights?

Camfab

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I ate hot wings for lunch today, and shortly, I too will have "the glowing ring":omg:

Now that's funny :D actually maybe it's not that funny, I've been there.

OH SORRY! back to your regularly scheduled argument.

Jerome Sparich

Enthusiast
Reaction score
That's the most ridiculous load of BS that I've seen posted in a VERY LONG TIME!:lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

I guess because you read about the purpose of the BMW lights on the internet it must be true!

DrDJ

You are so right, yes you are.

So then I guess I will just take this bit of tech info, posted by none other than BMW themselves, and wipe my ass with the paper. As you are the expert on all, what do I need their tech papers for?:rolleyes:

So tell me Dr, are you a proctologist. You seem to have your head up you ass.

usaf0016

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I see, so they reduce the glare to oncoming traffic, but, what about that crappy noise coming from the exhaust pipes, if BMW were to put a halo light aroudn that, would it reduce the rice?

Jerome Sparich

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I see, so they reduce the glare to oncoming traffic, but, what about that crappy noise coming from the exhaust pipes, if BMW were to put a halo light aroudn that, would it reduce the rice?

Nope, that is where a potato comes in handy

ViperTony

Enthusiast
Reaction score

So then I guess I will just take this bit of tech info, posted by none other than BMW themselves, and wipe my ass with the paper.

Yes! That's what I did...if you didn't notice, the tech information sheet is printed on Charmin 'cause BMW says its a safety feature...less paper cuts :moon: . Forget about the headlights and drive the freakin' car. Out of all the unique features on a Viper nobody gives a crap about the headlights. "Oohh..did you see the headlights on that Viper!!!!" :lmao: Give me a break. It's a race car not a rice pattie. Drive it and enjoy it.

DrDJ

Enthusiast
Reaction score

So then I guess I will just take this bit of tech info, posted by none other than BMW themselves, and wipe my ass with the paper. As you are the expert on all, what do I need their tech papers for?:rolleyes:

So tell me Dr, are you a proctologist. You seem to have your head up you ass.

Dude, are you the ultimate BMW nutswinger or what? Don't you recognize :bs2: when you see and smell it? Do you have to taste it too???

Don't you have any observational skills of your own or do you go to the BMW website for all of your info? I could shine a flashlight out of my front window and have more of an effect on other motorists than angel eyes would.

DrDJ

AFL in NJ

Enthusiast
Reaction score
LMAO, Okay, the reason BMW has those Angel whatever headlights is simple....cause if you smack up your Bimmer, no aftermarket headlights are available because they are patented for 10 years.....giving BMW a monopoly on the re-supply of headlights...read mucho $$$$.

I am going for beer and hot wings this evening to attempt to create my own burning ring.

RT10Viperfan (Karen), keep up the comments, I got a good laugh about it reducing curb rash....now if only they made a headlight like those eye-glasses in comic books that allow you to see through walls and clothes!!!

Regards,
Aaron

V10SpeedLuvr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I want some fancy angel eyes headlights for my car. I can hear the convos now.

******* girl: Where's your exterior door handles?
Me: I dont have any, you have to reach in to open the door.

(she figures it out and finally gets in)

******* girl: Where do I roll my window up at? I dont want my hair to get messed up.
Me: I dont have windows
******* girl: where's your power lock button?
Me: I dont have power locks
******* girl: Ummmm, ok, where's the switch to let my seat up? Its too far back
Me: No switch, you have to do it manually
******* girl: You know for all the money you paid, you're car doesnt have any options at all and its only a Dodge.
Me: At the next redlight, I want you to get out and look at my glare reducing angel eye headlights. They didnt come from Dodge either, but I got a sweet deal off Ebay for them.
******* girl: Wait! You have angel eye headlights!!?!?! OMG, you can so spend the night at my house tonight if you want!!:lmao: :D :rolaugh:

2000_Black_RT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The Angel Eyes are a non-directional cold light, you can see the same effect of household flourescent bulbs, it doesn't matter what angle you look at them for brightness. Candle power of flourescent lighting is quite low, they really don't provide good lighting for the purpose of a driver aid, in other words they are rings of light which can be seen at any angle, ideal to grasp any needed attention, hence the implied "safety factor".

Angel Eyes cannot reduce glare in conjunction with HID / projection lighting other than not using the directional beams for daytime running lights. Europe started using HIDs, yet the ECE standard is that the vehicle must have dynamic headlamp leveling. HID headlamps typically include an automatic leveling system, so during accelleration or loading up the vehicle with passengers in a back seat the light doesn't angle upward as the vehicle changes attitude and blind the opposing traffic. Adding HIDs to stock headlamp housings (i.e. my Viper) which doesn't have dynamic / automatic leveling is not the best thing to do. Typical NA vehicles are rigid mounted lights, inclination of a halogen light is not as blinding as a HID towards opposing traffic. You will find automatic leveling in premium vehicles. which have HID lighting, or something other than a halogen bulb. Last I read in literature it was a $10,000 fine in the US to install HID in a non-HID design headlamp, here's an example link regarding this.

http://faqlight.carpassion.info/hl-current-regulations.htm

You can read about the European lighting standards for more lighting info, and specifically in this United Nations Economic Commision for Europe standard (the "SAE" type of standards for Europe), see section "Reg. 48 - Rev.4 - Installation of lighting and light-signalling devices on motor vehicles" , regarding the angle / % inclination, etc.. see section 6.2.6.1.2, in other words.. with a bright f'g beam of light they want to be sure it's always pointed downward even if the vehicle changes angle:

http://www.unece.org/trans/main/wp29/wp29regs41-60.html

For general knowledge see Wikipedia:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Headlamp

Last edited:

slaughterj

Enthusiast
Reaction score
That link on aftermarket HID wasn't the best-written, which makes me question it a bit, but further, it says "up to $10K" fine, which is a lot different than a $10K fine.

DSG2003SVT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Me: At the next redlight, I want you to get out and look at my glare reducing angel eye headlights. They didnt come from Dodge either, but I got a sweet deal off Ebay for them.
******* girl: Wait! You have angel eye headlights!!?!?! OMG, you can so spend the night at my house tonight if you want!!:lmao: :D :rolaugh:

LMAO!! That was great. Whether you agree with the poster or not, that was funny.

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I want some fancy angel eyes headlights for my car. I can hear the convos now.

******* girl: Where's your exterior door handles?
Me: I dont have any, you have to reach in to open the door.

(she figures it out and finally gets in)

******* girl: Where do I roll my window up at? I dont want my hair to get messed up.
Me: I dont have windows
******* girl: where's your power lock button?
Me: I dont have power locks
******* girl: Ummmm, ok, where's the switch to let my seat up? Its too far back
Me: No switch, you have to do it manually
******* girl: You know for all the money you paid, you're car doesnt have any options at all and its only a Dodge.

Sooooooo, getting chicks is that easy huh??? Might have to shop around for a technologically challenged prospect this evening.

Bolt

Viper Owner
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach

b

Last edited:

RTTTTed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
One reply in this thread had a 2000 Viper as a sig. It said that he didn't have "dynamic headlight adjustment". All my Vipers came with "dynamic headlight adjustment", the level in the headlight assy is for that. I also added HID and since I've adjusted the level properly, I've had no one give me the highbeams because of the HIDs.

There's a show they (BMW) made for Speed Channel on "designing the Ultimate Sports Car" and I don't recall them saying the light loops cutting down glare (something they learned afterwards?), they did say they added them for unique looks. I like them, but not enough to add to my Viper.

They make some awesome Beemers, but I bought my favourtie car - a Viper.

Ted

2000_Black_RT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
They say things differently in Canada, eh. :D

I'm the Canadian with the 2000 eh' :D

The reason you have a bubble level in the headlamp housing is because there isn't a headlamp aiming machine / device (i.e. in a garage, factory, etc..) that can be placed on the lens, why they had to design a built in bubble level in order to manually adjust the angle, as an indicator to set the angle. Once it's set, your headlamp angle is fixed, in other words what DrDJ said. :2tu:

On regular halogen headlamps, you'll find 3 protruding points on the face of the lens, that's what is used to locate the headlight aiming device. DCX obviously didn't want to design a new headlamp aiming machine for the service garage at the dealers to fit the Viper lens contour. This also eliminates the need for the 3 points. For such a low volume car, it must have been cheaper to add a built in bubble level then go through that hassle.

Dynamic HID headlamps have a built in electrically motorized leveler inside the housing, they automatically adjust the level and dynamically when the car changes angle while in motion.

It's easy to bs about this because at one point in my career I designed lighting systems at a supplier for many auto manufacturers, Chrysler (before DCX), GM, Ford, Hyundai, Honda, etc., also worked with Bosch, NAL, Hella, etc., this was years ago. Chrysler headlamps & tail lights I personally worked on were the Intrepid, Dakota, Ram, Neon, etc.. and the Prowler headlamp mold was cut to my CAD surface.

I'm not here to debate with those who don't know what they are talking about, it was just a reply for someone who asked a question regarding a subject I am familiar with. By the way.. where is the Post originator Limit? It's sometimes odd on forums when people ask questions, others reply with good advice or solutions, and the person who asked doesn't acknowledge the reply. Not that my answers are worth anything, but I'm a slow at typing.. yet I get heck of alot more info and lots of laughs from this site in return of my random babbling and crazy posts..

Bolt - Your Viper looks like one mean snake sitting in the garage ready to lunge like those nasty underwater eels in it's cave, definitely doesn't look like an angel. :2tu:

Last edited:

Freddog11

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I thought these were cheesy, Ebay, ricer add-ons until Chad sold me on them. Do they sell 'em at *******? I'll take an order of hot wings with a side of Angel Eyes. That way you get your glowing halo at one end or the other. Now that's some good marketing.

ZexZo6

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I like them. I will probably do them if I have a little spare time that I can afford a just to do it project. There are a lot of factors to have a 100% positive outcome. I would say a black GTS with red halos would look nice. I would have them on a switch and would not use them all the time, but I would look good. I'll start a thread down the road when I do it...

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rlamorte