Another bad run on passtime

musclenutz

Enthusiast
Reaction score
What is happening to the Vipers on passtime? I just watched a silver vert run a 23 second quarter! Looked like something broke. I was hoping to see a good run.They didn't explain what happened but it looked like serious trouble.I so wanted to see a good run after the bad runs the other night on the show. A member here said he was there the other night and the track wasn't prepped. Dammit!:drive:

Tiago

Viper Owner
Reaction score
the track sucked and it was extremely dangerous for those 1000+ hp cars to run that day

OP
OP
M

musclenutz

Enthusiast
Reaction score
the track sucked and it was extremely dangerous for those 1000+ hp cars to run that day

Yeah,i was frustrated at the time knowing the Vipers would run better.I didn't know about the track conditions at the time. Just saw a pretty good run by a red coupe.I just walked in and caught the end of the run.Man,makes me want to go to the track! I haven't raced in thirty years but watching the show gets my old blood boiling.lol :drive:

1fast400

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yeah, I can't remember what he snapped, but I talked to him at the passtime I was at. He said he snapped something in 2nd I believe.

STUGOTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think that whole show is B.S. the times these cars are running are soooo far off i changed the channel lol

SquadX

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think the silver viper ur referring to was a pearl white and it's a guy who post on here. Cars making something like 1200 on low boost and 1500 on high. It's a ugr twin turbo. He's run some fast times so it's probably the track. Doubt anything broke.

FLATOUT

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I think the silver viper ur referring to was a pearl white and it's a guy who post on here. Cars making something like 1200 on low boost and 1500 on high. It's a ugr twin turbo. He's run some fast times so it's probably the track. Doubt anything broke.

LMAO pearl white car your thinking of is the guy that just posted underneath you ;)

SquadX

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My mistake. Just saw the show with "1Fast400" the other day and times seemed similar.

RPHJR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
why build these cars if they cant put down the power, unless a magician preps the track.? Furman did 10.90's on a stock 2008 Vert. with a Temp tag still on the window, and 150 miles on the odometer. But yet these built TT 1000++ HP cars were not able to get anything close to that number.

1fast400

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Haha, what type of track do you think he was on an unprepped on? If you want to know what it was like, go to the track, put 40lbs of air in your rear tires and try to go down the track. You won't. As far as these cars not putting down the power, one of my cars has been 7.83 at 184, the other 8.50. That's with slicks on. I prefer to do street tire racing as it's more difficult. If you think a stock viper can even come close to running with one of these turbo cars, then there is no convincing you. You've obviously never done drag racing if you're making these statements.

RPHJR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you think a stock viper can even come close to running with one of these turbo cars, then there is no convincing you. You've obviously never done drag racing if you're making these statements.

Honestly... Yes... I think if you lined up at a light (not condoning this, just saying "If")(in street trim,on the 20 wheel with Invos) next to a stock, 2008 Viper, and the 08' had an experienced driver. I think it just might be a closer race than you think. As a self-promclaimed "experienced racer". There should be no reason for me to explain why this is possible. Once traction is lost on your car in a street race, even for a split second. You might as well stop, and put the car in reverse. And in a pure street race (not perfect blacktop conditions,ZERO PREP and on street tires,etc). Your car is going to lose traction (obviously) much sooner than the stocker, and have a more violent traction loss, which will be impossible to recover. In a zero prep, street race setting, Id be surprised if you can even get into the pedal 40% pedal before you lose traction, in 1-3rd. right or wrong?

Listen, you have an insanely powerful car.... Im not disputing that. all Im saying is what % of that, is useable. Unless your in ideal settings, on slicks.. thats all.

Yes, I have been down the track once or twice.. I had a Gen2 Roe car, that probably had Half (maybe less than half) the power of ANY of the cars on the pass time show. But yet, would have held its own all day. Because of the smooth torque application the Roe has. Even some Paxton cars I see are just way too much for the street. Sorry, just my opinion.

I will agree, on slicks and in perfect track conditions. Assuming the car is dialed properly,etc,etc.. There is nothing more (or even close) potent than a TT car..

Last edited:

jmillsUT28

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just because you have a high HP car does not mean you will go WOT in a race. You learn to "use" that power. No need to use all of it when racing a stocker.

1fast400

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Honestly... Yes... I think if you lined up at a light (not condoning this, just saying "If")(in street trim,on the 20 wheel with Invos) next to a stock, 2008 Viper, and the 08' had an experienced driver. I think it just might be a closer race than you think. As a self-promclaimed "experienced racer". There should be no reason for me to explain why this is possible

K, you find that 08 viper and bring whoever you want for a driver. I'll run him 100 times and if I lose more than 3 I'd be shocked. I'll just throw up 3 just in case a deer runs in front of me. I've done these races, I've done roll races and every other type of race you can imagine. There is a huge difference in attempting to maximize your performance and toning it back. Anytime you push a car to the edge, things can go wrong. I setup to run 8.90's that day. I was on 17lbs of boost. I turned it down to 12 when I saw everyone else having issues. Still didn't matter, track was crap. A stock viper would have had the same issues. The difference is I can put my car in third and hook almost anywhere.

Once traction is lost on your car in a street race, even for a split second. You might as well stop, and put the car in reverse. And in a pure street race (not perfect blacktop conditions,ZERO PREP and on street tires,etc). Your car is going to lose traction (obviously) much sooner than the stocker, and have a more violent traction loss, which will be impossible to recover. In a zero prep, street race setting, Id be surprised if you can even get into the pedal 40% pedal before you lose traction, in 1-3rd. right or wrong?

With an idiot driver sure. Sorry, I can race my car in the situation you gave all day long and NOT lose traction assuming my tires are around 22lbs, which is what I drive around at. Even if they weren't, I could adjust. I have the power to get into a higher gear where the ratio favors me. You put a stock viper in a higher gear and it has no power to push through. That's why I'll win this race every time.

Listen, you have an insanely powerful car.... Im not disputing that. all Im saying is what % of that, is useable. Unless your in ideal settings, on slicks.. thats all.

I ran 9.80's on pinks at 12lbs of boost walking it the first 60' to intentionally slow down the car to try to make the show. On 17lbs, with invo's, I can run 8's. There isn't a non turbo viper running 8's with slicks, I'm doing it with street tires. On a prepped track I'll run any paxton viper slicks to street tire and win the majority of the time. I've never had a set of slicks on either car and I've done countless interstate pulls. I have some turbo busa guys you can talk to about how well my car hooks on street tires :)