Another Exhaust Question

Mike_W

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I keep reading about X pipes... but why not just have straight pipes?

I am having a muffler shop do that for me right now. They are just cutting out the muffler and doing a straight through with tubing.

What benefit does the X pipe have over the way I am doing it?

Mike

GTS Bruce

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sound quality!The crossover blends the un even sound of the 2,5 cyl banks together.Sounds smoother,more harmonius and eliminates drone.

OP
OP
M

Mike_W

Enthusiast
Reaction score
OK... Well if I am unhappy, I'll buy the X pipe and have them put it on instead.

The X pipe is 3" correct?

Mike

OP
OP
M

Mike_W

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I just got it back. I am completely happy with it. Sounds really nice. Not too loud at all on the inside. Nice gurgles at deceleration. I know this part sounds stupid, but it sure feels like it picks up quicker. Not only picks up, but faster throttle response. Probably all in my head but I am happy as can be. $120 and they threw on Magnaflow tips.

Mike

Steve 00RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sound quality!The crossover blends the un even sound of the 2,5 cyl banks together.Sounds smoother,more harmonius and eliminates drone.

I did the muffler delete 3 years ago--no crossover pipe. No drone--sounded great. I wouldn't bother with the x-pipe. Jump right into headers next for just the right level of sound. Vipers were meant to rumble. They will never sound like a V-8. I like the fact that it is a very distinctive sound---not like a V-8.

Steve

BigCarrot

Enthusiast
Reaction score
X pipes on a Viper are worthless in my opinion. You have to put it too far back to make any difference in performance, and if anything, I think it makes it not sound as good! I like the uneven idle! It makes it sound lumpier! I did one, and had it removed a couple of days later.