******* anti-freeze. what the....

Fatboy 18

Enthusiast
Reaction score
As far as time goes, most (not all) mechanics would not spend the time that an owner would on details. As I stated earlier, it took me over an hour to clean the old gasket off of the block and cover mating surfaces.
Well said, and yes it took me well over an hour to clean the gasket surfaces, those bits of broken gasket were stuck fast!

OP
OP
D

Darth Menace

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I couldnt get ahold of Chuck, but I left a message

I spoke to JonB Partsrack and he said just buy a gasket from the dealer as there are no aftermarket ones that are any better. He also said the waterpumps for the 1998 aren't known to be bad, so it's wasted money if I bought on for a car with 19K.

OP
OP
D

Darth Menace

Enthusiast
Reaction score
hey again, i called Chrysler about the gaskets and left chuck a message. is there any way to tell which oil pan gasket i need? i guess there is one that is re-usable and one that isnt. \chrysler wants $336.55 for the oil pan gasket and its on backorder anyways so they have no idea when it would come in anyways

Dom426h

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It is simple to tell which gasket you have.
The old one is a typical thin gasket.
The new one is Aluminim & like 3/16"or1/4" Thick(tall). (which is why it is the most expensive gasket on our V10...)
Jack up the front and have a look. If you see what looks like a metal spacer between the pan & block then you are good. If you cant figure it out let me know and i'll post a pic.

and dont sweat the price, I have an extra one i could send you for a much better price if needed.

Garron

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You really should get someone to look at the leak. A pressure tester and a scan tool that can make sure the cooling fan is actually coming on is a start.

Garrett

LifeIsGood

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Here is a picture of the reusable oil pan gasket...

You must be registered for see images

This close-up gives you a slightly better idea of the thickness...

You must be registered for see images

Next Phase

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well said, and yes it took me well over an hour to clean the gasket surfaces, those bits of broken gasket were stuck fast!

That was the hardest part of replacing the water pump... that damn gasket was stuck. Used a putty knife and a razor blade. I think I spent a good 45 minutes cleaning mine off.

I would recommend getting a service manual if you are doing the job on your own. Don't remember exactly, but it was a good 7 hour job.

OP
OP
D

Darth Menace

Enthusiast
Reaction score
That was the hardest part of replacing the water pump... that damn gasket was stuck. Used a putty knife and a razor blade. I think I spent a good 45 minutes cleaning mine off.

I would recommend getting a service manual if you are doing the job on your own. Don't remember exactly, but it was a good 7 hour job.

Ya im not doing it on my own...im assisting a mechanic that I know personally. I have parked the viper for the season, but I am going to get this fixed once i make sure what gaskets i need, get themand get them installed. then tucking it away for the winter :(.

Fatboy 18

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Its not hard to do, just take your time clean everything as you go along :) Another pair of hands is always a good thing :)
And if you do get stuck with anything just post your question :)

When re-filling the system you need Mopar Green antifreeze and Distilled water ;)

And having a nice warm garage to perform the work in helps ;)

OP
OP
D

Darth Menace

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I figured I'd ask in this thread instead of starting a new one, but where/how do i jack up this car? I need to jack it up and look at the oil pan gasket before i order the other gaskets.

thanks

Fatboy 18

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Look under the side sill about a 1/4 of the way back from the front wheel, You will find a welded piece of bent steel rod attached to the chassis, You will also find a similar jacking point at the rear of the side sill. They are not on the edge of the car but inward about 10 inches. Do NOT get under the car using just the jack, make sure you use some axle stands incase the jack gives way!

Do you not have an owners handbook? I found mine in the back pocket behind the passenger seat! By that time I had ordered a replacement :)

OP
OP
D

Darth Menace

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I cant even get a jack underneath that thing. I am just going to assume it has the nice metal oil pan gasket and I will cross that bridge when I come to it if it has the non-reusable one

Fatboy 18

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I cant even get a jack underneath that thing. I am just going to assume it has the nice metal oil pan gasket and I will cross that bridge when I come to it if it has the non-reusable one
So have you not bothered to remove your spare wheel and use the Factory jack that comes with the car?
Once you get the car high enough you can then use a trolley jack on the main chassis rails.

OP
OP
D

Darth Menace

Enthusiast
Reaction score
So have you not bothered to remove your spare wheel and use the Factory jack that comes with the car?
Once you get the car high enough you can then use a trolley jack on the main chassis rails.

hey I didnt even think of that. I never think of a factory jack unless there is a blown tire on the side of the road

OP
OP
D

Darth Menace

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I got it up and it looks as though it is the metal oil pan gasket. relatively thick and felt like metal when i scratched it with my fingernail. I took a picture...i had to shrink it a tonne to get this forum to accept it
You must be registered for see images attach

GTS Warp

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Tell ya what happened to me. First, the fascia overflow bottle was leaking from the screw puncture syndrome. Fixed that but she kept sending fluid to the overflow and wasn't sucking it back in. It had a new radiator cap (crappy one), so I got the factory one everybody recommended here. Problem 2 solved. Now with the system under full pressure, the next weakest link was a pinhole in the radiator. Pulled it and had a pro radiator shop pressure test it and repair. Threw in some new hoses and the Roe Radiator Bleeder on the reinstall. She's tight now!

OP
OP
D

Darth Menace

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey guys, mechanic guy and I are replacing this tomorrow. I do not have a repair manual though. Can anyone tell me how much to torque the timing cover to? and the water pump for then we replace that gasket too. :(

bluesrt

Enthusiast
Reaction score
hand torque them with some common sense and you will be fine

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jpolen21