Anyone Familiar with this 2000 Black GTS in Kentucky?

DaDood

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hi all,

I've been following the forums for years now and I am just about ready to break down and get my first Viper! :headbang: I've been waiting until I finish grad school to buy my first Viper, and I've been finding that Black/Black GTS's (even with stripes) are very hard to come by, especially low mileage or unmolested ones.

I've been pricing GTS's and early model SRT-10's for some time trying to see if I can find a decent priced (and in good shape) '99-'00 Black/Black GTS in my price range. I found this one on Autotrader.com and the exterior pictures look great and it is exactly what I've been looking for, but there are no interior pictures and the description is really short for the car.

I was wondering if anyone on the forums was familiar with this GTS:
Cars for Sale: 2000 Dodge Viper GTS in UNION, KY 41091: Coupe Details - 294655807 - AutoTrader.com

Thanks for any of the feedback you guys may have on the car!

-Brian

runin1320

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Looks like a good deal from the pics. Definately need more pics and a history to know for sure. Good Luck!

Stretch

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I do not know this car, but I know someone who is a little closer to it than I am. I'll send them a PM about it.

Shandon

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey DaDood,
Strech above just PM'd me about this thread and a car you are looking at. I live about 20-30min from Union KY. If I can be of some help for you let me know. I have seen that Viper before in florence ky but didnt get to meet the owner.:2tu:

Looks beautiful. Let me know:scool:

OP
OP
D

DaDood

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey Shandon,
Thanks a lot for the offer! I've sent a message to the owner on Autotrader, but have not heard back from him yet. I'm planning on calling him tonight to see if the car is still for sale. If it is still available, I'd definitely take you up on your offer to take a look at it for me. The ~8hr drive to Union, KY seemed daunting to me to take a look at it myself.

Thanks for sending the PM Stretch!:2tu:

Hey Hank,
I live in Elkridge, MD. I'm about 10 miles south of Baltimore, but commute to Nothern VA every day. I rarely see Vipers in MD too, but I know there's a few. I've seen a few at the Cars and Coffee in Great Falls, VA before.

Thanks Guys.

Fatboy 18

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Chances are the tires are old even though they show a lot of tread, If you have never driven one of these beasts be very careful and make sure the car is dead straight before you punch it. Check the date code on the tires, and see if you can squeeze a new set of tires out of the sale. The best all weather tire is the PS2.
Search the other threads on here for tire issues. Viper Parts America has some great deals on tires.

Nice looking car, Make sure you get a Carfax, check the build date sticker on the inside drivers door below the latch, and check with Dodge that any recall work has been done.
Sounds like a good deal if all the info checks out,
Good luck.

International Viper Registry

Bird325

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Black with silver stripes is pretty rare and very nice looking. Check out the interior looking for abuse and get a certified tech to go over it for you. The price is very good if everything checks out.

pgbeek

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I 'd let the person above to go inspect it and drive it. I've had mine for a year now and have learned allot about the car. Anyone with a little experience should be able to point out any problems that you can't see from the advertisement. If you can get the ID # you can take that to a dodge dealer & they can tell you if all the recall items we're fixed or if regular inspections were done?
Good Luck & join your local chapter.

PDCjonny

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I might know someone interested in selling a black '00 GTS if this one does not work out.
PM me if needed.

OP
OP
D

DaDood

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Stripes are not factory and the front emblem is MIA.

I totally missed that. I'm still interested (I think you can order the emblem from Dodge), but I'd really like to know more about the car and get some more pictures. The short description on the add kind of worried me, but you never know!

rudedawg

Enthusiast
Reaction score
DaDood, if you get the vin let me know i'll run a Auto Check for you as I get them free. Also I'll go into Chrysler for you and look into the warranty history and let you know if there's anything you should know.

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
Shandon and Stretch...you might want to have DaDood call me...save you hard working KY Boys some time !! :)

OP
OP
D

DaDood

Enthusiast
Reaction score
May not be an ACR... No BBS Wheels... Hood gap looks like the grand canyon... No side emblems...

Yeah, I've seen that one before. There were a couple of concerns that I had about that one, primarily the lack of badges on the hood, BBS wheels, and what looked like a "fire" mark on the driver side of the engine.....

Although, it does have deleted fog lights. It's hard to tell.

I tried to get in touch with the guy from Kentucky and.... phone number was disconnected! Oh well. Back to the drawing board!

Thanks for all the support guys. If anyone knows that one that I posted in Wyethville, VA, let me know. If I have time, I may look at it myself this weekend.

I'm also looking for any older Black (not Mamba) SRT-10's if anyone knows anyone who's selling!

-Dood

OP
OP
D

DaDood

Enthusiast
Reaction score
May not be an ACR... No BBS Wheels... Hood gap looks like the grand canyon... No side emblems...

I just called the dealership in Glendale on this "ACR" and they had no idea what they had. Couldn't answer any questions.

While I like the car, it just seemed real shady. If anyone has the time and could run a Carfax for free, here's the VIN:

1B3ER69E0XV503717

Here's a second VIN for a GTS down in VA:

1B3ER69E8XV503416

1999 Dodge Viper $34,998 - Direct Dodge Chrysler Jeep - Wytheville, VA 24382 Dealer

-Dood

v10enomous

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I like the overall appearance of the car with the silver stripes. Barring any real serious problems there is no bad viper. The key is not to pay a museum quality price for a driver with a few issues. In 10 or 15 years cars like this will be in big demand. People restore much lesser cars from oil stains these days... All of these cars are rare exotics and deserve a caring owner.

This car just sold for $26k

Dodge : Viper - eBay (item 250774387728 end time Feb-22-11 05:10:51 PST)

You must be registered for see images

OP
OP
D

DaDood

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Okay, If this isn't a scam, I don't know what is! In my original post, I was hoping to get information on this GTS:
Cars for Sale: 2000 Dodge Viper GTS in UNION, KY 41091: Coupe Details - 294655807 - AutoTrader.com
Well, "The Owner" finally got back to me from the message I sent to him regarding the availability of the car last night and this is what the message said:

Hi Brian,

The car is like new, completely working, perfect running condition, with no hidden damages or accidents, it has always been garage kept, non-smoker no flood or storms. It will come with all the necessary papers (clear title, bill of sale, warranty documents, user's manual, insurance etc). The title is clean and you will be able to register the car without any problems.
You can see here pictures with the car : Pictures by 2000dodgeviperpaul - Photobucket
Let me know if you have more questions and I will be happy to provide you more details.

Thank You
Paul M.

Well, after that, I was really excited. I was very interested in the car, and several guys on this forum said that they may be able to look at the car for me. That's great news! So, I sent this message back to him requesting more info on the car and to see if someone from the VCA could look at the car for me:

Hi Paul,
Thanks for the response! I was curious about the car. There were a couple things I just wanted to ask really quick:
1) Are the stripes stock? (We already knew on the forum that they were not stock stripes, but I wanted to see what he would say)
2) Any aftermarket upgrades?
3) Did something happen to the front hood emblem of "Sneaky Pete" right below the front air duct to the intake?
4) Can someone from the VCA (Viper Club of America) take a look at the car for me? Some guys in the area have offered to look at it for me.
5) Oh, and age of tires? You and I both know how expensive they are to replace.
6) Are you the first owner? How many owners? I don't have access to a Carfax right now.

I tried calling a number for you from autotrader.com, but got a notice saying the number has been disconnected. If you have a better number to call, I can probably try to call you to talk about the car.

Thanks Paul!

-Brian

Well, after that, this is the response I get back from him:

Brian,

I am the second owner of this vehicle I purchased in September of 2007.
The orginal owner was around 70 yrs old and had around 10620 miles at purchase. The first owner replaced the tires before he sold it to me.
Factory Black With Factory Stripes
Black Interior
NON_SMOKER
Adult Owned
Never Raced (ever)
Never Driven In Snow Or Bad Weather (ever)
Vehicle Stored In Climate Controled Garage
The Under Side Of This Vehicle Looks New
All Orginal (NO MODS AT ALL)
Rear Tires Have About 1500 Miles On Them
Front Tires Are Orginal
I Did Have The Rims Chrome Plated (look like a Mirror). Cost was about $2000.00
Clear 3M bra on front of vehicle
Have orginal car cover (never used)
All Books & Both Keys

The car is in Union KY, but did not said I'm there also. Sorry for that. I'm a Doctor(General Practice), now in Hawaii and will not be there to hand it over.
Sorry but nobody's there and the car is in my garage, this is why we'll work through eBay Motors Customer Department and they will keep the money until the purchase is final and you test it and accept it.
Sorry for not being clear from the beginning, my fault.
Let me explain you how the eBay process works.
1. You send the requested amount of $32,000 to an eBay motors representative.
2. eBay will confirm me that you have made the payment.
3. I will come home and sign all the papers..
4. If you will not get the same car that you have viewed in the ad, and also a clean title, you will receive all your money back from eBay motors.
5. If everything is ok, eBay motors will get the approval from you to release me the funds.
If you agree with this process please let me know so we can start the transaction with eBay.

Thank You
Paul M

I think I saw the exact, carbon copy e-mail scam from someone else on this forum. He is probably a prince from Somalia hiding in the US until his rich father can get back into power and pay me back with the billions of diamond money his family has! That sucked. I guess if I want a nice Viper, I'll have to buy it from someone in the VCA (and probably pay a lot more too!):dunno:

-Dood

Fatboy 18

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Dont go there, THERES NO FRIGGIN WAY I would hand over any monies without getting someone to test out the car.

So the car is being advertised on Autotrader, and he wants you to use Ebay!!!! Yea right :nunu:

Scam Scam Scam :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :nono:

Last edited:

Camfab

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If it's in "Glendale" and it's at a used car dealer it's probably shady.

I just called the dealership in Glendale on this "ACR" and they had no idea what they had. Couldn't answer any questions.

While I like the car, it just seemed real shady. If anyone has the time and could run a Carfax for free, here's the VIN:

1B3ER69E0XV503717

Here's a second VIN for a GTS down in VA:

1B3ER69E8XV503416

1999 Dodge Viper $34,998 - Direct Dodge Chrysler Jeep - Wytheville, VA 24382 Dealer

-Dood

Last edited:

Next Phase

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hi all,

I've been following the forums for years now and I am just about ready to break down and get my first Viper! :headbang: I've been waiting until I finish grad school to buy my first Viper, and I've been finding that Black/Black GTS's (even with stripes) are very hard to come by, especially low mileage or unmolested ones.

I've been pricing GTS's and early model SRT-10's for some time trying to see if I can find a decent priced (and in good shape) '99-'00 Black/Black GTS in my price range. I found this one on Autotrader.com and the exterior pictures look great and it is exactly what I've been looking for, but there are no interior pictures and the description is really short for the car.

I was wondering if anyone on the forums was familiar with this GTS:

Thanks for any of the feedback you guys may have on the car!

-Brian

I'm guessing by the ad that it is a scam... that is too good of a deal and no phone number listed in the ad. (No front emblem means wrecked or repaint)

Good luck in your hunt!

Sarge

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've been looking for a Viper too. Had a very similar experience with a car in VA Beach with the owner in Phoenix. Bad phone number, etc.

Not to many close to home so I have to use the web too.

Sorry it won't work out for you.

cfiiman

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Yep scam central, they are all over auto trader seems like these days, I had the same response almost word for word on a 911 I was looking at in TX. If it is legit let one of us (like Stretch said) look at it, which won't happen b/c it is a big a$$ scam, it ***** when this happens...

V

Venomiss

Contact your local group in MD/VA and see if you can come to one of their meetings or events.
Put the word out that you are looking for a Viper there first.

Welcome to the VA/MD Region of the Viper Club of America.

You might get lucky and not only find a Viper but meet the owner/ see the car in person and most important get some background information on it.

Another plus is if you buy it local you save on shipping expense.

There are other Viper Club of America groups not far-New England or NY/CT might be other areas to check out. The Viper Club of America has 38 regions all over.;)
Viper Club of America - New York/Connecticut Region

Good luck with your search.

Last edited by a moderator: