Anyone get mad when you wouldn't let them drive your Viper?

V10SpeedLuvr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I was talking to a friend yesterday and remembered this story. Me and a girl were hanging out in Atlanta and about to leave to go to a club earlier this year. As we’re in the parking lot, she runs into two friends of hers, both guys. For simplicity, they’ll be referred to as ******* and Tall Dude.

She introduces us and as happy as I am to now be sharing date time with ******* and Tall Dude, I was ready to leave. ******* sees the Viper and asks if its mine (we were maybe 10’ away from it). I say yes and he asks can he sit in it. I tell him yes just so he’ll go away. So, me, the girl and Tall Dude continue to talk. ******* yells over and says “Can I drive it”? I LOL and say no. He says “man, just give me the keys, I just wanna go around the parking lot!” in a VERY demanding type voice.

Being that I’m a politically correct person and that the girl I was with was his friend, I didn’t say what I wanted to say at this point. Trust me, it was rude and mean :D I spin around and say back to him (with the same @$$hole tone he used with me) “man, drop the damn e-brake let it roll 2’ and claim you drove it”! He gets out the car (clearly ticked) and pouts until me, tall dude and my date get done talking and we all leave the parking lot.

In 6 years and 55k miles worth of driving, noone had ever caught an attitude with me when I told them they couldn't drive it. I had just met this ******* 5 minutes earlier! Has anyone else ever had someone they know (or better yet didn’t know) get mad when you didn’t let them drive your car?

TowDawg

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just some goober from GA who is always wearing a hat. It looked like it was going to rain, and he kept mumbling about his car having never been rained on, so he wanted to drive mine instead.

01sapphirebob

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Nothing like that. I think most people are half joking when they ask me but I always say "As long as you can cut me a check for $60,000.00 that will not bounce." They laugh and usually don't ask again.

OP
OP
V

V10SpeedLuvr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just some goober from GA who is always wearing a hat. It looked like it was going to rain, and he kept mumbling about his car having never been rained on, so he wanted to drive mine instead.

I know that guy. He's basically a ***** :D

Nothing like that. I think most people are half joking when they ask me but I always say "As long as you can cut me a check for $60,000.00 that will not bounce." They laugh and usually don't ask again.

I don't get asked much because most everyone knows the answer. When people do ask I just use the "insurance won't cover you" excuse, but with the tone this guy used, I wasn't going to be nice or try to save his feelings.

aloushi

Enthusiast
Reaction score
never had a dumb @$$ stranger like the ******-bag you ran into but I did have a few people at work ask to drive it and one of them actually got pissed. Since I've owned my 02 RT/10 the only other person that drove it (one time) was my brother. The Viper is not for everyone and it certainly isn't some ***** that I'm gonna pass around...

VYPR BYT 94

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think he was the one in a million you had the displeasure of meeting. Most just like to look and ask questions. He probably can't hold his booze without getting like that that!

E_tar

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Here's an opposite reaction .. I asked my best friend if he wanted to drive it, he politely said "No thanks man.. I dont want to be responsible for damaging it if something goes wrong"... I actually was pushing him to try it out but he declined LOL'ing and I really trust the guy, he has let me drive his mustang shelby in the past.. I trust him even more now.

My 11 year old IS however Pissed with me. I picked him up from school in the viper twice this last month and now he asks every second day.. I keep saying no. Over the past week, he's stopped and pouts, asks his mom to pick him instead.. Truth is I get nervous.. the last time i took it to his school.. a lot of the little boys and girls crowded it and made me nervous..

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
A valet wouldn't let me park my Viper myself. I said, "forget it then." He then replied, "I've driven 50 of these cars." And I said, "I've banged 50 women, you gonna let me bang yours?"

DaDood

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Happens to me all the time, but never with people I don't or hardly know. It's always friends. The people who don't ask or say no when I offer, I respect them way more.

Mopar Boy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
“man, drop the damn e-brake let it roll 2’ and claim you drove it”!

:rolaugh: Nice!

OMG! :rolaugh: Wonder who that was!

I know that guy. He's basically a ***** :D

You know him too!? What a small world! :D

I did have a person ask once. Also got ticked when I said no. Apparently he has driven cars with twice the power (no comments from you Chumpy! :D) and so he can therefore drive mine with no issues.

Most though are very respectful.

Dom426h

Enthusiast
Reaction score
- - - - - nomination for post of the year - - - - -

A valet wouldn't let me park my Viper myself. I said, "forget it then." He then replied, "I've driven 50 of these cars." And I said, "I've banged 50 women, you gonna let me bang yours?"

mattdillon

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Chuck SHUT UP! Thats TOOOOOOO FUNNY, I don't think I'd have the balls to say that, especially if my wife was with me. Lol

mattdillon

Enthusiast
Reaction score

+1 Dom, I posted before I read yours. I don't think I've had anybody ask me, that wasn't kidding, at least I took it that way (like surely your not serious, I know, I know don't call me Shirley). My wife doesn't want to drive mine cause I really think she knows how dangerous it is & it's only a Creampuff! I really don't think I would want her to drive it anyway. I really do believe these cars are VERY DANGEROUS! jmo

SlayerLS1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Only reason I accepted an offer to drive one was because I wanted to be sure it was going to be the car I would buy. Now that I know I'm getting one, I won't be driving anyone else's viper. I can't imagine doing something to hurt someone else's car....that would **** so much for the owner.

Edit: If a friend is bugging you that hard to drive it and doesn't respect your property or what's important to you...well, maybe they aren't that good of a friend.

mattdillon

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Only reason I accepted an offer to drive one was because I wanted to be sure it was going to be the car I would buy. Now that I know I'm getting one, I won't be driving anyone else's viper. I can't imagine doing something to hurt someone else's car....that would **** so much for the owner.

Edit: If a friend is bugging you that hard to drive it and doesn't respect your property or what's important to you...well, maybe they aren't that good of a friend.
Slayer, you don't think all those guys that hurt somebody else's Viper really meant to do you(some dealerships won't even let you test drive one)! If it was that easy, you wouldn't have near as many accidents. jmo

Red Snake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've had several rednecks get mad when I won't tell them how much I've "got in that thang" ($$$). :D

Let someone else drive it? Ain't happening. ;)

SlayerLS1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
mattdillon:3012625 said:

Slayer, you don't think all those guys that hurt somebody else's Viper really meant to do you(some dealerships won't even let you test drive one)! If it was that easy, you wouldn't have near as many accidents. jmo

Of course they didn't mean to. Which is why I won't drive anyone else's now. Reduces the chances of me killing someone's dream car to zero. And unless someone has a damn good reason to drive someone else's car, I suggest they do the same. ;)

GTLaser

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Nope, because I'm the tall dude and most people don't even attempt to ask.... He must have been jealous you got the girl because he didn't have the Viper....explains the "********" nickname.

Fatboy 18

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ive let a good friend of mine drive my car with me in the passenger seat, It scared the life out of me, it was not the speed but the fact he was not used to LHD, he was not driving close enough to the curb so i was closing my eyes towards on coming traffic, yelling "move over, move over" :omg:

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If someone asks what it costs, and assuming that I don't want that answer to escalate into dinner drinks and a meaningless overnight relationship, I usually just say it's not for sale. That often confuses them and they walk. If they continue and say I don't want to buy it I just want to know what it costs, I ask them to explain why the cost matters if they don't want to buy it. Very few last past that one.

eucharistos

Enthusiast
Reaction score
once when i was buying a maisto viper at wally world the cashier looked at the car and asked if that is my dream car, i told her i have one, she immediately said "can i drive it?"
:omg: :drive: :nono:

TowDawg

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Of course they didn't mean to. Which is why I won't drive anyone else's now. Reduces the chances of me killing someone's dream car to zero. And unless someone has a damn good reason to drive someone else's car, I suggest they do the same. ;)

I've let a couple of people (very close friends) drive mine with me in it, and one friend drive it while I was out of town. The friend who had it while I was out of town was thinking about a newer model and wanted to see how it drove (he had a '96 b/w GTS when they first came out). I'm too worried about him though. First off, I'm a pretty good driver, and he can out-drive me on a roadcourse without a doubt. Second, he could write me check for brand new ACR without batting an eye if he wrecked mine. Third, he has a garage full of exotics that he will toss me the keys to if I want to drive something different. :)