anyone have trouble putting gas in their Viper?

kenphjr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have a feeling it's just me,but everytime I go to certain gas stations in my area,the pump clicks off immediately just like it's full-even though I have less than half a tank-I have to go back with gas cans and then I can fill the Viper from the cans-Can't understand what's happening exactly -any ideas?-01 RT/10

BlueLIGHTNING

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Use to have that problem with my 05 and sometimes 08. Even took it the dealer and they checked it out but nothing was wrong with it. I found it had most of the issue with Sunoco 94 octane gas, didn't happen with some other brands even though assuming most of the gas is all the same.

DrTaco

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Pretty common, but it seems to vary from one gas station pump to another. NOT Viper specific problem. There's a little safety-shutoff check valve in the pump nozzle and it will always kill the flow of gas when the gas starts coming back up the filler neck. Sounds like the gas flow from the pump to the nozzle is higher than the rate your gas can get from your filler neck down to the gas tank. I'd try another station or pump, and if it keeps happening maybe you have some sort of buildup or blockage? In any case, stopping and pulling the nozzle out a bit before re-pumping should help avoid having to use gas cans (that would drive me nuts).

Last edited:
OP
OP
K

kenphjr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks guys,I appreciate the feedback-the cans are getting tiresome

AAKVIPER

Enthusiast
Reaction score
With my 1994 I have to shut off the car then pump the gas...I tried to pump gas while the car runs...the nozzle stops...*****..I like to do a hot refueling.. Arthur

Jmch

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Turning the pump handle upside down sometimes works.

this always does the trick for me.. I just rotate the pump handle about 180° from the normal position and hold the hose up.. I imagine I look pretty silly but it works

Luisv

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It happens to me from time to time. It's the nozzle and the fill sensor. I have trouble with two stations and its not just the Viper, it's also with my Charger. I avoid them. However if I get it when out of town I simply back the nozzle out a bit, like 3/4 of an inch and then turn it 90 degrees and go that way.

My bigger fear is the nozzle handle hitting the body. I carry a small towel just to protect the body. Some handles get to within 1/4 inch of the body.

OP
OP
K

kenphjr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks again,I'll try some of these tips- if I can get the gas station attendant to let me pump my own gas-you guys know we don't pump our own gas here in Jersey-some guys will let you do it yourself -especially with a collector type vehicle or an exotic-I've had guys spill the gas that was left in the hose from the previous fill up -onto my car-really bad

Jance GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
With my 1994 I have to shut off the car then pump the gas...I tried to pump gas while the car runs...the nozzle stops...*****..I like to do a hot refueling.. Arthur

You leave the car running when you fill it with gas??? We have signs that tell us to shut the car off when filling up.

BlackOutBoxing

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I always have to hold the gas nozzle myself. I pull the rubber part up and i dont put the nozzle all the way in the tank. Most of the time if i dont do this it will click off too. This happen to me with many different vipers?

denniskgb

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks again,I'll try some of these tips- if I can get the gas station attendant to let me pump my own gas-you guys know we don't pump our own gas here in Jersey-some guys will let you do it yourself -especially with a collector type vehicle or an exotic-I've had guys spill the gas that was left in the hose from the previous fill up -onto my car-really bad

Oh no wrong. I live in NJ. First thing I tell the attendant is to back off and not touch my car. I am adamant about it. And believe me nobody has put gas in my car but me, screw NJ law.

DrumrBoy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It happens to me from time to time. It's the nozzle and the fill sensor. I have trouble with two stations and its not just the Viper, it's also with my Charger. I avoid them. However if I get it when out of town I simply back the nozzle out a bit, like 3/4 of an inch and then turn it 90 degrees and go that way.

My bigger fear is the nozzle handle hitting the body. I carry a small towel just to protect the body. Some handles get to within 1/4 inch of the body.

This works for me. Also try to put the auto lock on the low-flow setting.....the little retainer usually has two positions.....its slower but doesn't cause the backflow sensor to activate.

Also, it's true even in NJ that at most stations you can convince the guys to let you fill it yourself. One trick that works is telling them that "the handle sometimes comes out of the filler tube when the shut off happens....so either you hold the handle the whole time or let me do it". They usually back off and let you fill it.

Good luck with these techniques

Ginja

Viper Owner
Reaction score
this always does the trick for me.. I just rotate the pump handle about 180° from the normal position and hold the hose up.. I imagine I look pretty silly but it works

I have to do this on both my 97 and 04 cars, always works and isn't really a bother at all. Its the first thing I had to find out when I got my 97 as it took ages to get fuel in the first time I tried to fill it.

MoparMap

VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
This works for me. Also try to put the auto lock on the low-flow setting.....the little retainer usually has two positions.....its slower but doesn't cause the backflow sensor to activate.

I have to do this same thing on my 67 Dart I put a new aftermarket tank in. I don't the vent line is big enough to let the air out of the tank as fast as the new gas is coming in, so the filler neck will back up or the pump sees too much backpressure and shuts off the pump. I can usually get by with just putting the pump on the lowest auto-fill setting, but sometimes I'll just have to stand there and modulate it myself for the whole fill.

MtnBiker

Enthusiast
Reaction score
As others have said. ..If the nozzle has the plastic tube thing I have to hold it upside down. A few older stations still have the nozzles with no vapor capturing device and they work fine.

GreenVenom

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Viper Only does it when the temperature is in the 40s-50s-low 60s. Beyond that never a problem. One of my Vettes (C5) used to be the same way, if it was in the 30s it would take forever to fill.

VYPR BYT 94

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Look at it like this...

It's no diff than when you are using a funnel to fill a riding mower or something... as soon as the air flow is choked off by too much gas converging in one spot, it starts to back up which is when the sensor trips it at the pumps.
The rotating 180 degress thing helps just aids in keeping the air flowing to allow faster filling.... ultimately keeps the sensor from tripping.

- as far as the letting it run while pumping... vipers have way too much compression for that.

dawgman

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I have discovered that the less gas in the tank, the better it fills. If I try to top off with more than 1/2 of a tank, it takes forever. Get down between 1/4 and 1/2, and no problems.

Coloviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just pull the nossle out a bit more (instead of shoved all the way in so it is now at a different angle and can breathe) and keep trying it (adjusting how far in or out) until it flows freely. It comes from the backsplash in the filler tube triggering the auto shut off valve in the nossle. Both our Cayennes, the Viper and the Saleen all do it at certain gas stations. A small adjustment on how far in and not more issue. Filling hot should only be done if you are worried about it restarting. It is not a good practice, well unless it is winter and 40 below out as well. Static Electricity can happen in the weirdest situations and then bang, there goes your head. Probably shouldn't be using the cell phone while filling either.

hiss highness

Enthusiast
Reaction score
the opening in the car is supposed to be small, this ensures that the nozzle touches the car in some way to ground-out static, newer low wattage cell phone do not have the problems like old 5 watt phones did in auto igniting fuel, only problem with fueling up is that there are no hot naked chicks for full serve and fuel is aroun 7 odd bucks a gallon premium up here even though it comes from our back yard. also perpetual running of any vehicle with a in tank pump below 1/4 full can decrease pump life as the pump being submersed in fuel keeps it cool, oh yeh, and fuel can contain up to 10% by volume of entrained air(diesel especially). so maybe having the air gap when u fuel up is like an aerator on your sink making hot starts worse(maybe)

slysnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I thought this was going to be a thread about crazy gas prices for premium grade. :(

dtvtech

Viper Owner
Reaction score
94 Octane gas .......you Canadians got it made :D
Use to have that problem with my 05 and sometimes 08. Even took it the dealer and they checked it out but nothing was wrong with it. I found it had most of the issue with Sunoco 94 octane gas, didn't happen with some other brands even though assuming most of the gas is all the same.

OP
OP
K

kenphjr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
we had 94 octaneSunoco ultra here in New Jersey and then some years back it suddenly changed to 93 -like all the other gas-makes me wonder if there are really any differences between the brands anymore

crackleking

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have a 98 rt/10 and I have similar problems. One time, putting in gas, and it overflowed out of the opening. I could never fill the car up all the way. I generally, to be safe, just put in 20.00 at a time. I do not take long trips, so I really do not have to worry about having a lot of gas.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
webironmongery