Anyone lose a friend after buying Viper?

Tom and Vipers

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am finding out that some of my friends are implying that I bought my '00 GTS to show off how much money I have. (Ugh)

So I made some money in the stock market. Everyone knows that. It doesn't matter, though, that my house should be raised and I've basically lived like a dog for my entire life (48 years old.)

If I don't spend my money, no-one is offended (perhaps I'm labeled a scrooge). If I do buy myself a treat, then I'm a showoff.

I think you get the idea.

Has anyone else run into this?

Paul Fischer

Enthusiast
Reaction score
That's odd. When I got my Viper suddenly I had friends everywhere! There was a parade at least once a week to my house that formed behind my car and didn't stop till the cul-de-sac looked like a parking lot. Forget about any personal anonymity. I could have gone into the charity ride business, "Can I have a ride?' began to replace "Good morning, how are you?" as the way I was greeted. And never mind the Richie Rich stuff (my previous two cars were Rolls, bought both for under $35k combined but I live very simply), that Dodge gets more attention than anything I've ever piloted. There were requests for the car in movies, parades and charity car shows.

I saw a window sticker in a PT Cruiser the other day for $28k. That makes a Viper for anything under $70k look like the bargain of a lifetime. And then when you go to the track and eat a few six figure cars for breakfast just warming up your tires the value of the Viper becomes undeniable. On a value for the dollar basis there is nothing that compares. take them for just one ride and your friends may well agree...

FRANK

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I ran into the same stuff after I bought my RT/10. Two of my good friends eyes opened wide and still make their comments. Comments like "Oh you own a friggin Viper and you won't buy this or that or spend another $5.00 for this or that?"

They forget that my daily driver is an 1985 Ram 150 and before that I drove an 87 Lebaron with no heat or A/C! Meanwhile one friend is driving a new Ford Explorer ($37,000) and the other drives a Dodge Ram 3500 ($35,000). I just don't understand their thoughts/way of thinking...plus they always drove new cars and had payments. My Viper is the first car that I have ever owned and made payments on. Actually the Viper is the only car I own that is in the 90's!! Actually, I like it that way...

ACR Joe

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you lose a friend after buying a Viper, they were never really a friend at all. Real friends are not jealous or envious, they are truly happy and totally supportive of a friends good fortune.

To strangers though, I find myself explaining my very modest urban upbringing and how hard I had to work to buy a Viper. With young people, I use the opportunity to promote the merits of education and living a clean, drug free lifestyle.

Roland L-Ocala FL

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've always had a car or two in the "third" garage stall, always been a MOPAR, and even built a heated garage for the Challenger T/A 340 SixPak, before the Viper came into the family, so it wasn't noticed so much. As a matter of fact, after I gave a friend from Rhode Island a ride in the Viper, he thought about a Viper, but went out and bought a brand spanking new ZO6, so he spent more for his car, that I did for mine. Yes, I got a little bit of razzing about being the "rich guy", but that is all it was. I like to "share" the car, and take as many people out in it as I can. That changes their minds right away, as they can see all the reasons for buying it, as soon as I hit the "go" pedal.
You must be registered for see images

Matt M PA

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It was funny when I got my '96 GTS in spring of 1998. I used to do alot of car shows, and I got the typical "must be nice to be rich" crap talk too. I found it funny that when I had two Superbirds that I restored I was just a regular guy...yet when I sold them and bought the Vipers, I was some wealthy so and so. When I traded my '94 and '96 Vipers on the 2000, it was as though I had hit the lottery to some people. My family and friends know the truth and that's all that matters.

AviP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Real friends stay friends forever. Whether you show up on their doorstep after being out of touch for 2 years or you meet them everyday. Those who leave you because you might be doing financially better are just "passing acquaintances".

It's true that some people feel that owning a Viper means being very rich and being a spendthrift about everything. I don't believe that's true in my case since my purchase had everything to do with getting value for my money and nothing to do with status. In fact I had a hard time handling the attention I received. I research any purchase I make that costs more than $50. So what!!! It's my money.

Nadine UK GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I get annoyed by all the "how much" questions in the UK, and especially being a 'girlie' and owning one seems to upset a few people. I find some sort of reply along the lines of 'the bank owns more than me, but at least I get to drive him' usually shuts 'em up! Or 'Yes, lovely car, and so are the bills!' But, it shouldn't have to be like that. I think people like this will never be happy if they are always upset by what they 'see' others to have. My true friends, of course, have all been treated to a Viper ride, and none of them had any jealous comments to make. In fact they've all been rather speechless!

Nadine UK GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Oh, and since I've had my Viper, I now have a best-friend. He's always there for me, and always puts a smile on my face, and makes me feel so good.

BigsViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I was surprised at the reaction from my friends / partners / customers. I was surprised because the people I thought would give me a hard time were the most supportive! I guess I was a little apprehensive because the Viper does make a statement, there is nothing like it! In my part of the world, if you spend $70k to $80k on a car, and have kids to educate etc., buying this plaything says that you are doing OK, or you're an idiot! My true friends know in my case it's the latter. The rest who may be shallow and envious, I disassociate myself from. Anyway I tell them that the Viper holds its value so well that if the kids blow their scholarships, I can sell it and cover a few years tuition anyway. As far as cars go, it's not a bad investment (recent NASDAQ).

I've got friends that own multiple Lambo's and Ferraris, and the GTS gets as much if not more attention than those at 1/3 the cost! Makes me look pretty thrifty! I agree with those that say your true friends will be happy for you, forget the rest!

VIPERESS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
A true friend would never judge a book by it's cover. Although very sad , but so true in many cases; in todays society so many individuals place someone's worth or value strictly on their "material" posessions. Others become envious and jealous at someone elses good fortune after they have worked hard to attain what ever it may be. This is not limited to friends either. Even one's own family members may develop feelings of resentment and jealousy. I purchased my 98 Rt/10 new and two years later purchased my 2000 Gts new as well. Needless to say I've heard many inappropriate comments, add to that being a woman driving a Viper!!!! hehe!!
. But to tell you the truth I don't care one bit what others have to say. I bought the car because I LOVE IT and get great enjoyment from it. I surround myself with people who truly care about and love me. "True friends", not jealous, envious negative individuals. People who are non-judgemental and are genuinely happy for "things" I am able to posess after hard work and in some cases a certain amount of "good luck". Just enjoy your car because "you can" and the heck with the rest of them!!
Congratulations on your purchase!!! Be safe and have FUN!!
Have a wonderful day!
Laura

Blake Kercovich

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Are you into racing that snake? If so, I'll be your new friend!

Seriously, if you are interested in any types of racing in the Pittsburgh area, check out this thread: http://64.70.135.137/ViperUBB/Forum14/HTML/000963.html

Cool to see we've got some Vipers in the area. Although I never see you guys! You must either hide, or stay out towards Monroeville (I'm always north, south, or west!)

As for the original question, when I bought a used Corvette, I had people I work with, and some friends always saying things like, "Oh, Mr. Rich Vette Guy. Must be nice to make all that money." It's funny when I explain that my used Vette cost less than that new SUV or 4 door family wagon they just bought!

Your real friends know you bought the car because it was a dream of yours and you bought it to drive and enjoy it, not try to be a show off.

As for the others, just laugh at them and say "Yep, and my poo don't stink either!"