Are we all stupid? (including me!)

Rocketman66

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Folks,

I put my Viper in storage last month and I think about it daily. When I pulled in to fill it up one last time, every mechanic came out and hovered around it. (As always, I accepted compliments with grace and pride). Boys, this is truly one of the best machines ever built. We clearly do not understand how rare this car is. I went into the Viper Registry and from 1992 to 2003 a TOTAL of 19,864 units were built. Typically, a Corvette has a production from 10000 to 20000 per year. So then why are our prices so low? The legendary Viper is extremely rare, one of the fastest, and most beautiful cars ever produced and our prices should reflect it! Lets all wake up! What does a brand new SUV cost? Apparently it's more expensive than a Viper. DO NOT give your car away!!! Any thoughts?

kcobean

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I agree that it would be good to see prices stay high, but the Viper, like anything else, is subject to the laws of supply and demand. Despite the relatively low numbers of Vipers produced, there are plenty for sale to the relatively small market of people who want and can afford them. If you want to sell, you have to price competitively and more sellers makes that harder to do. It would effectively take an organized "price gouging" effort to artificially inflate the value of the cars. That would be an awesome thing to see, unless you're the guy who needs to unload your Viper.

propsail

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I just enjoy the car. I try not to think too hard. It's not for everyone and prices are what they are. The seller doesn't influence that; ask more than what the market will pay and it'll sit forever. There are alot of high hp cars out nowadays to choose from, and more to come.

Just relax and enjoy the ride, that's what I say. Stupid? No. Grateful to be in position to own one? Absolutely.

~Craig

Scott5ppg

Viper Owner
Reaction score
While I agree you have a good point arguing scarcity and supply. We can't overlook demand and opportunity cost. Opportunity cost being the value of the next best alternative. With the advent of the internet, consumers have the advantage of "perfect information" knowing at the touch of a few keys what's on the market, where it’s at, and who is willing to sell at a realistic price or what the market can bear.

I spent a few months looking for my Viper and learned quickly three dealers, BJ, Dodgeviperforsale, and Naples Motor sports, thought as you. Hold on to them and wait for the big spender. They are still holding on to those cars and I have my ACR with less miles and a saving of 10 to 15K.

Now why do we sell for less??? If they are like me; we just get tired of it and want to move on to the next car or hobby. We got some value and enjoyment from the item and are willing to take a monetary loss to move on.

My 2 cents.

Scott

Asp Man

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've had similar thoughts on the subject.
But (as with real estate) we see our cars in full colour, enjoying the feeling of power, the effect it has on bystanders and all the other benifits, tangible or otherwise.
A potential buyer may only see it in black and white, a purchase like any other.

Russ M

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Give it time.

Those that once owned gen 1/2's will realize that selling was a mistake, and will buy again.

Those that gawked at them and said to them selves one day I will own one, are going to be buying them real soon.

Demand>Supply sooner or later.

rcdice

Enthusiast
Reaction score
"Eventually" good clean cars will stop depreciating and start appreciating is accurate, IMHO. It's amazing how many cars keep coming to market that are now 400hp+. However, the Gen I/II's have a body that won't quit.

Very rare for any car not to depreciate prior to someday being considered collectable. Shelby could barely sell the last few 427 Cobras and used prices were lower. Yes, they depreciated too!

I've said it on this board before, the young boys of today love the Viper (I have an 11 yr old son). They've grown up with it being an icon, it's on their video games. 20 years from now they will be the young execs, developers, etc. writing checks at Barrett-Jackson. They will want an original "real" Viper.

pocketAA

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I just had to chime in on this subject because I have thought for many hours regarding this exact thing. When I was 15-16 years old and saw a viper for the first time I was awe struck. I loved the look and nothing matched it on the road in my opinion. Now at the age of 29, I bought my first viper. In my opinion the 1999-2002 vipers were the best made. I loved the look of the 99-02 rims, I think they make the car really stand out. I always thought that the 92-95 and 96-98 wheels just didn't work for the car. I also wanted a black RT/10 and since they only made them in 1999 and 2000 with the look I wanted, I had to severely narrow down my search and only had a few cars to choose from. I ended up buying a pristine 1999 RT/10 with 4700 mile on it. The car is flawless, but I did pay slightly more money for the car than others. I got my car for $48,000 which I considered a fair deal, but not a great one. I think these cars are going to demand a higher price at some point because people like me are going to want a particular year and color combination which is going to narrow down how many cars they can choose from. These cars should demand a higher price than what they are going for currently because they are rare and great. If the prices do continue to drop, that is fine with me too, because I have a car that not many get to experience.

ViperJames

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Look at it this way. What is a 95 Corvette Convertible with 25k worth right now? $15k? A 95 Viper Mint STOCK with 25k Miles is a realistic $35k. The VIper is still worth MORE than 1/2 original sticker price where the Vette is much less than 1/2 original sticker price.........That is an indication that our cars are not drastically depreciating....

Give it time, they will go up! I am confident. :headbang:

RX VIPER

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Look at it this way. What is a 95 Corvette Convertible with 25k worth right now? $15k? A 95 Viper Mint STOCK with 25k Miles is a realistic $35k. The VIper is still worth MORE than 1/2 original sticker price where the Vette is much less than 1/2 original sticker price.........That is an indication that our cars are not drastically depreciating....

Give it time, they will go up! I am confident. :headbang:

Exactly right! The Viper has all the necessary ingredients for a future high value collector car: low production #'s, high hp, and was desirable in time frame it was built. All the 10 y/o kids today that drive this car on their PS3 will be the ones paying 6 figues for this car at a Barrett-Jackson auction in 25 years!

PDCjonny

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Folks,

I put my Viper in storage last month and I think about it daily. When I pulled in to fill it up one last time, every mechanic came out and hovered around it. (As always, I accepted compliments with grace and pride). Boys, this is truly one of the best machines ever built. We clearly do not understand how rare this car is. I went into the Viper Registry and from 1992 to 2003 a TOTAL of 19,864 units were built. Typically, a Corvette has a production from 10000 to 20000 per year. So then why are our prices so low? The legendary Viper is extremely rare, one of the fastest, and most beautiful cars ever produced and our prices should reflect it! Lets all wake up! What does a brand new SUV cost? Apparently it's more expensive than a Viper. DO NOT give your car away!!! Any thoughts?

You right. In fact, I am willing to do my part to get these resale values higher. I am officially offering my car for sale for 75K. True market value be damned, I will make the sacrifice. So which interested prospective Viper owner is stepping up to grab this deal? Please form a single file line. :crazy: C'mon now lets work together on this to benefit.....me....and the Viper legacy of course.

Oh, and if you are interested in someone elses's Viper, be sure to offer them at least 10K over the going price to do your part.

MacManInfi

Enthusiast
Reaction score
All I can say is thank goodness the prices are low. Allowed me to get into a GTS for significantly less than the price of a new Vette. And I've never thought twice about that decision. Everyone who looks at the car thinks it cost me an arm and a leg, and everyone is absolutely stunned to hear that it's nine years old now.

V10SpeedLuvr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I havent read this whole thread, so ignore me if someone has already said this. I've wondered if the reason many Viper owners "give their car away" (which anything under $30k is GIVING away, below $35k is pushing it) is because most Viper owners are fairly wealthy and can afford to sell the cars a lot cheaper than they should just for a easier sell so they have the garage space to add a newer Viper or a "better" car (Lambo, Ferrari, etc). For the money and performance, a Viper is the BEST deal on ANY car out there!

FE 065

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Give it time.

Those that once owned gen 1/2's will realize that selling was a mistake, and will buy again.

Sold my '94 G1 ( that was okay, because I wanted a G2)

sold my '96 GTS (thought I wanted to live overseas forever) :bonker:

sold my '02 FE (thought I wanted to go back to where I'd just BEEN for 3yrs overseas after being back in the US about a year) (DUH) :bonker: :bonker: :buttkick:

I ain't selling this '99 GTS !

God Bless the USA (or anywhere that has Vipers)

VENOMAHOLIC

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The bottom value of any Viper is associated to the value of it's parts if in decent condition for that year. Original hoods and sidesills for example will always hold value almost regardless of miles. Solid V10 engines will always hold value since even if a rebuild is necessary.

jtupper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You are all forgeting that DC produced more cars than the market demanded and therefore dealers had to drastically reduce the prices of the newer cars to clear their inventories. This is what is killing the used car values. Unless a person is looking for a specific model or year, why would they buy used when they can get a new car for a few grand more with a full waranty?

jtupper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
HAVE YOU SEEN THE NEW VIPER!!!!!!! :bonker:

haha, I too am partial to the gen 2 cars, but that's not the way everyone else feels. You have to admit that new discounted vipers are not helping your used car values.

ViperJoe

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You have no signature, I am assumong that you have a GEN2

Your statistics include 2003 which is the GEN3 car, apples and oranges

GEN2 entire production was 17,949......let's say 18k for arguments sake

Corvette production (especially GEN5 and GEN6) is typically 20K to 30K

jtupper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
No, I am sorry to say that I do not own a Viper:( I am student going to college in Madison and hoping to purchase one as soon as I get out into the workplace.

Exactly, C5 and C6 vettes will deprectiate in value far more than your Vipers because of the high production numbers.

onerareviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
No doubt the Gen I/II are going to be worth a fortune some day.... The looks, the rarity, the V10, the looks, the 488 cubes, the looks.... Did I mention the looks?

On a side note, was the Viper the first production car to have a V10? I can't think of any others, but I'm not an expert on pre-60's.