Battery died - can't remove lug nuts

viperct2001

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Battery died - can\'t remove lug nuts

Murphy's Law ) I was taking my 2001 Viper to the Wizard for service and a new battery and it died the day I tried to take it in. Chuck was amazed my original dealer battery (rated for 2 years) was still worknig 5 years later. :)

I just drove it 2 weeks ago and it ran fine. I even plugged it into a trickle charger while I awaited nice weather in the NorthEast. Of all the times to die. I was taking her in for service. so close...

Anyway, trying to install the battery myself since don't want it towed just for a dead battery. Don't trust tow trucks.

I tried the Viper tire iron as well as two others and can't seem to loosen any of them. I've busted a lug nut on one of my other cars by standing on the tire iron, but wouldn't dare try that on the Viper.

I know there is probably a powerful drill with lug nut adaptor at Home Depot that would put even torque all around the lug nut and remove it.

any recommendations?

or should I just call AAA or Geico (have road service) and have them tow the damn thing to Tator's which is about 22 miles away? The car is pulled into the garage, so not sure if tow truck can pull the car onto a flat bed from the rear or if that will scrape the front fascia. There's little room to roll the Viper out of the garage into the driveway and then somehow get the flatbed in front of the Viper, but I'm sure a 10-point turn by the tow truck driver might do the trick. Those guys (& gals) can do some amazing things with their tow trucks.

I was kinda looking forward to taking the back tire off and changing the battery, but I'm also dangerous around tools. :p

Update:
Btw, how do I jump start a Viper? I plugged a battery jumper to the positive terminal and then plugged the negative to the body of the Viper and I can't even get a single light to go on. I would think I should at least be able to get the rear view mirror light to get some power.

Do I need to connect the negative somewhere else?

p.s. Can't find my user manual, so if there is a PDF link let me know.

AJT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re: Battery died - can\'t remove lug nuts

Stand on it & have someone hold it on. Or you can jump it & drive it to Tators

Ulysses

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Spray some WD-40 on the lug nut and let it soak in. Then get a 1/2 inch breaker bar and a 6 point socket that will fit the lug nut. It's either 19 or 21 mm (don't remember exactly). Get a long pipe and slide it on top of the breaker bar (The handle from your jack should do it). Try to loosen it again, but be careful.

OP
OP
V

viperct2001

Viper Owner
Reaction score

what about attempting to jump it? Where do I connect the negative? I tried connecting to the body.

I'm using a Husky Portable AC/DC power system to try and jump the Viper which has 450amps of power.

When connected to the Husky, I don't see a single light when I turn the ignition. Totally dead.

I know when I've jumped other cars, I usually get more success when I also connect the negative jumper cable directly to the battery's negative terminal.

any help on jumping is appreciated.

GR8_ASP

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Geesh, where to start. First the body on the viper is plastic. It will not act as a ground (where would you hook it anyway?).

On the drivers side below the battery connection there is a small stud (possibly with a green cap on it). That is the ground. You could also ground directly to the engine somewhere. Stay away from the belts).

bth1

Viper Owner
Reaction score

You may want to go out and get a nice tire iron (the type that is shaped like an X). That should help you get the leverage that you need and be more substantial than a cheap smaller one. Are they all on tight like that or is it just one that is giving you problems? WD40 or similar penatrating oil shoudl help.

Otherwise, I would think that you could roll the car out, get some jumper cables and a good running vehicle, and jump it by hooking the positive up to the positive in the engine comp and the negative to the body (on my 96 there is a post under a green plastic cap) and then hook the other cables (making sure they don't touch) up to the battery of the running car.

Normally, I would let it sit on the dead car for a while (5-10 minuites) as the good car runs. That can allow the battery to get some juice before you even try and get the dead car started. Then try and start the Viper. I haven't jumped a Viper before but when I lived in Fargo ND batteries would die like you wouldn't believe in the frigid cold and we frequently had to jump friends and this is what we did.

AJT

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Positive connection drivers side under hood with red plastic cover over it. Between driver door & front tire. Ground to bolt below it.

DrumrBoy

Enthusiast
Reaction score

What Ulysees said. I've had the same issue and the breaker bar was enough (even without the pipe attached). The key is to apply only radial force, when you stand on it you can apply diametrical force unintentionally....the two combined leads to that nasty snapping sound. WD 40 or liquid wrench to loosen it up...maybe even overnight.
Good luck with it.

DrumrBoy

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Or Ulysses (if you want it spelled right) :2tu:

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score

.......I know there is probably a powerful drill with lug nut adaptor at Home Depot that would put even torque all around the lug nut and remove it.
any recommendations?.......or should I just call AAA or Geico (have road service)Update:
Btw, how do I jump start a Viper?

If you have road service, have them come out to CHANGE A TIRE. They will remove the rear wheel for you. {you could even let the air out, but why bother.) Du use some penetrating lube before they show. And you might consider SOLID lug nuts. The 99-2006 lugs are capped...when you yard on em they flex and can break. (24, 3X Chrome Acorn lug nuts $69!)

Some trickle-type automatic charges will NOT charge a totally dead battery! They get 'triggered' to come on by nominal residual voltage....if there is ZERO they will not work.

DanAuito

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Auto zone has a mack daddy breaker bar and impact sockets, that combination takes em off like butter. We used evergreen penetrating solution to loosen up the worst aircraft corroded nuts, just let it soak in and it worked great.

OP
OP
V

viperct2001

Viper Owner
Reaction score

>then plugged the negative to the body of the Viper

>>First the body on the viper is plastic.

Woops, my bad. I know it has to be connected to something metal. Physics 101...

I meant to say that I attached it to some metal under the hood, but just used the generic "body" term. Bad explanation on my part.

Don't know exactly what part of the car it is called. It's some metal just under the body right near where the hood latches.

Good news - I found the negative terminal bolt and was able to jump it. The engine sounds pretty rough after 5 minutes of idling. At least it appears drivable to Chucks.

woohoo!

AZTVR

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Can't find my user manual, so if there is a PDF link let me know.

Check the pockets in the back side of the seats for your user manual, if you mean that you've never seen it before, rather than misplaced it. (At least that's where it was on my GTS...not sure about the RT/10)

Reaction score

AviP

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I have the same task to do. Change out my dead battery.

Use WD40. Wait 5 minutes. Try lifting up on the wrench instead of pushing down. Bend your knees, keep your back straight and then lift up on the wrench while simultaneously straightening out the knees. This works for me and I'm skinny at 150 lbs.

Vic

VCA Venom Member
Reaction score

When you put the lug nuts back on, use a torque wrench, and don't go past 90 foot pounds. They will never be hard to get off again, if they aren't torqued down too much while tightening.

The classic "X" tire wrench is good, in that you can twist it on opposite sides, and apply that force evenly to the lug nut.

Home Depot has Dewalt electric impacts, they are pretty good for removing stuck nuts and bolts, but don't use it to tighten, use the torque wrench instead. While you are at the Depot, get a set of those high torque, heat treated black sockets, they are designed for use on impacts. Your typical chrome socket may crack if you stick it on an impact.

twinturbo3150

Enthusiast
Reaction score

what about using 1 of the hand held inpact socket. Its about 6 inches long and black. Put the proper size socket and you hit it with a rubber malet and it twist as you hit it. Dont know if it would work, but they are cheap

DanAuito

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Meant to say wintergreen not evergreen! For the penetrating oil! Also a little anti-seaze on the threads before re-installation goes a long way into the future!

Qualitywires.com

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score

The lug nuts on Vipers seem to get "gummed" up with shavings from the previous installation of the wheel which can cause them to seize on the stud itself. I have had many go bad and had to use a impact to break them off. I ended up replacing the studs which is an easy job. When yo put them on I woul recommend making sure the studs are clean of metal debris and also make sure there is not any oil on it since that will effect the nut while toquing it down.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ctrengine