best way to avoid skip shift?

02 Graphite GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
When I first got my Viper, I thought about getting one of the skip shift eliminators....but it didn't take long to realize that all you have to do is give it a little more gas while in first gear and it's no longer an issue.

(although with the price of GAS these days...it might be cheaper to buy one of those Skip Shift eliminators :eek: :D )

kcobean

Enthusiast
Reaction score
That's interesting....it SAYS that it includes the plug for the tranny receptacle, but doesn't show it. If it does include both, that's a good price.

I have one on my car. Very simple to install, and while you won't "use" it often, on the times when you do shift while the shift light is on, it's great not to get kicked over into 4th gear. That's just irritating.

viperdude118

Viper Owner
Reaction score
The only time this has been a real problem for me is when making a left turn at an intersection where there is a car in front of you making a left, making it impossible to give more gas. I will just leave in 1st gear throughout the entire turn and once the revs are high enough then shift to second. The couple of times when I shifted early and went to 4th sucked and now it won't happen again.

ruckdr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
What year is your Viper? You may not need to use the device, just unplug and tape the ends to seal against crud.
I'm not sure what years will set a code, but mine has been unplugged for 6 years, and no problems. (1996 RT/10)
The "How To" , Skipshift Disable, gives instructions on how to disable.
It appears that price is good if you need the device.

Later

Johann

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Disconnect the plug from the skipshift solenoid and place a 1/2 watt 2200 ohm resistor (Radio Shack 10 cents) across the two terminals. Tape it in place, enclose in a plastic bag and you're done.

This will disable the skipshift and prevent error codes but won't shut off the arrow on the dash.

kcobean

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Disconnect the plug from the skipshift solenoid and place a 1/2 watt 2200 ohm resistor (Radio Shack 10 cents) across the two terminals. Tape it in place, enclose in a plastic bag and you're done.

This will disable the skipshift and prevent error codes but won't shut off the arrow on the dash.

I've heard of people doing this. To me, $20 isn't too much to spend to have a fitted, sealed connector and plug in place. You never have to wonder if the bag is torn or leaking, the zip-tie broken, the solder joints breaking, etc.

And hey, it's a Viper, not a civic! No duct tape allowed. ;)

kcobean

Enthusiast
Reaction score
What exactly does the shift light mean? I have seen mine come on but nothing ever happened?

If the shift arrow is lit, it means that the skip-shift solenoid in the tranny is engaged, effectively locking out 2nd gear. It only comes on in first gear at partial throttle and below a certain RPM, so if you try to shift into 2nd, the gate for 2nd is closed and you'll drop into 4th instead. If you can shift into 2nd when the arrow is lit, then your car's solenoid is disconnected and or the bypass harness/plug are installed. Next time you have 'er up on jacks/lift, check the left (drivers) side of the tranny near the top. You'll see the plug, and probably the disconnected harness up there.

SYNFULL

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I installed mine last week after it was sitting around in my garage for awhile and it doesn't work! I can't imagine that I installed it in the wrong plug as I lost the directions- but from under the car I had to reach up to the drivers side of the trans- unlug the plug that was in there and put the shift eliminator in, and replug the wire that was in there back in. I did see some other connectors but they were kind of hard to get to- and this fit right in.

Gary

kcobean

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I installed mine last week after it was sitting around in my garage for awhile and it doesn't work! I can't imagine that I installed it in the wrong plug as I lost the directions- but from under the car I had to reach up to the drivers side of the trans- unlug the plug that was in there and put the shift eliminator in, and replug the wire that was in there back in. I did see some other connectors but they were kind of hard to get to- and this fit right in.

Gary

When you say it doesn't work, do you mean that the skip light still comes on, or does it actually still lock out 2nd gear when the light is on? Because the light will still come on since that's not controlled by the solenoid you're disconnecting, but 2nd gear will no longer be locked out. If 2nd gear is still being locked out, you've done something wrong because you've still got power to the solenoid, which you wouldn't have with the bypass installed.

CROM

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I really hated getting thrown into 4th poking around a parking area, pulling slowly out into traffic or any other slow acceleration situation. It worried me a few times when I pulled out only to be thrown into 4th and having no umph for a few split seconds. Someone almost hit me because of that. I could avoid those situations by keeping the revs up a little higher before I shift, but some situations just get you...or you haven't driven the car for a while and you forget.

So when I got my current car it was one of the first things on my list. I purchasd mine from that same seller above I believe. It was 20 bucks or so and works fine.

SYNFULL

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yes, the shift light still comes on, and if i shift when with the light still on I still go into fourth gear. Really strange.
Gary

jcaspar1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yes, the shift light still comes on, and if i shift when with the light still on I still go into fourth gear. Really strange.
Gary

I think there is another connector on the tranny for a reverse lockout or something. You probably pluged it into that.

I think I have hit the skip shifter twice in the 6 years I have had the car. It is hard to shift at that low of an rpm to engage it, even if I try.

kcobean

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I found this at the Viper Store. I have not purchased it but besides price I wonder how this differs from the on ebay.

The only difference is the ridiculous Viper tax that they are applying to it. Otherwise, they are absolutely identical.

kcobean

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Gary

I think there is another connector on the tranny for a reverse lockout or something. You probably pluged it into that.

I think I have hit the skip shifter twice in the 6 years I have had the car. It is hard to shift at that low of an rpm to engage it, even if I try.

I think he's right. If your reverse lockout solenoid is disabled, you could be flirting with disaster, or you have no reverse right now, depending on whether activating the solenoid enables or disables the reverse lockout, I'm not sure which it is.

If your car is still locking out 2nd gear, the skip shift solenoid is clearly still connected. Are you sure you've got the correct "left side" of the tranny? ;)

GTS Bruce

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have only had it happen a few times.1-2 is blocked only below 1800 rpm.What works when 2nd is blocked is stick the shift lever into 4th,5th,6th(3rd works on my car also) and DO NOT engage the clutch.A downshift is not blocked so you just stick it right back into 2nd and engage clutch.Works every time and only takes a split second longer. GTS Bruce

Tom F&L GoR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It's more complicated than that.

The "lever, skip shift" (#175 if you have the T56 manual) is a slotted guide that connects the 1 to 4 position only. As long as the solenoid is engaged, those are the only two gears available.

If you move from 1 to 2, are blocked, and go to 4 you should be held in 4 (or go back to 1) until the solenoid disengages. If you get to 5 or 6 you have either passed through the window of when to solenoid works or overpowered the solenoid.

In my original '94 T56, this part was removable and as soon as I find it again, I'll take pictures. Without this "guide" you could leave the solenoid in place, allow it to function (no $25 plug) and not be forced to "skip shift". In a parts transmission from a newer car, it was integrated with something else and could not be removed.

Tom F&L GoR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
This is the "skip shift lever."

You must be registered for see images attach

It is pinned to the shifter rail that controls 1-2 and 3-4. The shifter rail (a long rod with the shift forks hanging off it) runs fore and aft in the transmission above the gears and below the shifter handle mechanism. When the solenoid engages (it's mounted on the side of the transmission) the solenoid finger is in the slot. The shifter rail is then limited to fore and aft and rotation to connect 1 and 4 only; without overpowering the solenoid you can't get to 5, 6, 2, or 3.

It escapes me now, but on the newer T56 this part was combined with another shift detent or something...

Leslie

Enthusiast
Reaction score

CAGS is on the vettes too, most of the drivers use the radio shack resister also.

I eliminated my CAGS when they did the tune/edit to my Z06

SYNFULL

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well my reverse does work but maybe I disabled the lockout. I slid under the car at the drivers side rear and reached into the tunnel and disconnected the closest connector on the transmission at the drivers side rear.

Thanks
Gary

AZTVR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well my reverse does work but maybe I disabled the lockout. I slid under the car at the drivers side rear and reached into the tunnel and disconnected the closest connector on the transmission at the drivers side rear.

The most rearward and higher connector would be the reverse lockout, while the one closer to the fill plug is the skip shift solenoid connection. ( http://www.viperclub.org/menus/index_how_illup.htm )