Best year for the GTS???

fdjake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I currently own a 1995 RT/10 in Emerald Green (50K miles). The car runs PERFECT and has been completely bullet proof. I live in the Northeast and a GTS would allow me an extended driving season. I have heard of some GTS's having pourous engine blocks. I want a Viper that is going to be as reliable as my RT/10 has been.

Are there any years in particular that are better when it comes to GTS VIPERS????

PS...Anyone with a GTS looking to trade for my RT/10 (plus me throwing in some cash) send me a PM!!

Last edited:

Camfab

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm sure you'll get a bunch of opinions so I'll give you mine as well. If your looking for a daily driver type car that's going to give you the longest possible service life, then the later model cars should probably be your best choice. 2000 + cars came with Eutectic pistons and longer rods. This combo should in theory give you a longer service life due to tighter clearances and lighter piston and rod packaging. Some 2001 cars had bad water pump impellers, but most of those should have been weeded through by now. In the end though, I'm pretty sure that any of the GTS's will do you just fine. Color selection, a desire or non desire of ABS etc. may be your final decision making platform. Additionally, most likely the key important element for reliability is how the previous owner took care of his or her car.

FrankBarba

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Are there any years in particular that are better when it comes to GTS VIPERS????

PS...Anyone with a GTS looking to trade for my RT/10 (plus me throwing in some cash) send me a PM!!

I might be interested in this. I miss my 95 RT. I currenlty own a 96 GTS with high mileage (8K). What do you think you would need in cash to make a trade like this happen ?

OP
OP
F

fdjake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I read that Chrysler was replacing some GTS motors under warranty years ago due to pourus engine BLOCK castings leading to leaks. There's actually a GTS on ebay right now that had the motor replaced under this warranty issue. It was the first time I had ever heard of this and figured I'd ask the experts (you guy's!!) It could be BS....I don't know. But i sure knew where to go for the real story. (I love this club!!!) GREAT PEOPLE HERE!!!

Also....Do you guys know of any head gasket problems with GTS years???

Last edited:

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
Dave, I had heard several rumors about a few 1996 GTS's with "pourous blocks" stated to be one the several causes of the oil leaks(others included rear main, oil pan, cam plug, timing chain cover gasket, etc.) initially seen on some of 1996 Gen II's.

It wasn't until a friend's 1996 GTS was finally sent to Arrow Racing for a perstatant oil leak that a firm diagnosis was made by the folks at Arrow... "pourous block".

They fixed his car with a new block (01-02 vintage), cast pistons, etc. as the early Gen II engines were no longer available... since he had tried to live with this situation for 5+ years. Supposedly, there were only a few of these blocks...reputed to be in a narrow "serial number" range.

Others may wish to offer a more accurate explanation.

OP
OP
F

fdjake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
What year did they stop using forged pistons???

Bill Pemberton Woodhouse

VCA Member
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
The best year is very subjective, but if it comes down to a resale issue, the best years, long term ,may be 96 and 97 with the blue/white color scheme. Obviously this was the only choice in 96, but in 97 red was offered and it will bring quite a bit less coin than the traditional GTS Blue with white stripes.

Other years have their advantages too, with 2001 and 2002 being the only years with ABS, and getting caught in the somewhat hilarious debate over hypereutetic pistons can drag you down the garden path. The fastest Gen II dragstrip time , ever recorded , was with a 2000 RT-10 at Englishtown, with those cream puff pistons. The funny thing is folks later kept touting forged pistons as the way to go, just in case you may want to supercharge the car, and over the years the 99 became a more desirable year than when produced . Folks forgot all the rumors of a PCM change, more weight and other issues concerning the 99 , which supposedly made it the slowest of the Vipers so far. In 2000 the folks entering CAAP for tours were told of the new motor, the increase in horsepower ( not shown on paper of course ) , and Viper Days even added points to the Matrix as they felt the 2000 would have an unfair advantage over previous year models. After getting wind of this , Chrysler slam dunked Viper Days on getting funds unless they got rid of the point on the classification matrix, and workers at CAAP were instructed to no longer discuss hp gains.

Within a year or more many kept touting forged pistons as the way to go to Supercharge, even though very few were doing it, and with other supposed claims perception became reality and the 99 became a darling instead of living under the cloud it was born under. The cast pistons became cream puffs, and no one seemed to remember that the cars were quick, or that Porsche and Corvette used the same methodology on their cars.

Kinda of fun to live during periods when automotive lore and legend was being made, and when all the cards are on the table , it is pretty humorous how things became real in the end.

Other cars to contemplate would be rare colors or low production colors, and the GTS will command more money than the RT-10s. Not trying to play favorites, just listing reality. A 98 GTSR will bring crazy money, but one should likely look towards the more reasonable models , and the best advice is to get one that has had great care, preferably low miles, and depending on the year , may still be available through a Dealer for a service contract.:2tu:

Best of Luck,

Bill Pemberton
Woodhouse

99 R/T 10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The best year is very subjective, but if it comes down to a resale issue, the best years, long term ,may be 96 and 97 with the blue/white color scheme. Obviously this was the only choice in 96, but in 97 red was offered and it will bring quite a bit less coin than the traditional GTS Blue with white stripes.

Other years have their advantages too, with 2001 and 2002 being the only years with ABS, and getting caught in the somewhat hilarious debate over hypereutetic pistons can drag you down the garden path. The fastest Gen II dragstrip time , ever recorded , was with a 2000 RT-10 at Englishtown, with those cream puff pistons. The funny thing is folks later kept touting forged pistons as the way to go, just in case you may want to supercharge the car, and over the years the 99 became a more desirable year than when produced . Folks forgot all the rumors of a PCM change, more weight and other issues concerning the 99 , which supposedly made it the slowest of the Vipers so far. In 2000 the folks entering CAAP for tours were told of the new motor, the increase in horsepower ( not shown on paper of course ) , and Viper Days even added points to the Matrix as they felt the 2000 would have an unfair advantage over previous year models. After getting wind of this , Chrysler slam dunked Viper Days on getting funds unless they got rid of the point on the classification matrix, and workers at CAAP were instructed to no longer discuss hp gains.

Within a year or more many kept touting forged pistons as the way to go to Supercharge, even though very few were doing it, and with other supposed claims perception became reality and the 99 became a darling instead of living under the cloud it was born under. The cast pistons became cream puffs, and no one seemed to remember that the cars were quick, or that Porsche and Corvette used the same methodology on their cars.

Kinda of fun to live during periods when automotive lore and legend was being made, and when all the cards are on the table , it is pretty humorous how things became real in the end.

Other cars to contemplate would be rare colors or low production colors, and the GTS will command more money than the RT-10s. Not trying to play favorites, just listing reality. A 98 GTSR will bring crazy money, but one should likely look towards the more reasonable models , and the best advice is to get one that has had great care, preferably low miles, and depending on the year , may still be available through a Dealer for a service contract.:2tu:

Best of Luck,

Bill Pemberton
Woodhouse

Great write-up Bill. Although I fell into the 1999 belief, I did end up S/C and then added NOS to my setup. Love it and never looked back. If I had the ability, the 98 GTSR is the way to go :2tu:

HorusRa

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Personnalyy I own a 2000 GTS ACR and I think she's great. I just had B-B headers put on last week along with Cat modifications and Corsa exhaust, this thing now is a monster, I love the sound and about 30 more HP...

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Best of Luck,

Bill Pemberton
Woodhouse

Good writeup Bill. I remember those days well and partook in many runs against the creampuffs. They were all just as fast as any Viper previous. They were however, smoother running which is what I always attributed the "creampuff" moniker towards.

Bill Pemberton Woodhouse

VCA Member
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Had a 98 GTS, then a 2000 Scream Puff ----- belangers and more and all was good in the World.

I still think the best adage about what the best Viper to have is .........is the one in your garage!

Alexarz

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I kicked the **** out of a C6Z06 with my 2000 GTS. Those lightweight pistons sure laid pipe.

Last edited:

TAXIMAN1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I had a 2000 Black/Silver stripes... It was a fabulous car, should have kept it to be honest.... Took me a long time to find the right one of these, in this color.

I think 01-02 are probably the best years. What do you need forged internals for, unless your doing a TT. And I prefer some of the 01-02 colors, over the B&W..

Bumble Bee,Graphite/Silver,Sapphire/Silver,Final Edition. These are all classic colors in 01-02's. And of course Black/Silver is classic, but you'd have to settle for a 99-2000.. Which is an otherwise great car, if you dont need the ABS.

By 01-02 they had building this car down to a science. Every body line and panel was perfect.. The 2001 water pump issue is a non-issue...Ive had 3 2001's.... All ran flawless... There was 1 or 2 issues with 2001 waterpumps. Somehow this got blown up, into ALL 2001's had potential waterpump problems, which is just NOT the case.. I talked to Chuck about this.. Very rare occurence.

Dom426h

Enthusiast
Reaction score
FINALY a thread where we give props to the Creampuff!!!!!

However, as far as i know, the smooth running creampuff has nothing to do with the pistons and Everything to do with the CAM.
Diff being 66deg of overlap for the 96-99 "708cam"
and 60deg for the 00-02 Cam

I think My ideal Viper would have the 00-02 Hypereutectic Pistons with the 96-99 "lumpy" 708Cam:2tu:

Alexarz

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Lets not forget that the hypereutic pistons are lighter than forged pistons, thus they rev faster. My GTS runs like a ***** ape and all it has is a Corsa exhaust. It would beat my SRT in a straight line, although my SRT has also consumed a C6Z06.

Fatboy 18

Enthusiast
Reaction score
This subject is getting good :), It might be slightly off topic but WITHOUT changing the pistons, rods, Starting from stock, What performance upgrades are there for a Cream Puff (engine/exhaust etc)

Mark :uk:

Silver Hood Vents?

Green Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The only thing I might add to the great write up by Bill is that there were options that were added as the years went on up until 2002.

For instance: from my memory...
1998 you got the ability to disable the passenger air bag, great if you plan to give rides to young adults.
1999 you got power mirrors and the remote hatchback release
2000 you get those new fangled pistons and a slightly different camshaft
2001 you got Antilock brakes (ABS)
2002 was the final year for the GTS, they were commerated with the Final Edition, 360 cars, red with White.

At several of the dyno days in Washington we have seen the "cream puffs" weaker for the first 2000 miles or so but pull almost identical numbers thereafter, after break in is complete, so as far as performance, I would consider them all about equal until the modifications begin. :)

If anyone is interested in adding ABS to a pre-2001 GTS I have many extra parts... LOL.

OKViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've had both - a black/silver '99 and now a Bumblebee '02 - they are both great. The body lines are better on my '02 and the ABS is great on tight AutoX and 'dirty' street driving. My BB is blown and does mid 11's with 550RWHP - so no piston issues at this power level.

I think ABS is more important than forged pistons and newer is better to me...

Dom426h

Enthusiast
Reaction score
This subject is getting good :), It might be slightly off topic but WITHOUT changing the pistons, rods, Starting from stock, What performance upgrades are there for a Cream Puff (engine/exhaust etc)

Mark :uk:

Silver Hood Vents?

Basically Everything BUT a TT:
-smoothtubes/filters,
-Cam, (708 or aftermarket)
-Heads,
-RollerRockers,
-EngineManagement/Tune,
-Roe/Paxton Supercharger

okloneranger

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Has anyone ever heard anybody say "That year Viper is bad":omg: or "that model Viper is terrible":mad:? I haven't, although you'll read various "experts" comments in different car magazines say they don't like this, or they don't like that about a Viper. It's almost always not "refined enough" (ie no traction control) or they don't like the lack of cruise control that they complain about. They haven't "learned the car" handeling wise, and or they prejudged Viper to be something it's not. It is what it is, and it's just not for everyone.:2tu:

93 Cobra R

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My top 5 choices:

1. 2002 Final Edition ACR - 34 built
2. 2002 ACR - 159 built
3. 1999 ACR - 215 built
4. 2002 Final Edition - 360 built
5. 1998 GT2 - 100 built (#5 to me because of blue interior)

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang