Best year for the GTS???

99VPRGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've had both - a black/silver '99 and now a Bumblebee '02 - they are both great. The body lines are better on my '02 and the ABS is great on tight AutoX and 'dirty' street driving. My BB is blown and does mid 11's with 550RWHP - so no piston issues at this power level.

I think ABS is more important than forged pistons and newer is better to me...

One thing to remember though, a car without ABS has the ability to turn a better time than one using ABS. It just depends on the skill level of the driver ;) This is part of the reason why the Viper didn't get ABS until 2001...the car was designed to run around a track and thus didn't need ABS!

As for the thread starter, it really all depends on your long term goals with the car. If F.I. are definately NOT in any of your plans, then get a year that you like best! Personally I would go with an 01 or 02 because of the ABS unless you desire the most rare color combo in the B/W 96-97 cars. If you desire to go F.I. then you would be better off getting a 96-99. I know that someone earlier in this thread said that a 00-02 car could handle a supercharger, well, I strongly disagree. If you are going supercharger, TT, or nitrous, then get a 96-99, it will be a lot safer and less risk of blowing your motor. There are people with 900RWHP on the stock short block for these years with no problems!

EDIT: One more thing, there are a couple reasons why people criticize the 2000 models, and here are a few. This was the first year of the car without the forged engines. This car also did not come with ABS...that didn't happen until 2001. 1999 was the last year of the more agressive cam as well. It didn't mean the car was faster stock, but with boltons they tend to make a little more power (especially the 1999). The 2000 got a much more tame cam and you didn't have that throaty agressive sound as much(car still sounds good, but again, just giving you the reasons) which most people prefer at WOT.

Now, with all that said, I am in no way saying that the 2000 is not just as badass car as the rest, I'm just providing you with the facts! Hope this helps! Good luck with your purchase.

-Brent

Last edited:

99 R/T 10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My top 5 choices:

1. 2002 Final Edition ACR - 34 built
2. 2002 ACR - 159 built
3. 1999 ACR - 215 built
4. 2002 Final Edition - 360 built
5. 1998 GT2 - 100 built (#5 to me because of blue interior)

Not fair,
you have a combination of #1, #2 and #4......................................:omg::omg::omg:

:D:D:D

Vman455

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Personally I would go with an 01 or 02 because of the ABS unless you desire the most rare color combo in the B/W 96-97 cars.

Ummm...correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't there more B/W GTS's (2128--even beats out red GTS's, striped and unstriped, at 1921) than any other color combination? They aren't worth more because the color is rare, but because it's iconic....

PhoenixGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
1998 Silver no stripes. Why, that's the one I just bought... :D
Since I have a 1998 solid silver I like this post ALOT, but honestly, given the newer interior door handle design, interior hatch release, and 18" wheels in case you stay stock, I have to vote for 1999 as being the sweet year for the GTS.

99VPRGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ummm...correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't there more B/W GTS's (2128--even beats out red GTS's, striped and unstriped, at 1921) than any other color combination? They aren't worth more because the color is rare, but because it's iconic....

Why would you be wrong? You obviously looked up the registry and did some math! Don't doubt yourself! ;)

Vman is exactly right, I always get that part mixed up...but not only is it iconic, it's the best color combo ever for the GTS. IMHO :)

RTTTTed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
some of the early GTS and R/Ts had recalls for bracing and weld re-dos. Steering and rear diff needed to be gussetted as they could break some low quality/inferior welds on steering and rear suspension mounts. Simple process to go online and check that all YOUR Viper's safety reacalls have been done. Official Dodge Site - New Autos, Trucks, Minivans, SUVs, Cars, Wagons and follow links.

96, 97 Blue/white is probably the most desired color, but there it is not low production. Deep sapphire cars, some silver and White/Blue are more rare. The cream puffs are fine for supercharging - as the forged pistons installed in my '01 are Ross 9-1s and early Gen 2s were 9.5-1 compression. The crean puffs were 10.2 -1 I understood which is why they're not good for much boost.

All Vipers are great. One comment said to buy a newer Gen of Viper, The coupes were built again in 2006 and the newer cars are more "user friendly" after removal of the runcrap tires. Newer Vipers have the driveline mounted an inch lower in the chassis, the aerodynamics are slightly better (coupes). The Gen 3 and newer brakes are 14" and that's why many Gen 2 owners have changed over to the Gen 3 breaks (or better) and many use lightweight components.

Each and every Viper is perfect in it's own way.

I choose a Gen 2 and made it faster, more comfortable, lighterand better looking than new (at least to me).

Ted

Ted

PDCjonny

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You guys are mixing up low production numbers with desirability.
Going by the production numbers, my Red '98 is much more valuable than a Blue White as they only made 300+ Red GTS in '98.
Guess again.

Last edited by a moderator:

Vman455

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Why would you be wrong? You obviously looked up the registry and did some math! Don't doubt yourself! ;)

Vman is exactly right, I always get that part mixed up...but not only is it iconic, it's the best color combo ever for the GTS. IMHO :)

Being in academia has taught me two things:

1. Always be deferential.
2. Never assume information from a single source is credible.

So, what I should have said is, "According to the International Viper Registry...". And I partially agree--it is the second best color combo ever for the GTS (after red/white, of course!).

RTTTTed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
There was a ton of Red Vipers made. It's like saying that any Z28 is rare.

My Red 98 GTS$ didn't cost me extra.

My Sapphire is one of less than 37 and I only paid extra for the extensive modifications. ABS and Eradispeed were free?

Ted

99VPRGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Being in academia has taught me two things:

1. Always be deferential.
2. Never assume information from a single source is credible.

So, what I should have said is, "According to the International Viper Registry...". And I partially agree--it is the second best color combo ever for the GTS (after red/white, of course!).

Haha, I was just messin. I seriously get checked all the time on that...I don't know why I keep mixing the two up!

OKViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
One thing to remember though, a car without ABS has the ability to turn a better time than one using ABS. It just depends on the skill level of the driver ;) This is part of the reason why the Viper didn't get ABS until 2001...the car was designed to run around a track and thus didn't need ABS!

As for the thread starter, it really all depends on your long term goals with the car. If F.I. are definately NOT in any of your plans, then get a year that you like best! Personally I would go with an 01 or 02 because of the ABS unless you desire the most rare color combo in the B/W 96-97 cars. If you desire to go F.I. then you would be better off getting a 96-99. I know that someone earlier in this thread said that a 00-02 car could handle a supercharger, well, I strongly disagree. If you are going supercharger, TT, or nitrous, then get a 96-99, it will be a lot safer and less risk of blowing your motor. There are people with 900RWHP on the stock short block for these years with no problems!

EDIT: One more thing, there are a couple reasons why people criticize the 2000 models, and here are a few. This was the first year of the car without the forged engines. This car also did not come with ABS...that didn't happen until 2001. 1999 was the last year of the more agressive cam as well. It didn't mean the car was faster stock, but with boltons they tend to make a little more power (especially the 1999). The 2000 got a much more tame cam and you didn't have that throaty agressive sound as much(car still sounds good, but again, just giving you the reasons) which most people prefer at WOT.

Now, with all that said, I am in no way saying that the 2000 is not just as badass car as the rest, I'm just providing you with the facts! Hope this helps! Good luck with your purchase.

-Brent

I'll make sure that A.R.T. knows that you 'strongly disagree' with a supercharged 2002 GTS...They'll be glad to get your update. Oh, and I'll let my car know...

Also, check your "facts" on your 'most rare color' 96-97 B/W GTS color combos -Newsflash: it isn't a rare color combo at all...

Also, I said ABS was good for AutoX because they aren't usually held on clean, well taken care of pavement like a true track (most autoX's are dirty/sandy or in a converted parking lot) that is not where a non-ABS car can shine with your 'better driver';)

But, hey Brent, thanks for your expertise!

Lee

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ever consider a '98 GTS Red with silver stripes? Only eleven made

Unfortunately, mine is not one of the original 11 but it looks just as good!

99VPRGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'll make sure that A.R.T. knows that you 'strongly disagree' with a supercharged 2002 GTS...They'll be glad to get your update. Oh, and I'll let my car know...

Also, check your "facts" on your 'most rare color' 96-97 B/W GTS color combos -Newsflash: it isn't a rare color combo at all...

Also, I said ABS was good for AutoX because they aren't usually held on clean, well taken care of pavement like a true track (most autoX's are dirty/sandy or in a converted parking lot) that is not where a non-ABS car can shine with your 'better driver';)

But, hey Brent, thanks for your expertise!

Funny...I'll bet you have never turned a wrench on your own car have you?

Second, like the other guy said, learn to read a little before posting, the color scheme was already covered and I admitted twice that I get it mixed up. So you missed it three times total. NICE!

Third, had you mentioned your reasoning for your sandy autocross tracks, your ABS thing would have made more sense. I live in FL and have yet to come across a true sandy track. Maybe you can post a link up?

Fourth, yeah, a better driver always makes a big difference. Take your car for instance, making 550RWHP and in the mid 11's? I had a 2000 C5 Convertible with 396RWHP and 388RWTQ N/A with the stock 6-speed and stock 3.42 gears go 11.7@119. So, there was some reasoning behind why I brought the driver's skill into it. You obviously need some practice.

Lastly, wow dude, your running a whopping 550HP with your supercharger, is it even on? My car N/A does that. Go ask ART if it would be safe to run, say, 10 PSI (more than likely double what you are currently runnning) in the car and around 700ish RWHP with that 10.2:1 compression stock unforged motor. What do you think they would say? You are right if you want to keep the boost that low, the motor will hold (this is NOT a guarantee though!!). However, you are in the vast minority because most people that F.I. their Vipers aren't going to set the boost on the Sunday drive level:lmao:

BTW, don't get so sensitive dude, it's just a forum not life. :) Turn the boost up on your car and have some fun becuase it should be safe right?

EDIT: If you are ever in the area, bring your supercharged GTS over...I'd love to show you my N/A car's tailights :D

Last edited:

OKViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Funny...I'll bet you have never turned a wrench on your own car have you?

Second, like the other guy said, learn to read a little before posting, the color scheme was already covered and I admitted twice that I get it mixed up. So you missed it three times total. NICE!

Third, had you mentioned your reasoning for your sandy autocross tracks, your ABS thing would have made more sense. I live in FL and have yet to come across a true sandy track. Maybe you can post a link up?

Fourth, yeah, a better driver always makes a big difference. Take your car for instance, making 550RWHP and in the mid 11's? I had a 2000 C5 Convertible with 396RWHP and 388RWTQ N/A with the stock 6-speed and stock 3.42 gears go 11.7@119. So, there was some reasoning behind why I brought the driver's skill into it. You obviously need some practice.

Lastly, wow dude, your running a whopping 550HP with your supercharger, is it even on? My car N/A does that. Go ask ART if it would be safe to run, say, 10 PSI (more than likely double what you are currently runnning) in the car and around 700ish RWHP with that 10.2:1 compression stock unforged motor. What do you think they would say? You are right if you want to keep the boost that low, the motor will hold (this is NOT a guarantee though!!). However, you are in the vast minority because most people that F.I. their Vipers aren't going to set the boost on the Sunday drive level:lmao:

BTW, don't get so sensitive dude, it's just a forum not life. :) Turn the boost up on your car and have some fun becuase it should be safe right?

EDIT: If you are ever in the area, bring your supercharged GTS over...I'd love to show you my N/A car's tailights :D

You, Brent are a tool.

That was the lamest 'comeback' post I've ever read.

You brought your NOOB self over to this forum, misquoted things and got slapped.

Your comeback is to make fun of my car and me as a driver? That is so weak.

FAIL.

Last edited:

99VPRGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Lame? No dude, whats lame is thats all you said in your rebutle, and steered away from everything I said except one part. That is lame! Lets recap on what you DODGED from my previous posts okay cupcake?:lmao:

1. Got no rebutle to the question of you ever working on a Viper. Who would the noob be? I can tear this car down to the last bolt, can you?

2. Got no rebutle about your rediculous comment about sandy tracks..which again backs up my statement that ABS helps a novice driver, like yourself, not total their Viper at the road course.

3. Please show me what I misquoted. I made a false statement, the other guy called me out on it, I said oops I always mess up that part, then we joked about it and it was all good. You with all your intelligence, come in and talk about it again DAYS after it had already come and gone.

4. My comeback is a whole lot more than your car or your driving skills. Go back and re-read my previous post and then re-read reasons 1,2, and 3. You are way too easy dude, I'm done with you.

5. BTW don't let my post count fool you. Doesn't mean **** dude, I can promise you I know more about your car mechanically than you do...

6. Again, don't get so sensitive! It's just a forum. Accept the fact that you really don't know what you are saying and move on!

7. I numbered all of this so it would be easier for you to comprehend, since that seems to be a problem as well.:D

OKViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Lame? No dude, whats lame is thats all you said in your rebutle, and steered away from everything I said except one part. That is lame! Lets recap on what you DODGED from my previous posts okay cupcake?:lmao:

1. Got no rebutle to the question of you ever working on a Viper. Who would the noob be? I can tear this car down to the last bolt, can you?

2. Got no rebutle about your rediculous comment about sandy tracks..which again backs up my statement that ABS helps a novice driver, like yourself, not total their Viper at the road course.

3. Please show me what I misquoted. I made a false statement, the other guy called me out on it, I said oops I always mess up that part, then we joked about it and it was all good. You with all your intelligence, come in and talk about it again DAYS after it had already come and gone.

4. My comeback is a whole lot more than your car or your driving skills. Go back and re-read my previous post and then re-read reasons 1,2, and 3. You are way too easy dude, I'm done with you.

5. BTW don't let my post count fool you. Doesn't mean **** dude, I can promise you I know more about your car mechanically than you do...

6. Again, don't get so sensitive! It's just a forum. Accept the fact that you really don't know what you are saying and move on!

7. I numbered all of this so it would be easier for you to comprehend, since that seems to be a problem as well.:D

You don't get it. Your ******* are in a *** and I can almost hear your tears hitting the keyboard. I can just see you frantically typing and sweating thinking "I'll show him!"

You are so basic. You are trying to attack me through your computer by calling my 'Cupcake?' (which at 6'2"/225 you would never do in person, btw) and failing. You are falling apart with your desperation to be 'cool'. I am not here to give you a 'rebutle' because I don't need to. Everyone here knows posters like you - hothead fools that call other people names and stray away from the original post in order to show everyone how much of a keyboard 'tough guy' you are. Your parents must be so proud.

How embarrassing for you - that is why I keep quoting your posts. Eventually you will make a name for yourself here as a clown and people will be able to read about the type of person you are...

Good luck with that.:2tu:

Back to the original posters question - I still think the '01-'02 are overall better. I've had a '99 and an '02 and that is my experience. The ABS and fit/finish outweighs the forged pistons for me. I also love the Bumblebee and that leans it more to the ABS cars...

2002 GTS:
You must be registered for see images attach

1999 GTS:

Oh, and I had a 418 Stroker Vette - so enough with your sub400 horse Corvette crap...

Oh, and sorry that my wife is in the last two pictures, it's all I have on my work computer...

99VPRGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You don't get it. Your ******* are in a *** and I can almost hear your tears hitting the keyboard. I can just see you frantically typing and sweating thinking "I'll show him!"

You are so basic. You are trying to attack me through your computer by calling my 'Cupcake?' (which at 6'2"/225 you would never do in person, btw) and failing. You are falling apart with your desperation to be 'cool'. I am not here to give you a 'rebutle' because I don't need to. Everyone here knows posters like you - hothead fools that call other people names and stray away from the original post in order to show everyone how much of a keyboard 'tough guy' you are. Your parents must be so proud.

How embarrassing for you - that is why I keep quoting your posts. Eventually you will make a name for yourself here as a clown and people will be able to read about the type of person you are...

Good luck with that.:2tu:

Back to the original posters question - I still think the '01-'02 are overall better. I've had a '99 and an '02 and that is my experience. The ABS and fit/finish outweighs the forged pistons for me. I also love the Bumblebee and that leans it more to the ABS cars...

2002 GTS:

1999 GTS:

Oh, and I had a 418 Stroker Vette - so enough with your sub400 horse Corvette crap...

Oh, and sorry that my wife is in the last two pictures, it's all I have on my work computer...

LOL look guy, I am far from emotional on this board. It's obvious that with your responses, you can't answer anything that I have asked because you type a bunch of rhetoric.

BTW, with you throwing your measurements out there, aren't you the one getting upset? Look dude, I don't want to fight with anyone on this board. You don't know anything about me. You are bigger than me though :D. I only am 6'00" 195...but anyone that knows anything, knows that size really doesn't mean ****...it's more about knowledge. The last 5+ years, I have been training in a couple of things that would lead me to believe that I could more than take care of myself againt 99.99% of anyone I encounter. However, fighting is a bunch of crap and only a last resort! But rest assured, I am not and would not be afraid of you! Again, you don't know anything about me dude so lets keep this friendly okay?

I apologize if I have pissed you off. I like to have fun and go back and forth sometimes. consider it squashed on me end!:)

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang