blown motor - what do I do now?

RTTTTed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Congratulations, looks like you got a hell of a deal!

If you plan to do any engine work 9-1 pistons would be helpful for 10# boost and Nitrous.

Ted

Unclestu

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Is there a way to check the exhaust system. Some of the loose metal was probably blown out the exhaust.

OP
OP
B

BOTTLEFED

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well the old motor is out
I cleaned up the engine bay today

You must be registered for see images attach

and then this showed up :D

another surprise - T&D 1.7 rockers!:headbang:

I guess the shipper didn't know that these were an aftermarket part because it wasn't in the ebay ad

OP
OP
B

BOTTLEFED

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks to Carl (Viper Fever) for all his help. As a fellow VCA member, he has helped me with this project along the way, received the motor at his business, brought the crate over tonight, and stayed to help get it unloaded and into my garage.
His help made for a painless shipment of my new engine.
:thankyou:
Thanks Carl!

RTTTTed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
possibly because he didn't pull the valve covers? or maybe he didn't want anyone to know it had been 'hopped up'?

Ted

OP
OP
B

BOTTLEFED

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Actually I bought it from an experienced recycler who did see the rockers, they just thought they were stock for a Viper.

big-n-italian

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Actually I bought it from an experienced recycler who did see the rockers, they just thought they were stock for a Viper.

ok, i have a stupid question. arent ALL the rockers suppose to be the same color? why are the ones on the back of the motor a different color? is this typical? it looks odd. does one end of the motor run cooler than the other? does one one of the motor get more oil than the other? the back rockers look dirty, while the front rockers look clean. ????

sorry, it looks like i asked more than one question. :D

ViperTony

Enthusiast
Reaction score
ok, i have a stupid question. arent ALL the rockers suppose to be the same color? why are the ones on the back of the motor a different color? is this typical? it looks odd. does one end of the motor run cooler than the other? does one one of the motor get more oil than the other? the back rockers look dirty, while the front rockers look clean. ????

sorry, it looks like i asked more than one question. :D

I noticed the color and cleanliness differences too. At first I thought the color was from the camera flash. You can check the date codes on the rocker arms. Each one is stamped with a code that indicates the month and year they were made. The code is located on the side of the rocker arm. They should all be the same unless some were swapped out for some reason. The rocker stand should be stamped with "V10" and have a model number on it #00910 for GenII Vipers. FYI.

OP
OP
B

BOTTLEFED

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Tony, I'll check for a date
both sides are the same - purple on the front ones and faded towards the back

Viperless

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Did it come with the aluminum flywheel??

IMG_05871.jpg

OP
OP
B

BOTTLEFED

Enthusiast
Reaction score
it came with that flywheel in the pic
is that not stock?

I have a Fidanza on my old motor so I don't know what stock looks like

OP
OP
B

BOTTLEFED

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I noticed the color and cleanliness differences too. At first I thought the color was from the camera flash. You can check the date codes on the rocker arms. Each one is stamped with a code that indicates the month and year they were made. The code is located on the side of the rocker arm. They should all be the same unless some were swapped out for some reason. The rocker stand should be stamped with "V10" and have a model number on it #00910 for GenII Vipers. FYI.
There is a # stamped on the side of each rocker arm.
The ones that look blue have 82602
And the ones that look purple have 091702
All have TD stamped on the top
All have an F also
No V10 stamps or dates

If you notice in the pic, there is 4 blue and 6 purple on one side and the opposite on the other side, 6 blue and 4 purple. So in all, there are a total of 10 blue and 10 purple, just mixed on each side. Any idea what that means? Is it bad?

Also, looking at the rockers, I noticed the springs all have Crower stamped on them. Aftermarket valve springs??

KenH

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Engines due run hotter on on the cylinders near the firewall due to less air flow and the airflow that they do get tends to be preheated by the air passing over the front of the engine and the headers. I don't know if that is normally enough to discolor the anodization on rockers over time though. Since the numbers stamped on them are different, perhaps it is just a batch color difference.

ViperTony

Enthusiast
Reaction score
There is a # stamped on the side of each rocker arm.
The ones that look blue have 82602
And the ones that look purple have 091702
All have TD stamped on the top
All have an F also
No V10 stamps or dates

If you notice in the pic, there is 4 blue and 6 purple on one side and the opposite on the other side, 6 blue and 4 purple. So in all, there are a total of 10 blue and 10 purple, just mixed on each side. Any idea what that means? Is it bad?

Also, looking at the rockers, I noticed the springs all have Crower stamped on them. Aftermarket valve springs??

The V10 and model number are stamped on the metal bar the rockers sit on. That big solid piece that's attached to the head. I don't know how to decipher the date code. I called mine into T&D and they were very helpful. You can ask them about the color differences and if that's normal.

If the engine has updated springs and rockers then I wonder if it had head work done to it?

RTTTTed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
WOW! Most of us wouldn't put springs on thses engines unless we're installing a camshaft. Lighweight flywheel too?

Pull the oilpan and see what's in the bottom (newer Gen 2 oilpan, baffles and swinging pickup?)

Maybe H beam rods and pistons? Better check the pistons for compression ratio before installing that supercharger. N/a engines make more power with higher compression and it'd **** if you put 10# boost to it and blew the pistons again.

Ted

OP
OP
B

BOTTLEFED

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ted, how would I check the pistons for compression ratio?

Tony, do you have a phone# for T&D?
There is V10 stamped on the bar, but what would that mean? I mean, what else could it be for since it is machined for 10 rockers?
I didn't see anything else stamped on the bar.

RTTTTed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Normally the face/top of teh piston will have a part # stamped into it. If you looked at your stock pistons then you know what stockers look like.

I'd pull the pan and check the pan, then check for H beam rods and try to identify the pistons from the bottom. If they're stock you should be able to recognize them. If aftermarket then they may have ID marks under. If they're not stock, pull the heads and check the dome. Gen 2 headgaskets are cheap. You can also measure the valves from the combustion chamber and see if they're stock size or not.

Start with the pan. I think the '01s were the first 10.8 quart pan and the Gen 3s all have swinging baffles? Someone here also sells baffle kits for the pan.

Ted

plumcrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
ya cant just check the pistons for a compression ratio.

need to now if there was head work or if they were ever shaved

RTTTTed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
ya cant just check the pistons for a compression ratio.

need to now if there was head work or if they were ever shaved[/QUOTE)

That's a good point. I wouldn't expect any headwork unless the valves have been changed as (other than machine shops love to take your money) the heads shouldn't be shaved without having a problem in the first place.

But, since you have your stock heads, you should be able to see if any combustion chamber reshaping was done.

Ted

OP
OP
B

BOTTLEFED

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The new motor is in!
with the help of Viper Fever, we got it in the car tonight.
No real problems or broken parts, thank god :smirk:
I'll be doing a compression check on it tomorrow (cross your fingers):D

thanks again Carl!
:2tu:

OP
OP
B

BOTTLEFED

Enthusiast
Reaction score
one other thing

we noticed a machined piece of aluminum under the motor mounts

I haven't seen these in any pics of the motor mounts

is it supposed to be there? :confused:

ViperTony

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Those look like shims. Maybe the previous owner needed to gain clearance for the header collectors going through the frame on either side of the car. Might also have been used to level the engine.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SKY1960