Blue smoke after hard braking and downshifting at track events??

LETHAL GTS

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I seem to be having a problem with large amounts of blue smoke out my exhaust after I have had to brake very hard and heel toe downshift through two gears (3rd to 2nd to 1st)then turn through a hair pin. Then when I step on the go pedal I see a cloud of blue smoke out the back??
I was told from a pro driver that what most likely is happening is all my oil is being pushed to the front of the engine (from the 1+ Gforce from hard braking) and with the down shifting at high RPM the engine is sucking the oil out of the pan past the rings and into the combustion chamber and then when I get on the gas the engine is burning the oil hence the blue smoke. He suggested I change my driving style somewhat (don't start to down shift till my RPMs drop more) to help minimize the vacuum effect my engine has on my oil pan.
It makes sense and I have been able to minimize the smoke coming out of the tail pipe by waiting to begin my down shifts. But the fact that there is still a puff of smoke coming out when I'm ******* the gas down the straight doesn't please me.
I was hoping some of you more experienced road racers could shed some light. It worries me, because 1st I don't like smoke coming out my tail pipe and 2nd my oil pressure drops some when this occurs.
My engine should be far from being worn out. My '00 GTS only has 15,000KM which is less than 10,000 miles. I change and check my oil regular with Castrol Syntech 5W50.
I sure would be greatful if someone could help shed some light or even better yet, help me solve this problem all together. I was also told that it's not really hurting my engine, but I can't see it being good for it either.

PhilC

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have had this exact proble and there was a good discussion about it. Call Dan Craigen at DC performance he knows exactly what it is and how to properly rectify it.

Do a search on my user name PhilC and use "air cleaners" as the search text and use all posts, it should come up.

I wouldn't recommend just doing the k & n breathers as is suggested in the thread but use dc's proper fix.

Phil

PS Feel free to contact me directly if you need any assistance.

CAS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Trey,

Try a search for "puke can". This should fix everything.

OP
OP
L

LETHAL GTS

Viper Owner
Reaction score
You guys just took a major load off my mind!!!!!
Thanks a million. Just spoke with Dan Craigen and he explained what's happening and gave the solution.
VCA you guys rock!
Thanks again Phil, Clint and Dan, your the man!

CAS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
LOL, glad to hear I could be of assistance :) ..