brake bite

22YRSOLD

Enthusiast
Reaction score
just changed my rotors and pads. put about 60 miles on the car. when does the bite really kick in. i have bedded the brakes...

ViperRay

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The trade-off for less brake dust and squeal that EBC provides is less "bite". You can't have it both ways.

If it's just street use they should do fine.
If you want more bite use Brakeman 3. They are still easy on the rotors.

If you track it much, PFC also.

GR8_ASP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The question is what are you looking for. EBC reds are for higher temperature and on the street may be worse as you do not get them up to temp.

Pad material is always a compromise between the friction coefficient, modulation capability and operating temperature. You choose your pad based on how you want it to work.

OP
OP

22YRSOLD

Enthusiast
Reaction score
i see. thats fair enough. i understand the bite for the dust. but the brakes dont stop really. they are worse than stock. but there getting better. how long after u change pads and rotors do the brakes start to fully work? because right now there basically is no brakes

OP
OP

22YRSOLD

Enthusiast
Reaction score
i think im missing something here. ebc pads are worse than stock? thats outragouse. why did i buy them then??? well the original owner of my car drilled holes in the stock rotors. Cross drilled them. and the things were really warped. i mean really warped. the pads had 3 1 cm lines through them where the pads were indented. right now the ebc i have are worse then the stock braking and i really had no braking power whatsoever. the ebc should rock copared to what i had

MoparMan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The trade-off for less brake dust and squeal that EBC provides is less "bite". You can't have it both ways.

Do you recommend Brakeman 3 or 7 for street use and occasional drag racing (a few times a year)? I don't give a rip about how much dust I get on the rims - I just want the oads to stop the car quickly on the street w/o needing alot of heat in them.

REDSLED

Enthusiast
Reaction score
well the original owner of my car drilled holes in the stock rotors. Cross drilled them.

If the original owner drilled holes in the rotors then there are other things that I might be concerned with as well. That is the worse thng you can do to rotors as it will caus ethe rotors to crack & fatigue prematurely. The EBC pads are crap! but you will get less dust. I would rather stop and have to clean the wheels occasionally then rearend someone and have clean wheels. :)

Ron

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Call me crazy but I find the stock pads a great compromise between braking power, dust and durability.

REDSLED

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Do you recommend Brakeman 3 or 7 for street use and occasional drag racing (a few times a year)? I don't give a rip about how much dust I get on the rims - I just want the oads to stop the car quickly on the street w/o needing alot of heat in them.

Try the Porterfield R4-S Good for the street and occasional trip to the track.
http://www.porterfield-brakes.com/pads.html

OP
OP

22YRSOLD

Enthusiast
Reaction score
well i just got new ebc rotors and pad. im just waiting to bed them in and then see whats going to happen. i really dont care about brake dust either. i really dont want to rear end someone. your right REDSLED. but im going to try out the ebc red she what happens.

OP
OP

22YRSOLD

Enthusiast
Reaction score
well ill be hounest with ya. there isone guy i know who has them and he swares by them. maybe his brake were really really poor and thats probably why the ebc work for him. who knows. ill try them out and see what hapens.

What i really dont know is if im paranoid. my hood and bumper dont align very well anymore. my hid fog light went out today. my brakes havent started kicking in yet. still bedding them in. i dont know whats going on. i dont know. maybe im just looking into things way to much. i dont know. is anyone else like this?????

PDCjonny

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Call me crazy but I find the stock pads a great compromise between braking power, dust and durability.

Just had new stock pads and rotors put on my car at Tators and they stop great, albeit a little more dusty. I'll take the dust anytime over reduced stopping power.

D.K.

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Different pads and so forth are band aid cures. If you really want your car to stop, do the big brake upgrade and put on the SRT-10 4 piston Brembo's. It made a huge difference in my car. Much more confidence now knowing the car stops fast when necessary. :usa:

GR8_ASP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
For the street it is hard to beat the stock pads. They offer excellent cold braking, moderate temp capability and reasonable modulation.

EBC Greens, the street version with low dust, has mixed opinions. I myself installed them in my RT/10 and was not happy. The cold temp capability for the first stop of the day was terrible. After that they were merely ok. Pedal pressure was significantly more than stock in my esteem. I personlly would not use them again as performance is more important to me than dust.

Now your combination with red up front and green in the rear is unknown to me. If the green friction coefficient is lower than the red brake performance will be significantly reduced. If it is more you may have increased potential for locking the rears first, especially if you have done anything to increase rear braking.

I currently have Brakeman 3's. The cold performance is good as is modulation. The primary benefit is hot performance. For the street Brakemans offer lots of brake squeal. My intent is to replace them with stock as soon as I complete a track event in 2 weeks. I will then swap for future events keeping stock pads on for the street.

Danno

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I put the EBC Greens on my car last week and I am not having any problems or feel any lack of stopping power. My car wont see the track so I felt comfortable going green. Car stops just as well as with the stock brembo pads (on the street) and I'm getting a little less dust.

Early93Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Call me crazy but I use EBC Greens for the track as well as the street and feel they are better than stock.

AZTVR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have to chime in and say that I just put EBC greens on, and went for a pretty spirited drive today after bedding them in this past week; and am satisfied with their performance. Is the issue really that the people who are dissatisfied with them are driving way faster than those of us that find them yo be acceptable? I have to say that I don't brake for corners on public roads the way that I would on the track.

SNAKE BITE

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I just ordered tires and greens so I hope they work fine. :shocked: I just figured since I had to take the wheels off for the first time since the car was new, I should replace the pads. :2tu:

ViperRay

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Theo, did you use standard bedding procedure?
It doesn't take 60 miles to bed brake pads.

It's possible your problem is not properly bedding them in.

OP
OP

22YRSOLD

Enthusiast
Reaction score
well the way i bedded them was took the car to 100 kilometers/ hour and slowly slowed down to 55 roughly. did that maybe 6 times. the what i did was go on a little street and for about another 6 times i did like 60 amd dropped down pretty ******* them till i almost came to a full stop but let the car roll. and tonight i took the car out and they are grabbing pretty well. cold stop on reds is terrible. but once they get hot the stop better than my stock ones. sont forget i never drove my car with proper brakes. i got the car with faded and warped rotors and pads

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Call me crazy but I use EBC Greens for the track as well as the street and feel they are better than stock.

You're crazy. But if you like them then stick with them. I run them on my street Viper. No way on the track though.

Janni

Enthusiast
Reaction score
In my experience - the reds are horrendous. Not the right pad for this car - too heavy - by the time you get any heat in them, they overheat and disintegrate. Then, not sure what year car you have, but adding a grabbier pad to the front and a lesser pad in the rear, is throwing even more bias to the front - where the stock Viper is notoriously biased.

the stock pads are quite an excellent compromise between performance and dust - they also can handle a decent amount of heat without going away on you.

there's no way you should be having brake bedding / stopping issues for this long. You may be having other issues going on....

Marc Lublin

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have been running the EBC Greens for a while with no problems. I don't track the car, so I wasn't worried. It was time for new pads so I just installed the Brakeman 3's in the front. The stopping is fine, but the squeal is just too much for my somewhat daily driver. Just ordered another set of greens. By the end of the week if anyone wants to by an unused rear set of Brakeman 3's and a front set that will probably see about 90 street miles, PM me and make me an offer, so I can some of the $328 I spent on the complete set. I'm glad that it only takes about 5 minutes per side to install the front pads, at least I didn't waste too much of my time.