brake cooling fans

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
When Charlie Henry (former mgr of PoPar Perf Parts) debuted the duct kit at VOI.6, I suggested that MoPar add these fans. He said "I leave that to you" so we located the fans.

PartsRack has the fans for about $79 the 4" pair...just install them inline in your own ducts. 3" or 4"

Tom Glenn

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Mike H, Please share with us the specifics. How does it work(technically). Where did you get it. What improvements did you observe/measure. I know a number of us will appreciate this information.
Thanks!

Mike H

Enthusiast
Reaction score
tom,
I was at a track event at SC where I spent some time talking with Jimmy Adams, formerly of Viperspeed fame, and with his tech Mechanics. The idea came from them and here is what I put on my race viper. This is a track only car but the same idea can easily be rigged under the hood where mine is installed in the passenger area.
I got a side mounted about 1 gallon winshield wiper tank with motor mounted to it. It was from a junk car, cost me 20 bucks from a junkyard and any one will do. i got it with the side mount so it easily can be pulled out of the car off the mount. I then ran 3/8 rubber hose from the tank out to each of the brake caipers. At about a foot froom the calipers I attached the hose to soft copper tubing. I have upgraded front brakes (brembo). I looped the copper tube around the caliper and thru the center retainer of the caliper (holds the tube in place) and up over the top of the caliper so the tube faces the center vanes of the rotor. The hardest part is to crimp the end of the tube just right so the water just mists out. This may take several tries of crimping the ends. I did this first to my satisfaction before I installed the copper tube permantly cutting the excess off at to attached the rubber hose. I used plastic ties to hold the rubber hose to the "a" arms and to the frame.
Now the trick with racing is you want the motor to mist the rotors for cvooling only when you brake, so I wired the motor to a switch first then looped it to the brake pedal actuator for the rear lights at the brake pedal. This was the hardest trying to get the wire in their on your back and with my roll cage in the car. The purpose for the switch first is to turn the pump on AFTER I start racing and so if I am at a stop the mist is NOT spraying constantly. Once I get racing I flip the switch and every time I hit the brakes the mist sprays into the center vanes of the rotor, cooling it, helping to stop brake fade.
After running it hard I was able to brake harder and longer in the race Viper and WITH NO BRAKE FADE. I also have the porsche ducts and air ducts too, but I doubt I will ever experience fade again. It took me about 3-4 hours to initially figure out just how to do it but the system works great if you race and brake hard...the total was less than a hundred bucks, works great.

Tom Glenn

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Mike, Thank you very much for the info. I can't wait to try it. When you say the mist is directed toward the center vanes of the rotor I just want to make sure this is where the vanes are visable on the inside of the disks near the center of the hub?
Thanks again,
Tom

Mike H

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Glenn, yes the center of the vanes is where you want the mist to spray, as the rotor spins it draws the mist into the vanes helping to cool them. Are you setting this up in a race car or streetable car? let me know how you make out or if you need any other info. It is rather easy to install, just getting the copper adjusted is the trick. Took me several tries crimping the end just right, and several times I had to recut the end off, and try again. Make sure you use soft copper, any Home Depot has it. I was in a rush to get mine in to go racing, but you might be able to find a mist head also. GOOD LUCK...
Alan, hows things?.....LOL...yes, I think I do need that to cool the engine,lol. I havent replaced the engine yet, still looking. Hopefully will have another engine within this next month. The brake setup is killer now. I have the brembos 4 pods up front and the Sean roe setup 2 piston in the rears. With the ducts, deflectors and the water I never had a fade problem , where the weeks before I did. I was mashing on the brakes hard from about 170 mph after the straight away, at Pocono, flying past the Ferrari,s. Lenny was still have problems with his brakes fading.He has 4 piston front and 4 piston rears. I was hitting mine hard being on Lenny's butt and the heavy braking I was doing behind Lenny forced him to lose his brakes again and I passed him in a braking zone. He was trying hard to stay in front of me but the late and hard braking was too much for his brakes. They seem to be the trick, as far as cooling, and gave me big confidence late in the race sessions to keep pounding on the brakes, late in the braking zone. Just need more seat time now, plus and engine.
PS" Does this make me a Tuner?...LOL...Will I get rich from this?
What do you think $ 399.00 a complete setup?

Sean Roe

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
You know the saying "necessity is the mother of invention"?

Well, mom just whacked me upside my head.

Stay tuned
smile.gif
smile.gif
smile.gif

Mike H

Enthusiast
Reaction score
LOl...Sean...look out I am the Viper Guru...NOT!!! Hey Mom...whack me again....Sean need a partner? Why let all this raw knowledge go to waste?
Mom.......