Brake noise

VENUM INJECTION

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I have an 08 coupe. I notice when I am rolling at low speeds, which is a relative term for Viper owners, that my brakes make a squeaking noise. I am usually around 10 mph or less. Of course they could be making the noise at all speeds, but do to obvious engine noise I can not hear it. I was wondering if you guys suggested some form of lubricant or if this is a more serious issue that needs to be checked by viper tech. Thanks in advance-Chris:dunno:

ASPIRATIONS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Are you talking about applying the brakes at low speeds or just rolling ? I had a new 04 vette that did the same at low speeds when the brakes were used and was told it was the pad material and not to worry......I know some experts on here will chime in with some other possibilites soon so just hang in there...kevin

hightest

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have the same issue with my 08; brakes squeaking most noticeably when slow and less noticeable but still there at higher speeds. The squeak seems to go away if I apply the brakes lightly. I have had the same issue on other high performance vehicles with race pads. I don't know if there is any real fix other than changing out to different style pads.

snakem04

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thats funny im having the same problem with my 04 but mine is every time i brake at a stop sign or stop light. I know its my right rear but when i got the car inspected 2 months ago they told me my brakes where bran new. I bought the car 2 months ago with the brakes on it so i never took the wheel off to take a look. Its really embarrising when i pull up in a hot car and go to stop and all you hear is sqeeeeeeeeek. :bonker:

01sapphirebob

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Wear it like a badge. Its the factory pads. Nothing you can do. When I got mt RT/10 I had the local viper tech look at it and he said he could try to clean them but in the end the noise will come back. Its the high metalic compound in the pads. There are aftermarket pads you can buy for this issue but I never bothered once I found out that it wasn't that big a deal. :)

BennyBad

Enthusiast
Reaction score
check the ebrake on the rear wheels, theres been posts of people having to replace the pad due to it being in contact with the rotor when not engaged.

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
I have an 08 coupe. I notice when I am rolling at low speeds, ........ I was wondering if you guys suggested some form of lubricant .....or if this is a more serious issue that needs to be checked by viper tech.

YIKES ! No lubricants on or near brake pads/rotors please!! This is likely NOT a serious issue (unless you lube your rotors....)

There are vibration-absorbing shims and liquids that can be applied to the pad backing plate......but they just stop the transfer of the high-pitch pad vibration that makes the squeel. Any brake shop can do this, but the labor is the same as a pad change.

There are 2 possibles.... as Benny says, the E-brake could be dragging and you hear it at parking speeds. EASY to check...pull the handle lightly when going 10 and see if it changes / stops. Or, carefully check the temp of that e-caliper after NOT using the e-brake. Should be cool-ish...much cooler than rotor or primary caliper.

Possibility 2: Overall, you are driving like a bit of a wuss. ?? Remember: if your eyes glaze over when driving, your rotors do too! You are creating a glaze on the pad/rotor and NOT burning it off. Go somewhere with no traffic and re-bed your pads: 3 hard stops from 40; then 3 hard stops from 60. Then 3 hard stops from 75. [The last 3 may NOT be needed.]

But after the bedding, DONT use the brakes till they breathe and cool a lot. This should eliminate any glazing, and eliminate the squeek......til your sedate style causes more glazing. You can actually scuff/sand/stiff-brush your rotors with an abrasive as well! To remove the glaze....hard to do the backs......

Last edited:

Peter Nielsen

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Or, carefully check the temp of that e-caliper after NOT using the e-brake. Should be cool-ish....

Good advice Jon! I really need to check this. Normally I don't hear any squeals, but sometimes I hear a faint squeal when slowly pulling into the garage. I guess the acoustics of a garage would amplify a noise that normally cannot be heard...

Hmmm.. When thinking more about it: I *never* hear the squeal when I back out (car is cooled down). It's always when I come back after driving that I hear it... Might very well be the e-calipers that start to make slight contact with the rotors when the rotors are heated up by regular breaking!

Last edited:

Achilles99

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Whenever I switch back and forth between stock and track pads, I use a rubber-like paste called "disc brake quiet." It comes in a small plastic bottle. Just squirt it on, replace pads, and it dries solid.

EDIT: Put it on the metal plate side touching pistons, not pad side :)

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SKY1960