Brake & Rear Diff Fluid

HyperViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My 2008 has 9000 miles and I have owned it 2 years this New Years. Maintenance schedule in owners manual says 18,000 miles or 18 months. Does it really need changed after 9k miles? Another consideration is, it was built August 08 which makes my fluids 3 1/2 years old? :omg:

AZTVR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Brake fluid is hygroscopic. It absorbs water. So, that happens over time rather than miles. Many people never change it, though, and never encounter ill effects (that they recognize.) If you ever plan to take the car to the track, definitely make sure you have fresh brake fluid.

goldcup

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My gen 2 was very sensitive to old fluid could feel it in the pedal so I replaced it every year got the best brake feel that way!
So I do it religiously now but I do all the fluids.

Camfab

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Change the Diff. fluid every 10K for sure. Not sure on the later Gen's but the Gen II's would cook the rear fluid.

Bill Pemberton Woodhouse

VCA Member
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Would bet the rear diff needs changing , as the torque on the Viper and the tendency of a few of us to get on the beast on more than a few occasions usually means it needs changing long before 18K.

Change the brake fluid too, as noted since it does have an affinity to moisture and it has been awhile -- better safe than sorry as one gentleman commented.

You might check your clutch fluid also. With the heat off the headers and usage, not uncommon to see it down , level wise, or getting a bit dark.

OP
OP
H

HyperViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think I'll just change everything since it is 3 1/2 years old. I know the dealer didn't change anything while it sat in his showroom for 15-16 months.

Recomendations for fluid type? Brake, rear, trans, clutch?

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
Unless you have track plans, OEM Mopar fluids recommended in your Owners
Manual should work fine:

MOPAR "Brake & Clutch Fluid DOT 4"
04549625AC

MOPAR "Synthetic Gear & Axle Lubricant SAE 75W-140"
04874469...for
differential.

MOPAR " Limited Slip Additive Friction
Modifier"
04318060AB...for differential.

Mopar "ATF+4 Automatic Transmission Fluid" 5013457AA

Garron

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Unless you have track plans, OEM Mopar fluids recommended in your Owners
Manual should work fine:

MOPAR "Brake & Clutch Fluid DOT 4"
04549625AC

MOPAR "Synthetic Gear & Axle Lubricant SAE 75W-140"
04874469...for
differential.

MOPAR " Limited Slip Additive Friction
Modifier"
04318060AB...for differential.

Mopar "ATF+4 Automatic Transmission Fluid" 5013457AA

I agree with Steve 100%, you can't go wrong with Mopar

OP
OP
H

HyperViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Had everything but the power steering fluid changed today by Mike at Mike's VIPER Performance in Murrieta. Good to go until time for another engine oil change. After reading Steve's list above had ??? About the ATF +4 Automatic Trans fluid but that is exactly what Mike used. Still don't understand that in a manual trans though.

speedfreak99

Viper Owner
Reaction score
"mopar 75w85 synthetic manual transmisson lubricant" is what I have found for t-56 trans in
Dodge fluid index. Anyone else weigh in on this ?

Steve M

Enthusiast
Reaction score
"mopar 75w85 synthetic manual transmisson lubricant" is what I have found for t-56 trans in
Dodge fluid index. Anyone else weigh in on this ?

Sounds about right from what I've seen for a Gen III T-56 - they went with a thicker oil to help eliminate some of the neutral gear rattle. The Gen IV uses a much thinner ATF (ATF+4 is the spec) in the TR6060. Other cars that used T-56s in the same era as the Gen III used ATF as well, including my '02 Camaro (the spec was Dexron III for that one), but they seem to be able to tolerate thicker oils pretty well.

For mine, I'll be trying Motul ATF (meets the ATF+4 Mopar spec) in my TR6060 and Torco SGO 75w140 (exceeds the GL-5 specs required) along with a bottle of Mopar friction modifier for the rear. I just can't justify the price markup on the Mopar fluids for these applications, especially since I don't even know who actually makes the oil that goes in these bottles. As far as I'm concerned, as long as the oil meets or exceeds the required specs, you are good to go.