brake upgrades before roe sc

jwbond

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Hey guys...I am thinking, safety first, so I am looking into upgrading my brakes prior to bolting on a roe sc. However, I have a couple of questions:

1. Will there be a noticeable difference in braking power from oem to slotted brembos? Even if I don't track it?
2. Is it feasible to put abs on a 96' gts? I would think this would be a safer route for a non-track guy.
3. Is it ok to stay w/ stock if I don't track the car?

If I can stay stock then I think I will do the poor man's brake upgrade w/ a red powder-coat!

plumcrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
whats your poor man's brake upgrade ???

id like to dave's big brakes upgrade myself. just need some other things first.

OP
OP
J

jwbond

Viper Owner
Reaction score
whats your poor man's brake upgrade ???

hah! I was referring to the powder coat being the upgrade! A cosmetic upgrade is a cheap one...maybe I'll even write "Brembo" on them with a white crayon!

Tom F&L GoR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The larger/dimpled/slotted rotor deals are only to dissipate excess heat. Your rear brakes won't ever make enough heat to worry about because they are so small. Step one of better braking is simply to get all four corners working in a balanced fashion.

El Cheapo: Really, really, really cheapest is to play around with hard pads in the front and soft pads in the rear. But I think that brings all sorts of variability because when the pads warm up the braking characteristics of the car will behave differently.

Frugal: Larger rear calipers, such as the 36mm to 40mm conversion. $660 and DIY in a few hours. All OEM and aftermarket parts you have will be retained. Gets you to over 1.0 G braking from the stock 0.8 G.

Need some Bling, too: Dave's Big Brakes are the "deal" in order to put four pistons calipers all the way around. More bucks, but looks great, and lots of options.

Call Chuck Tator- he's got the 40mm on his own car and has installed many of Dave's kit on customer cars.

Or, for $0.50, I'll sell you a pair of Viper stickers.... ;)

carguy07

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Hey guys...I am thinking, safety first, so I am looking into upgrading my brakes prior to bolting on a roe sc. However, I have a couple of questions:

1. Will there be a noticeable difference in braking power from oem to slotted brembos? Even if I don't track it?
2. Is it feasible to put abs on a 96' gts? I would think this would be a safer route for a non-track guy.
3. Is it ok to stay w/ stock if I don't track the car?

If I can stay stock then I think I will do the poor man's brake upgrade w/ a red powder-coat!

1. No
2. No
3. Maybe

Have you been using the stock brakes at their limit or locking up the fronts?

I guess I'm a a pessimist, but sometimes I wonder how many guys "upgrade" their brakes when they never have had an issue with the stock ones. Kind of like guys that want to make their cars faster, but never floor it now.:rolleyes:

I would say that Tom's upgrade is a good thing for all of our cars, performance and safety.

Madduc

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Another vote for Tom's rear upgrade! That along with Brakeman #3 pads all around and new rotors and SS lines, see'll haul down awesome!

Tom F&L GoR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I guess I'm a a pessimist, but sometimes I wonder how many guys "upgrade" their brakes when they never have had an issue with the stock ones. Kind of like guys that want to make their cars faster, but never floor it now.:rolleyes:

I understand the comment, but I can tell you most of my nearly 100 pair have gone to people that start with "grandma cut me off..." and "the deer ran out in front of me" or "I never felt comfortable."

ruckdr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Tom,
As you know I installed your 40mm Rear brakes, back in the spring of 2005, and as I have said before this is a necessary item for the Viper, and Dodge should have done this back in '93.
So;
Stop at the track; Tom's 40mm brakes.
"grandma" on the road; Tom's 40mm Brakes
"deer" on the road; Tom's 40mm Brakes
Stop or greatly reduce front wheel lock up: Tom's 40mm Brakes
.......... Tom's 40mm Brakes

Later,

ruckdr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Tony,
Click on Tom, F&L GoR vbmenu_register("postmenu_2406159", true); from one of his replies above and Click on Send a Private Message to Tom, F&L GoR vbmenu_register("postmenu_2406159", true);

He will inform you. You won't be sorry.

Later

carguy07

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I understand the comment, but I can tell you most of my nearly 100 pair have gone to people that start with "grandma cut me off..." and "the deer ran out in front of me" or "I never felt comfortable."

I'm with you there. I have locked mine several times for panic stops. But as for fade or lack of stopping power they are better than most of my other cars.

mbccenter

Legacy Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
I have a complete wilwood 6 piston kit with 2 pice rotors I am going to sell. Stops the car now.