Brakes and Brake Fluid change questions

slaughterj

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It's getting about that time to change the brake fluid, and I'm wondering how the bleeder valves on the SRT are different from the RT? Still the same twist, pump, twist back, etc. that should be replaced by Speed Bleeders?

Also, about how long are people finding their stock brake pads to last? Anything I should know about changing them, as compared to the RT?

Viper X

Former VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
33K on my SRT pads so far, still going strong.

I just bought new pads and rotors as I don't care to try and have the rotors machined.

I'd recommend Motul 600 fluid.

OP
OP
S

slaughterj

Enthusiast
Reaction score
On SpeedBleeder.com, they list bleeders for a 92-97 Viper, but that was still the same size and worked for my 98 as well. I just emailed them and will see what they say with regard to Gen III Vipers.

OP
OP
S

slaughterj

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I haven't looked at the SRT-10, but I'm assuming it needs 6 like the RT/10?

Leslie

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It's getting about that time to change the brake fluid, and I'm wondering how the bleeder valves on the SRT are different from the RT? Still the same twist, pump, twist back, etc. that should be replaced by Speed Bleeders?

Also, about how long are people finding their stock brake pads to last? Anything I should know about changing them, as compared to the RT?

are you looking for a brake fluid with street application or the track, or both?

are in interested in a brake fluid that you need to flush often, or something that has a low moisture activity (LMA) and can stay in your car longer?

I personally like Castrol SRF (590 dry, 518 wet boiling pts), it's expensive ($70/litre), but I can use it on and off the track without having to bleed all season.

I also have used ATE super blue (comes in blue and amber). I have speedbleeders on my track car, so when I am bleeding I can change colors and know I have gotten everything out from the last bleed, kinda kewl. Low moisture, comes in metal cans, perfect for street/track application.

Motul 600 has a hygroscopic nature, absorbs moisture quickly, so you would need to bleed your brakes frequently, comes in a plastic container so not as good as a metal one would be as far as shelf life and absorbing moisture. Good for track cars if you are used to bleeding anyway before each event.

Ford makes a great, very INEXPENSIVE Dot 3 brake fluid, great dry boiling pt (550), but it absorbs moisture quickly

I like to purchase brake fluids that are NOT in a plastic container, so they don't absorb moisture and have a longer shelf life.

Hope that helps :p

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TheHunter