Broken Engine Mount + JonB

SlowCreamPuff

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I discovered that I have a broken engine mount (driver side).
frown.gif

Oh well... In the past 9 months, I babied the car for 20,000 miles.
rolleyes.gif
How can it happen?
grazy.gif

So, I called JonB on a Saturday of a long weekend. He was glad to help me on the phone!! He also knew that's what it was too.

To make sure, I also talked to Cam, our local Viper mechanic. He was also glad to help!! He also knew that's what it was...

What a great Viper community around here.
smile.gif

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Jim Sullivan:
What were the signs that you had a broken engine mount?

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Michael's shifter was moving significantly to the right under load...not staying in place as before.

Other symptoms can be annoying sidesill noises/rattles on the left side.

Ron

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<FONT face="Comic Sans MS">Question?

Hypothetically, lets assume a Viper tech removes the transmission while the car is on a lift and does NOT support the rear of the engine, would that stress the mounts (Y/N) and lead to premature failure?</FONT f>

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Ron:
<FONT face="Comic Sans MS">Question?

Hypothetically, lets assume a Viper tech removes the transmission while the car is on a lift and does NOT support the rear of the engine, would that stress the mounts (Y/N) and lead to premature failure?</FONT f>
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Since the mount is suppposed to withstand the weight of the motor AND the 500 lbs of torque, I would say YES it would indeed 'stress the mounts' but NO, that dumb oversight would NOT lead to premature failure. Also a Bad idea to have the exhaust system bearing the weight of an unsupported motor.....

Ron

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<FONT face="Comic Sans MS">It's amazing how some (I daresay most) professional mechanics, even with the added training of Viper school still don't get it.

It's common sense not to hang the motor on 2 mounts, it's common sense to replace the pressure plate in exactly the same position relative to the flywheel upon re-installation, (as the manual states), etc., yet I have been unable to find any tech that not only has that degree of common sense, but who also doesn't get offended when I request that level of consideration. And these are the guys that are going to reassemble my suspension.

I supposed we're cursed in that we care.....

Thanks Jon for the info</FONT f>

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Qdog