Bucking Viper

Martin Kennedy

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I've got a 2000 steel gray Viper. Over the last 6 months I've had problems with the Viper backfiring,bucking,engine cutting out and a no start situation after the above mentioned happened After a couple of hours sitting it would start. With the help of Chuck Tator from Tator Dodge working with my Viper tech (1st Viper he had seen) they seemed to have nailed the problem and replaced the Cam sensor twice. Everything was fine until this weekend and the same thing happened. The check engine light came on. I took it in and the diagnostics said faulty cam sensor or faulty crankshaft sensor. It seems odd to have this continue to happen, Has anyone experienced this problem? I don't think we're getting to the root cause of the problem. Any help would be appreciated.

MadMaxx

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Did they check your coolant sensors? As funny as it sounds, if the coolant sensor (atleast on most OBD cars) goes south and gives bougus readings, the ecu enriches the mixture so much it kills the car. my TA was registering 120 below zero, which caused basicly a flood out condition and no start.

Mopars don't like cold, so might want to ask them about it?

MadMaxx

1 Bad Snake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I had a very similar problem, I had all of my sensors replaced and my fuel injectors. The problem was not that at all! If you want call me at 214-727-4325 and I will give you the exact fix. This problem occured over a year ago and with the fix has not popped up since. (I would describe, but it will not make since in print, I have to talk you through it, as did someone for me).