cabin heat

Ronald L. Cypher

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I cannot stand the cabin heat. I took a drive for 30 minutes in 75 degree weather. I parked the car for 15 minutes in the shade. The cockpit temperature was 95 degrees when I went back to the car!! The AC just cannot cool this down. I had it checked and was told it is "full." Suggestions? I read the thread on removing the cats. Is that enough? Or is the heat from the engine and transmission too? Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Phoenix SRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If your A/C isn't getting the job done with the top and windows up, then it isn't working properly. I am in Phoenix and I had the car out the other day in 112 degree weather. The A/C had to be on full blast, but it kept the interior reasonably cool. Not as cold as my Lexus, but it was okay. And in more reasonable temperatures, the A/C keeps the cabin very comfy.

With the top down...well, that is another matter. Heat swirls into the cockpit from the hood vents, the side vents, the side sills and from underneath the car. It's not too bad if the outside temp is less than 90 or so, but once it is over that, you can cook a turkey in the cockpit.

Heat radiating through the footwell of my SRT seems to be a bit less than my Gen 1, but the enormous quantity of blast furnace hot air swirling in from the outside more than makes up for it. Overall, with the top down, the heat problem seems worse on my SRT than it was on my Gen 1.

Paul Hawker

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The cabin will remain quite a bit cooler if, when driving, you keep the windows up with the top down. This keeps the superheated air from entering the interior. The down side is that you have to endure that goofy "running with the top down & the windows up" look.

Phoenix SRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The cabin will remain quite a bit cooler if, when driving, you keep the windows up with the top down. This keeps the superheated air from entering the interior. The down side is that you have to endure that goofy "running with the top down & the windows up" look.

That looks way too goofy for me. I'll wait until the air temp cools down some before I put the top down. But, on the bright side, DC's 500 HP blast furnace (how is it they didn't learn from the earlier cars?) comes in handy when it's 20 below zero out...I can still put the top down and be cozy warm. Well, okay. It never quite gets down to 20 below here in Phoenix, but you get the idea.

OP
OP
R

Ronald L. Cypher

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I had the AC checked at the dealer and he said it was fully charged. I keep the top and windows up. Too hot to be in. :(

Smog Dog

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I was also concerned about the cabin heat during the first few weeks with my SRT.After 4000 miles and going through my first summer, I have found that I'm best off with the top up at temperatures above 80 degrees , particularly on sunny days, unless my trip is all freeway driving. I think it's that way with most convertibles. I am amazed at the difference in cabin comfort by pushing the visors into a nearly full upright position, when driving, of course with the top down. Try it. At speeds above 35, you really blast the air down into the cockpit. My driver's side visor deflects downward above 70 or 75. If someone has come up with a way to stiffen it up a bit, I would like to hear it.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mpcc