Can you siphon gas out of a Gen IV?

09 Venom

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Had the Viper out yesterday and parked it alone for 20 minutes. Then it dawned on me, since gas is scarce here in NJ/NY (for the time being) and since i dont have a lock on the gas cap, can someone try and siphon the gas out of my car?

Wiretech

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You should invest in a locking gas cap, my friend had a bag of sugar dumped in his truck and costed him 15 thousand in engine repairs.

viper GTS-R

Enthusiast
Reaction score
To be honest, the best advice right now is hide your car, don't even bother take it out. Not now at least, and don't even DARE think about going to Queens. That goes for anyone. About a dozen or so cars had their tanks cut open, fuel stolen. One of my parents friends, her daughter had special knee surgery in the city while Sandy was going on. She was being released today, left the hospital and her mothers car ended up being one of those cars. I haven't heard any updates if they got home but the car is useless right now. I hope karma pays it's dues, I was ready to go a few rounds just hearing about it. I can't believe how people are acting.

They are rationing gas starting tomorrow in North Jersey. South Jersey stations are fine.

--RS

robiferretti

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Our society sorta ***** at dealing with hardship. If someone doesn't make things good and convenient for me I get angry at EVERYONE!

OP
OP

09 Venom

Enthusiast
Reaction score
wow guys, thanks for the info. I am just lucky and thankful my friends and family are fine. My prayers go out to all those affected by the storm.

v10enomous

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My understanding is that any newer car is impossible to siphon because there is a screen at the bottom of the filler neck. I tried my Grand Cherokee and my buddy's plus his CTS and both our wives cars and not a drop. I put my Viper on the lift after the Pocono Fall cruise with an 1/8 of a tank so I didn't try my GTS. I googled it and apparently all cars have the filler neck screen for many years now. Maybe since Carter was President or shortly after.

Steve M

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My understanding is that any newer car is impossible to siphon because there is a screen at the bottom of the filler neck. I tried my Grand Cherokee and my buddy's plus his CTS and both our wives cars and not a drop. I put my Viper on the lift after the Pocono Fall cruise with an 1/8 of a tank so I didn't try my GTS. I googled it and apparently all cars have the filler neck screen for many years now. Maybe since Carter was President or shortly after.

This has been my experience as well...they have a flap there to prevent all the fuel from spilling out in the event of a roll over accident.