Car show classification

Mopar488

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yesterday, I went to a local Mopar car show that is really comprised of 60 and 70s muscle cars. I entered into a special interest class that was really broad including AAR, TA, wing cars, Vipers and Prowlers. I came in 3rd place behind 2 Prowlers and my Viper was as nice or nicer than they were. I was the only Viper there. There was a real nice T/A that I would have considered competition, but it did not place at all. For the future, I do not think I will be in a show that really does not have a Viper class. I felt bad being beat by 2 Prowlers, but would not have felt as bad if I had been beat by another Viper or had gotten first place for being the only Viper there. Anyone had similar experiences?

OP
OP
M

Mopar488

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think it was more political than anything else. A few years back, on the first and only night I went to the Mopar meeting, a guy came in and asked who was the rich bast--- with the Viper. Before I could say anything the pres. of the club piped him down. Kind of funny, he was the judge yesterday. I guess he still does not like Vipers.

V10SpeedLuvr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
What I can't stand is losing to an antique car. If I have to lose, I'd rather lose to a Prowler, Porsche, etc. Its annoying when you lose to a car like a 1935 Buick just b/c it's old and the judge remembers when he was a kid that he wanted one. If its something like a 1953 Vette, or a classic Ferrari, I could deal with them beating me, but cars like Chevelles, and stuff like that aren't even in the same ballpark as a VIPER. I love the wings and the girls, but ******* carshows are the worst for this. I went to a few carshows there last year and it was some nice modern day cars, but the antique cars swept the awards everytime. :buttkick:
Shameless post of pic from ******* carshow...

9192100_0745-med.jpg

hemibeep

Viper Owner
Reaction score
The new cars tend to suffer at these shows.
Most of the Mopar shows I have attended have a late model class which usally is for cars less than 10 yrs old.
There are also some "**** MY RIDE" pt cruisers that win in this class.

Some times the rich bast. or big checkbook comments get old. I will just sign up for "DISPLAY ONLY". I used to be into the car show thing, and it gets old, FAST.

So Mopar488, the question is, which of the newer cars got more attention? GTS or PROWLER?

IEATVETS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yesterday, I went to a local Mopar car show that is really comprised of 60 and 70s muscle cars. I entered into a special interest class that was really broad including AAR, TA, wing cars, Vipers and Prowlers. I came in 3rd place behind 2 Prowlers and my Viper was as nice or nicer than they were. I was the only Viper there. There was a real nice T/A that I would have considered competition, but it did not place at all. For the future, I do not think I will be in a show that really does not have a Viper class. I felt bad being beat by 2 Prowlers, but would not have felt as bad if I had been beat by another Viper or had gotten first place for being the only Viper there. Anyone had similar experiences?

Sorry for being so direct but a little arrogance showing through? Just because you have a Viper doesn't mean that you have the "nicest" car there. I have been to plenty of car shows where I was under the impression I had the "nicest" car in my class but lost. No big deal. Get over it, not everybody likes Vipers. And personally, I wouldn't have minded losing to a Prowler.

FrankBarba

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm sorry that you lost this car show. But i'm sure that you will find another show to enter. Come up to Carlisle next summer. Viper only classes

RAYSIR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
At car shows and elsewhere everyone ohhs and ahhhs Vipers, but if I take my 52 Chev PU and Viper the truck wins and Viper can't even get best Sports car. It really doesn't fit any where. Best Import-NO, Best Exotic-NO, Best sports car, maybe. Peoples Choice? no my 36 Ford 3 window gets that. LOL

BarryBum

Enthusiast
Reaction score
What I can't stand is losing to an antique car. If I have to lose, I'd rather lose to a Prowler, Porsche, etc. Its annoying when you lose to a car like a 1935 Buick just b/c it's old and the judge remembers when he was a kid that he wanted one. If its something like a 1953 Vette, or a classic Ferrari, I could deal with them beating me, but cars like Chevelles, and stuff like that aren't even in the same ballpark as a VIPER. I love the wings and the girls, but ******* carshows are the worst for this. I went to a few carshows there last year and it was some nice modern day cars, but the antique cars swept the awards everytime.

Uh oh, my pet peeve.......LOL
As a veteran car shower let me tell you why old cars beat new cars. Try and build an old car, especially one like the 35 Buick you are talking about. Your new Viper is just exactly that......NEW. A car that is over 70 years old SHOULD win if it is nice. Try finding parts for something like that. Now I agree that "catalog" cars such as Camaros, Chevelles, Mustangs and those type of cars that you can build one new if you have enough money out of a catalog should not win every show either. Judges should take to decision the rarity factor of nice, old cars. I know a guy that has an old Cadillac Lasalle and he has been searching for a vacuum operated wiper switch for over 15 years, you just can't pick up a catalog and order stuff like that. My Cuda is hard enough to find parts for, but to me that is part of the fun........its like a giant treasure hunt.
Sorry, for the rant :nana:

RedEnuf93

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Sorry for being so direct but a little arrogance showing through? Just because you have a Viper doesn't mean that you have the "nicest" car there. I have been to plenty of car shows where I was under the impression I had the "nicest" car in my class but lost. No big deal. Get over it, not everybody likes Vipers. And personally, I wouldn't have minded losing to a Prowler.

I would have to agree....
I have entered to carshows and lost to "who know's what". :bonker:

It is to be expected, if the drivers vote (Vote for your buddy) or judges vote (with "special" interrest). Thats the way it works, sorry you had to learn it with a Viper. Just because YOU think that YOUR Viper is the best (and maybe it was), does not mean that you will get the trophy. Far from it... Some show arrangers actually make a great sport out of it. If you really want to feel like a looser, take your Viper once to a import show with a dose of arrogance and you'll see what happens...

I've done it, but without, "Look what I have and you dont". Todays kids actually like Vipers, but you must work a lot more to win them on your side. As soon as they smell a "Rich old bastard", you're dead meat. However some import shows can be a rewarding experience, with the right attitude. Been there, done that and it was FUN! I usually let kids (teenagers) to sit in my car, take pictures etc. Be prepared to explain A LOT, they have curious minds... I dont take any "blowed the doors off" and "it will make 1000HP" stories with me. It's mostly about making good PR for the car.

After loosing most of my life with a Citroen 2CV, Mini's, Ford Cortina's, Buick GN's, Split-window Corvette, I dont give a crap anymore.
If I enter (expecially) a LOCAL carshow and loose with a Viper, I am still THE ONE THAT GETS TO TAKE IT HOME! :2tu:

What would you rather put a coat of wax on, a Viper or a rust infected Chevelle with a jacked up rearend (with a trophy on rearseat)????

OP
OP
M

Mopar488

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sorry if I came across as arrogant, but I would have rather lost to the perfect 70 T/A that I mentioned that did not place. On top of it all, after I made the post last night, I found a 7" scratch on the nose that came from the show. Enough shows for me.

98viperGTS

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I have taken my Viper and Prowler to shows and both lost. Some shows just favor the older cars and some just pick what they like. I just go for the fun and get to meet a lot of great people. However I have not seen any times that my prowler has won over the Viper. I guess I am in the wrong area.

Matt M PA

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Here are some thoughts from a guy that is the Head Judge for a Mopar car club, and has shown national award winning older Mopars for over a decade.

At a point judged show, if you enter a show that does not have a newer car class, you will never do well. The judges will not award the higher places to a modern car...unless the older cars are absolute junk. I think, rightly so...that the vehicles that required the restoration deserve the accolades.

At a popular vote show where the owners choose the cars they like...it's all popularity. This is where the exceptional biege sedan looses to the rusted out red convertible.

Finally, I have seen many newer car owners get very upset at shows because " a vette should beat that car". Wrong attitude. If the other car is better detailed, etc...it should win. Lots of folks do not see their car as a Judge does..so it's sometimes hard to understand.

96GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
There are many types of judges at car shows. I was at a show where they actually looked in every nook and cranny for dirt to see who had the cleanest car. At another show the judge was biased and rode around in a golf cart, only getting out to look at his favorites. When it came time for trophies, he mentioned that he had a Camaro in high school and take a wild guess at which car won. First, second and third place were all Chevy, and he never even slowed down to look at my car; it's that kind of crap that makes me want to go ask for my money back.

I spend just as long as the next guy detailing my car, and it's hard not to take it personal when you don't take home a trophy. When I see a steady stream of people around my car taking pictures, and getting more attention than any other car on the show field I feel like I'll do well. The majority of the time I've got the only Viper there, and all I come home with is a goody bag.

The first show I went to I took my 1996 Mystic Cobra with 3,994 miles that's 100% original, and was judged against imports with $30,000 in rice mods. I felt it was like comparing apple and oranges, but that's how car shows are. The best advise I can give is to detail your car the best you can, and go to just have fun. I let people sit in my car and get their pictures taken, and seeing how much they enjoy it is better than any trophy.

V10SpeedLuvr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
"I let people sit in my car and get their pictures taken, and seeing how much they enjoy it is better than any trophy."

Very true. I have enough trophies from being a nerd in school and from past carshows when I took my riced out Eclipse back before my Viper days. I'd rather make a kid's day by letting him get some photos in my car more than winning another trophy to take up shelf space and have to dust.

Shelby3

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Almost all car show judging is a joke so don't let it bother you. The trophy's are cheap and meaningless. That said, I go to a lot of shows to look at other cars and enjoy that aspect. If you take a nice car, watch it like a hawk as many spectators aren't very careful around your paint.

The thing I hate most about shows is muscle cars restored to near mint original condition with the exception of a $25 Grant steering wheel installed. Must be a Texas thing but I'm thinking about handing out citations in the future.

rcdice

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Entered my first and only show this summer. Was a local event sponsored by the Camaro club with proceeds going to a children's charity. Event was open to all makes and models. They only had a few "top" classes such as best in show, best Camaro, maybe one other. They awarded plaques to the "Top 25" cars entered.

It was a very cool event with about every type of car there. Hot rods, muscle cars, vettes of every era including a new Z06, modern cars and one Viper, mine. Everyone seemed respectful and gracious of each others cars. My Viper got a lot of attention. An older couple, probably mid 70's, came up and was fussing over the Viper. The woman said "this is the car everyone wants" and "if you don't win something, it will be out of sheer jealousy". They were very nice, had a car entered and seemed to know a lot of people.

In the end, I did win one of the plaques out of about 100 cars there. I spent five hours the night before detailing the car and another hour or so once I got to the show site. The car was spotless. My son, who was with me, was on cloud nine at this event. He and I talked to a lot of people and were very humble to everyone. I'm sure that helped with the judges. I let him go up and accept the award, he was thrilled.

My personal thoughts (which I explained to my son) are that ANY much older car should and does, have an advantage to a modern one (as explained by Matt M. above). My car is 5 years old and has less than 7k miles on it. It's one heck of a lot easier to have that car looking nice than a car that is 30, 40 or 50+ years old. The older cars should get respect and do. We were very thankful to be awarded an award given the mostly older cars there.

Last two points and I will then end this ramble. One, it's amazing with the prices of nice original muscle cars that there is ANY jealously against the Viper. A good muscle car can be worth $50k-$70k+ in a heartbeat. Second, the Z06 guy was very cool and not arrogant at all. His car did not place in the show.

Long live the Viper!!!!!!! :usa: :usa: :usa: :usa: :2tu:

96GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
There was a group of 15-20 Corvettes at the last show I was at, and they were all pretty nice people to be around. They were from out of town and said the local vet club was pretty stuck-up. EVERY car show you go to will be different. You could take the same cars to 100 different locations and have 100 different winners.

I start the week before a show, and spend a few hours a day on one area of the car (wash, clay bar, 3-M Imperial Hand Glaze, polish, wax, gloss enhancing spray, more wax) and enjoy every minute of it. I know in the back of my mind I'm not going to win, but I want the car to look it's best. Now and then I'll take the wheels off and clean all the brake dusk and road grime from the inner rim. I clean the wheel wells and apply a light coat of WD-40. I cleaned the suspension and found the pretty aluminum under all the gobble-dee-goop that comes from driving the car. I then drive to the show, and a few days later it's just as dirty as before.

I didn't buy the car to sit in a climate controlled garage, and travel back and forth in a car trailer. Drive your Viper, enjoy it and don't let some car show judge ruin the precious time you spend with your car.

HARDVIPER

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Got this one for specialty car. There was a blurb in the newspaper the next day saying they thought there was to many newer cars. :confused:

7435Win-med.JPG

94RT10Ohio

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am not concerned about winning. I been to at least a 20 shows with the Viper and won 0. The shows are just general shows ranging from 200 cars up to 1000 cars. Most shows will have one of a few things happen....

1. If everyone can vote ballot stuffing occurs, friends, family and car clubs.

2. There are always extremely nice custom cars, alot of work go into them and a real ******** car guy is more likely to pick something like that than a car you can basically "buy" such as our Vipers, although the classic GEN I GEN II look that is going to change over the next 10 years.

Winning is not a big deal. I enjoy going to the shows, checking out the other cars, BSn with other owners and the spectators, winning would just be icing, not what the show is about.

SInce two prowlers took 1 and 2 I am guessing number 1 happened. Most likely firends and a car club.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SKY1960