Car shut off completely while driving

axe

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I was driving home tonight and the car was running fine. All of a sudden as I was slowing to get off the freeway, everything shut off, the engine, headlights, hazard lights, radio, door locks, nothing worked. The car slowed to a stop as I steered to the side of the road. Tried to start it several times, but it didn't even crank, no lights, as if the battery was completely dead. I tried to open the door but couldn't. Had to use the emergency door handle to open the door.

I then opened the passenger side door using the emergency door handle, opened the hood, and then the lights came on in the car. I tried to start it again, but it failed to start, and everything shut off again. I closed the hood and opened it again. After a few seconds, the light came on in the car again (door was open). Tried to start it, and this time it started. Closed the hood and door and drove it back home without the car shutting off.

Has anyone experienced this before? Any ideas on what the problem(s) might be?

Thanks.

OP
OP
A

axe

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Forgot to mention that it is a 96 GTS.

Sean Roe

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Did you loose your radio station presets and is the time off? If so, this would indicate a total power loss, as in a main cable, such as a ground, is loose. Try checking the main connections first, at the power distribution center (red cap under hood), starter, battery +/- and ground to frame.

Good luck,
Sean

Big Medicine

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have; call me. 317.879.3022

Check your relays under the hood. Get under the car & trace the connections from battery to starter & into the PCM. I had to dissassemble my fuse box/ relay center. Auto shut down relay was shorting out from fan relay arc.

373burn3-med.jpg

373burn-med.jpg

373burn2-med.jpg

TomMiriViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Wow, that's a meltdown. Good detective work but what made it do that? How did you fix it and stop it from doing it again?

Thanks Tom

Big Medicine

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well, my battery was unstable & had it replaced, then I found this under the fan relay. Car shut off on high fan speed one time & no power. Noticed power would come back on after I bumped the assembly, figured short, & pulled apart. Root cause analysis? I have NFC. My car used to have a nitrous system on it, and I had left some wiring on the car (relays) for a period of time that may or may not have affected electron flow. I have since removed EVERY SINGLE PIECE of that system & spliced back to OEM. Everything has been fine since I fixed it, and I seldom worry about it anymore at all.

Big Medicine

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Wow, that's a meltdown. Good detective work but what made it do that? How did you fix it and stop it from doing it again?

Thanks Tom

To answer your question, I rewired the affected relay to a spare slot. The melted portion is now vacant.

Marc Lublin

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Start with the easy stuff first. Check the battery connections. With a loose connection at the battery, you can close your car door and it could be enough vibration to make or break the connection. It is very common to have a loose battery cable and much less common to find these other weird problems. While they sometimes do exist, I would start off easy.