Car stalled on the highway...

AviP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My 97 GTS stalled on the highway during my morning commute. Not once but twice. It stalled when I got off the gas from 65mph because of rush hour traffic ahead. I did a rolling start and continued on fine until the next backup and it happened again. The problem occured twice the 1st 10 miles and didn't recur after that or on my return commute. No OBDII codes were reported.

Here's what was different. I had not driven it for 3 weeks and the battery was down to 11.4V at startup. Startup itself was very rough almost as if all cylinders were not firing. The alternator and serpentine belt are fine since the voltage returned to 12.6 at shutdown.

Was it just a case of low voltage and too rich a mixture because of winter causing the engine to stall?

Viper Wizard

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Avi, did you just wash the Viper? O wait, silly question.:D

Sorry I couldn't help myself!;)

Sometimes the PCM may loose sight of the speed sensor for a moment and make her stall or the IAC motor has a problem?:dunno:

If your Viper keeps doing it, you may have to plug a scanner in while your driving:drive: and maybe see if a sensor drops out when it happens.

Hey, karting 2/24 with the "slow" NE boys & girls @ F1/Boston. Do you want to go?

http://forums.viperclub.org/vca-vip...4-n-e-kart-racing-f1-boston-feruary-24th.html

Dan Cragin

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
One 1996-1997 Models if the battery voltage drops to low on start up the computer will forget its base idle setting. Replace the battery if it is three years old or older. To reset the idle start the car and hold the throttle down just enough so you can get it to idle. Once the car will run without stalling at idle, let it run for about 5 minutes (idle) then turn on the AC and let it idle for 5 minutes. This will re-learn the idle.

Dan Cragin