Cat removal

jaxviper

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I spent some time last night reviewing the previous posts on the removal of the cats but I'm still unclear about it. My 99 Rt/10 has a 3" Borla cat back system which includes mufflers right behind the stock cats. I am considering removal of the cats and replacing them with 2 1/2" straight pipe. I assume I would have to cut the pipe in front of the cat and simply clamp in the straight pipe. Will this affect the computer or create any other problems? My main concern is the heat on the sills.

95Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Or...cut the cat down the center weld seam, remove the guts, weld back. No parts needed. Dependng on the year you might need O2 sims that just plug in the current locations at the rear.

CROM

Viper Owner
Reaction score
You have a 99. Many have noted that 02 simulators still do not allow you to pass the OBD2 checks, so simulators don't do much but keep the light from coming on.

I'd get a set of 2.5" cats from Jon B.

You will have to cut the stock cats out and then weld or clamp in straight pipe or cats. If you don't want to ruin your stock cats, I have some stock downpipes I could sell you for the right price.

RobZilla

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Removing the Cats will keep the sills cooler. HF cats will also run cooler. Depending on what kind of sound you want, you may have to choose one option over another. Either way you go the procedure is simple. Let me know if you need more advice.

:usa:

kcobean

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sawzall is your friend. When we cut my stock exhaust out, we just hacked off the pipe right in front of the cat, then once again at the bend just in front of the back tire and pulled it out in pieces. It was a piece of cake.