CHEAP Muffler Delete/Borla Mufflers/Straight Pipes

Achilles99

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My GTS used to have a "poor man's straight pipe" setup on it. No cats, Borla bullet mufflers in the side sills, and stock 2.5" piping everywhere else. Oh, I do have big SS poser exhaust tips for it, too :)

I've recently intalled a full 3" Borla exhaust system with 3" hi-flow cats (thanks JonB!). So, I've got the straight pipe setup for sale if anyone wants to try this route without cutting up their stock setup. A few comments I have about the straight pipe setup...

It smells, IMHO. That's why I went to hi flows. However, I miss how cool the sills ran with straight pipes! The hi flows are better than stock, but it still gets hot. The sound is GREAT. With the Borla bullet mufflers, it sounds EXACTLY like my full Borla setup (only a little raspier, but that's because of the lack of cats). In fact, the Borla bullets are identical looking to the ones on the full Borla 3" setup. I can't believe that the Borla setup is $900, but that the bullets are only about $100/piece. Viper tax!

I had to make two extra cuts to remove the stock setup (it was welded while on the car), but you should be able to reattach the pieces with pipe clamps (that's what I used for my new setup). It comes with everything you need to run from the stock flex pipe (you'll have to make one cut in front of the stock cats, and everything behind it should unbolt fairly easily, assuming yours is like most GenII setups). Oh, and you'll need Sean Roe's O2 simulators to prevent the check engine light from coming on.

The bullets were $200; the weld work, straight pipes, chrome tips and labor another $250 or so. Best offer over $25 plus shipping takes it (I figure I'll spend $25 of my time trying to find a box to pack this up in :) ). This is by far the cheapest way for anyone to experience straight pipes and a cool, deeper exhaust note!

OP
OP
A

Achilles99

Enthusiast
Reaction score
OK, I know SOMEBODY out there is a cheap SOB like me... I would have killed for this deal when I bought my first Viper :)

OP
OP
A

Achilles99

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sorry, it was sold a little while ago... new owner loves the sound, BTW. The next Viper I get, I'll probably go this same route :)