Check Engine Light misery

Jimzviper

Viper Owner
Reaction score
That pesky "check engine" light came on last week and I let it stay on because the Viper was due for service.
Apparently the code for the emissions centered upon a leaky hose somewhere from the front of the car to another area near the gas tank I am told. I was informed that to locate the possible leak, and do some "exploitory surgery" would cost about a grand.

Anyone had any similar experiences like this?
I did some sniffing around the gas cap, and there is a faint smell of gas. I Wonder if this has anything to do with it?
If it is the cap, can it be sealed? I know a new cap is just short of a king's ransom

Thanks for your thoughts.

Jim

OP
OP
J

Jimzviper

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Thanks Chad. Should there be an inner cap? Which cap?

Appreciated, and thanks for answering.

Jim

Last edited:

plumcrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
there is the gas door, which gives you access to the gas cap. the caps gets unscrewed so you can fill your tank.

the gas cap is cheap. call tator if you want an OEM one or listen to chad and go to the parts store

Ricketts

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you do buy a cap, dont buy a locking one. We have a lot of trouble with them not sealing properly causing CEL's. Honestly I'd call Tator or swing by local Dodge dealer for a OEM one.

bluesrt

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you do buy a cap, dont buy a locking one. We have a lot of trouble with them not sealing properly causing CEL's. Honestly I'd call Tator or swing by local Dodge dealer for a OEM one.

same here on oem,some aftermarket leak in the system for a code

ViperGeorge

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Check the vacuum lines going to the purge solenoid. Not sure where that is on a 2000 but on my 2006 and 2008 it is on driver's side front inside engine compartment, near front radiator hose. It has a connector on it with two vacuum lines. They can be knocked loose if you're doing stuff in the engine compartment. If they are loose and the PCM goes to do an Evap Emmision Test, it will fail and light the CEL.

Phun70

VCA Venom Member
Reaction score
Sounds like you have an evap code. The smell of gas confirms this. There is no way in hell that this should ever cost 1000.00 to explore. All you need to have done is a smoke test to determine the location of the leak. My shop charges 85.00 to do this, and that includes an hour of looking for the leak. Normally we can find and correct the leak within that amount of time. The stealership is trying to *** (take advantage of ;)) you!!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
J

Jimzviper

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Thank you all for the excellent advice and information. I took Cammer's advice and bought the non-locking cap for about $9.00, and the "check engine" light is staying off.
And thanks Chad for letting me know there is an inner cap. I hate to admit my stupidity in this area, but that is the truth. Some engineer I am eh?

Phun70 you are exactly right. I found a new dealership that says they know Vipers very well. We'll see. I left the old "stealership" ( I like that) I thought it was a bit high also.

Thanks
Jim

Last edited:

Viper Specialty

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Find a shop with a "smoke machine"... they will be able to find the leak pretty fast with that. There are not TONS of Evap lines in a Viper.

Garron

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If the engine light is on because of a evap code you may want to check the hoses near the drivers headlamp. The purge valve and LDP are in the front bumper. The hoses are common for cracking and leaking.

Good Luck

RTTTTed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Thank you all for the excellent advice and information. I took Cammer's advice and bought the non-locking cap for about $9.00, and the "check engine" light is staying off.
And thanks Chad for letting me know there is an inner cap. I hate to admit my stupidity in this area, but that is the truth. Some engineer I am eh?

Phun70 you are exactly right. I found a new dealership that says they know Vipers very well. We'll see. I left the old "stealership" ( I like that) I thought it was a bit high also.

Thanks
Jim

He says that the codes are gone. No check engine light. Gas cap was missing?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
webironmongery