check engine light

sambo32

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just got my 2013 viper track edition, it needed to be jumped because battery was dead and now check engine light is on. I disconnected the negitive terminal for about 10 minutes and still the check engine light is on. Any idea on what I need to do. Also how do you open the gas cap, I press the button on the door panel but it does not pop open
Thank You

OP
OP
S

sambo32

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Now that the viper is on a trickle charger, the dash lights come on and off by itself. The key fob is away from car. I guessn that is the reason the battery is going dead.

OP
OP
S

sambo32

Enthusiast
Reaction score
So every 20 seconds the dash lights come on for 5 seconds, and just repeats itself. Do I need to lock the doors with the fob.

ViperSmith

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Doh, misread. Sorry, I have no idea what is going on.

I assume the gas cap is electronically controlled, so power issues might mean it isn't opening.

Check the diagnostic codes and see if anything is being thrown first.

Policy Limits

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Go on the left of the steering wheel and use the up/down buttons until the person with the stethoscope is highlighted; then press the > arrow and the screen should say "checking for diagnostic codes"

Let us know if any codes are thrown

ViperSmith

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Get into the car. The center of the tach, on the steering wheel the left hand side, the up/down buttons. Scroll to the diagnostics code screen. Once you get to it, tap the ">" button on the left hand side of the steering wheel.

ViperSmith

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Don't have to turn it on, you can push the start button to get the interior lights / dash / nav on and do it (no pressing the clutch in)

BlackSnake99

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sounds like an electrical gremlin to me. Low fuel level isn't going to give you bizarre electrical symptoms. Earlier Gen cars do all kinds of squirrelly stuff with low batteries. Hopefully uou just got a defective battery at the factory. You could try a new battery.

Alternatively you do have a warranty. Call the dealer and let them worry about it. Just don't let them adjust your window glass.

OP
OP
S

sambo32

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Brand new car with two (so far) problems which are not minor. one the check engine light and two dash light come on every 20 seconds for 5 seconds. I am not happy, I hope I didnt make a mistake on this viper purchase.

Dan Cragin

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
This looks like a battery problem. Charge the battery and have it checked. Just had a 2013 that had a bad battery from sitting too long. Even new batteries can go bad if they sit partially discharged for too long. When a battery discharges the acid moves out of the plates, if it is not absorbed back into the plates for some time, the plates become hard or "sulfated" and the acid does not want to return back when charged.

If you do not plan to drive the car weekly, invest in a trickle charger as well.

Hope this helps.

BlackSnake99

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Brand new car with two (so far) problems which are not minor. one the check engine light and two dash light come on every 20 seconds for 5 seconds. I am not happy, I hope I didnt make a mistake on this viper purchase.

Bad battery could account for both. Don't despair. Go to NAPA and get an Interstate battery and throw it in. If it fixes the problem, sent the bill to Conner Avenue.

wikkid

Viper Owner
Reaction score
How the hell does Sambo need a new battery, are you guys serious. My battery has been in my car for 9 years and the car still starts right up.

OP
OP
S

sambo32

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thank you all for your help, I have the battery charging now . I dont think it will get a good charge because of the dash lights turning on, maybe I will throw in a new battery tomorrow.

BlackSnake99

Enthusiast
Reaction score
How the hell does Sambo need a new battery, are you guys serious. My battery has been in my car for 9 years and the car still starts right up.

I disassembled and reassembled my Gen II to put a brand ner Red Top in it only to find it to be a defective battery. Defective batteries happen.

OP
OP
S

sambo32

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The sad part is that I traded my 2014 GT-R black edition for the viper, I think I bought a headache. I looked at the top of battery terminals and can see markes from battery booster packs or cables, which means my problem with the dash lights coming on is an existing issue, which kept killing the battery. I just cant understand how the dash light come on its own every 20 seconds, I dont know what else to check.

NastyGTS

Viper Owner
Reaction score

Mine will do this when the fob is present and the doors are open and closing ( I.E. cleaning, showing the car to someone) I figured its something with motion activation.

My battery has not given any issues yet though.

Please let us know what the outcome is.

OP
OP
S

sambo32

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Both my fobs are a good distance away from the car, unless there is a third fob somewhere in the car.