Cloudy, Scratched Headlights! How to polish them or do I?

1MEANSNAKE

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Prince Frederick Maryland, On the Chesapeake Bay
Hey everyone, I know that some of you guys if not a lot of you have foggy, yellowing, scratchy looking headlights! I did a search and I've seen some plastic polishing kits on Eastwood and a few other places, however my question is for the guys that have addressed this issue and can offer advice on how to do this properly.

I have heard that you can remove the headlights and heat them in the oven to have the glue release the lens, if so, how w/o damaging them?

My headlights are hideous and on a car like that, it's embarassing! It seems to be the only item on the car that shows it's age.

Let's use this as a "How to" for this so everyone can benefit from it.

Before anyone asks, yes I did do a search and no, I didn't find anything beneficial.

:2tu:

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you put your lights in the oven then your pair is bigger than my pair!

Anyway, the lens is probably polycarbonate and the housing ABS or polypropylene. Most of the time adhesive joints on something like polycarbonate are permanent, but to a different polymer the bond won't be as strong. Releasable maybe.

A question though... What's your plan for re-gluing them? Got that 150mph cement picked out yet?

Also, why not go to the junk yard and get a broken light off some other car and experiment?

Sweet Ride

Enthusiast
Reaction score
3M makes a great kit that I have used. It's a multi step polishing program that gives fantastic results:

3M™ Headlight Lens Restoration System US 3M Automotive head light lights headlight headlights tail taillight taillights plastic plastics cover covers fog fogs foggy fogged cloud clouds cloudy clouding clear clears clearing dull dulled yellow yellow

Only downside is that the kit is over $500.

I'd recommend against trying to break the seal on the lens. The fogginess is generally on the outside of the lens, not the inside. You have any pictures of the lenses?

OP
OP
1MEANSNAKE

1MEANSNAKE

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you put your lights in the oven than your pair is bigger than my pair!

Anyway, the lens is probably polycarbonate and the housing ABS or polypropylene. Most of the time adhesive joints on something like polycarbonate are permanent, but to a different polymer the bond won't be as strong. Releasable maybe.

A question though... What's your plan for re-gluing them? Got that 150mph cement picked out yet?

Also, why not go to the junk yard and get a broken light off some other car and experiment?

Dave,

I don't have any plan for these lights as of yet, that is why I posted here. I'm only posting what I've heard some others doing. As for the glue, they had to use something that would keep them together. I'd like to find a new pair, but even if I could, $800-1,000 each is crazy!!!!!

OP
OP
1MEANSNAKE

1MEANSNAKE

Enthusiast
Reaction score
3M makes a great kit that I have used. It's a multi step polishing program that gives fantastic results:

3Mâ„¢ Headlight Lens Restoration System US 3M Automotive head light lights headlight headlights tail taillight taillights plastic plastics cover covers fog fogs foggy fogged cloud clouds cloudy clouding clear clears clearing dull dulled yellow yellow

Only downside is that the kit is over $500.

I'd recommend against trying to break the seal on the lens. The fogginess is generally on the outside of the lens, not the inside. You have any pictures of the lenses?

I'll have to get some pics, I'm sure the inside is a problem area as well. $500 is a high dollar fix :crazy2:

Here is something I found from Jack B , wondering how this has held up!

http://forums.viperclub.org/rt-10-gts-discussions/574916-cloudy-headlight-lens-solved.html

dansauto

Enthusiast
Reaction score
you cant do anything if they are yellow, that is due to the plastic breaking down. But you can sand them with 1500 (wet sand with a little detergant) then buff with some polishing compound (I use ultra cutting cream) You will need a real buffer to do this in order to generate the heat/force required for the compound to break down as it polishes. Note they will not be "as good as new" but will look alot better then before.

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Dave,

I don't have any plan for these lights as of yet, that is why I posted here. I'm only posting what I've heard some others doing. As for the glue, they had to use something that would keep them together. I'd like to find a new pair, but even if I could, $800-1,000 each is crazy!!!!!

The last set that I saw go on this particular auction site (they are close to a bay...) the pair went for $600.

mad0953

Enthusiast
Reaction score
3M also makes a one time lens kit which is about $25 on Amazon.com. It contains enough sand paper and polish to do one set of headlights. I personally used Meguires plastic polish and cleaner and my orbital buffer and they came out perfect. All the bad fog and yellowing was on the outside too btw.

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score
3M also makes a one time lens kit which is about $25 on Amazon.com. It contains enough sand paper and polish to do one set of headlights. I personally used Meguires plastic polish and cleaner and my orbital buffer and they came out perfect. All the bad fog and yellowing was on the outside too btw.

Sheepskin bonnet on that orbital? :dunno:

jdeft1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I used a cheap, Autozone kit on an old clunker minivan my wife drives. I followed the directions and they came out like new. If I needed to I'd use the same kit on my viper... 20bux and some elbow grease.

Somebody posted here 6-8 months ago about the set they used... hummm, Chad maybe??

Viper #53

Viper Owner
Reaction score
The original headlights on my 1992 RT/10 are peeling (think sunburned skin peel)Tried elbow grease to no avail.

James Taylor

sun diego

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Plexus is good enough for fighter jet canopies. I've used it on lots of cars with good results.

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The original headlights on my 1992 RT/10 are peeling (think sunburned skin peel)Tried elbow grease to no avail.

James Taylor

Yours are probably toast then. Oxidation & UV aka polymer breakdown. However, things to try could include solvent polishing (tricky) or machine polishing (not quite as tricky). Can you see any haze cracking? Use a magnifying glass if needed.

sirhc76

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Viper #53

Viper Owner
Reaction score
"fine sandpaper and my ROB took care of it"

Which grain did you use and what dees ROB stand for?

James Taylor

Sweet Ride

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Any protective film kits available to preserve the lights after polishing?

Here's a quote from 3M:

"Q. Can Scotchgard™ Paint Protection Film be used on headlights, foglights or windshields?
A. No, the Department of Transportation does not allow any film of any kind to be put on headlights, foglights or windshields."

On the other hand, this company:

Lamin-x Protective Films - Protect with Style

sells them for many cars and I seem to remember a Viper specifc site that sold them as well but I can't remember who it was at this time.

Baked

Enthusiast
Reaction score
D&C Performance sells the film for the headlights and fog lights. I just received mine and plan on cleaning the lights first also, before installing them.

ViperGeorge

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Jon B at Parts Rack also sells the clear film for the headlights. Thick stuff, works great, can't even tell its on when done right. Does take a little "bake on" time in the sun to set them up after installation. I had to trim mine some as they seemed to be a bit big.

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Here's a quote from 3M:

"Q. Can Scotchgard™ Paint Protection Film be used on headlights, foglights or windshields?
A. No, the Department of Transportation does not allow any film of any kind to be put on headlights, foglights or windshields."

Sounds like 3M is just covering their ****. Thanks for the link.

Sweet Ride

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You can also purchase MOPAR part# 68043526AA.

It's a headlight restorer kit that comes with sand paper, polish, and instructions.

Follow up with the lens covers and you shouldn't have to worry about cloudy lenses again.