Clutch and steering fluid change - HELP

Qualitywires.com

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
It's pretty simple to do. There's a bleeder valve up by the transmission and you have to access it through the bottom of the car.

As far as the power steering, I think you pretty much disconnect the hose that is in the rack itself and let it drain. Someone else may want to chime in. If not when I get home tonight I will scan the directions from the service manual.

slaughterj

Enthusiast
Reaction score
For power steering fluid, a lot of people do a poor man's bleed, here's the instructions, per Janni Cone:

Power Steering Fluid:

Get yourself some RedLine Power steering fluid...
Then, with the suction tool, **** out the reservoir.
Refill, start car, cycle the steering 3 times lock to lock.
Then **** out the PS fluid again, refill, cycle steering 3 times.
**** out one last time and then replace. That way you will have gotten over 95% of the fluid without breaking the closed system...
We then replace the reservoir fluid after each track event and its always fresh... and it takes about 5 minutes....

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I do the method Slaughter list.

As far as the clutch goes, I **** the fluid out of the reservior, wipe the reservior clean and just add fluid.

Ron

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Best clutch method is to pull the fluid through the bleeder with a vacuum tool, like a Vacula.

The reservoir is small, so be careful not to pull it dry.

A surprising amount of small black particles will be seen from the slave cylinder fluid during the bleeding process.

The power steering fluid change method can be either Janni's method or you can pull the return hose and constantly refill the reservoir as the old fluid is being pumped out into a container. A thorough flush, but can be a mess and could introduce air into the system if you're not careful. Also could induce leaks as the connections weren't meant for repeated disassembly.

If you get air in the system it will clear after 20 of so miles of driving. The steering will pulse a bit until it's cleared.

Personally, I use Janni's method once a year if not tracked in order to maintain system integrity. Either way is fine though.

OP
OP
G

GTS-ACR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks for the advice. I'm not exactly sure where the clutch bleeder is. I looks as if its way up on the driver side of the trans. Is this correct?

Ron

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yes, It's shrouded in a rubber sleeve and directly above the clutch fluid line. I posted some pictures a while back that a search might find.