Clutch install question - please help!

onerareviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hello Viperholics,

1.) I bought the clutch kit from the EBAY many people use. I am positive it has the correct pressure plate, clutch disk, throw out bearing, and pilot bearing. Now I've been told the alignment tool that comes with the kit is not correct. Although, it lines up with the splines in the center of the replacement clutch perfectly. Do I have the correct alignment tool? In other words, if the tool lines up with the splines, could it still be incorrect? I have yet to install the unit.

2.) In the manual, it states you HAVE TO replace the slave cylinder when replacing the throw-out bearing. Is this necessary? More than likely I have a bad throw-out bearing.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:

PittsburghRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I also bought the LUK clutch kit from Ebay. It came in the wrong box and clutch align. tool, but when I took the car to Tators the parts were exactly the same as an OEM LUK Mopar part.

My situation was the opposite as yours. My slave cyl. developed a leak over last winter and I bought the clutch just in case and it was good that I did. Chuck had the car apart and felt I should have that new clutch installed. I would put in a new slave because they are only $179 from Mopar.

OP
OP
O

onerareviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thru some searching it looks like I found the answer to #2.

---------------------------

Member Jack B. - The throw out bearing is not really integral to the slave cylinder. They can be easily separated and one or the other replaced.

OP
OP
O

onerareviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Found the answer to #1 as well...

Yes, the alignment tool that comes with does fit the clutch splines. But, it does not fit snugly on the pilot bearing. Diameter is too small.

ROCKET62

Has Left the Room!
Reaction score
Why would you not replace the slave when you're there and easily accessible? It's a fairly cheap part that does go bad - so why not be proactive? It would be well worth the wait until you can get one to install in my opinion.

Good luck.

1TONY1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hello Viperholics,

1.) I bought the clutch kit from the EBAY many people use. I am positive it has the correct pressure plate, clutch disk, throw out bearing, and pilot bearing. Now I've been told the alignment tool that comes with the kit is not correct. Although, it lines up with the splines in the center of the replacement clutch perfectly. Do I have the correct alignment tool? In other words, if the tool lines up with the splines, could it still be incorrect? I have yet to install the unit.

I just did a clutch today. I no longer use an el'cheapo line up tool.....they can let the clutch sag and cause problems. If you use your fingers and feel around the four areas where you can get to..... where the clutch edge and flywheel edge meet, you will be able to tell when it is even all the way around. Just barely snug a few pressure plate bolts so you can still move the clutch around with a bit of pressure. This should let the transmission go in.....if the transmission starts in but doesn't go in all the way, put a few bolts in and "barely" snug it up. Then hook up the clutch hydraulic line and press the clutch pedal. That will let the clutch line itself up perfectly and the transmission will slide on in.

Jack B

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I just did a clutch today. I no longer use an el'cheapo line up tool.....they can let the clutch sag and cause problems. If you use your fingers and feel around the four areas where you can get to..... where the clutch edge and flywheel edge meet, you will be able to tell when it is even all the way around. Just barely snug a few pressure plate bolts so you can still move the clutch around with a bit of pressure. This should let the transmission go in.....if the transmission starts in but doesn't go in all the way, put a few bolts in and "barely" snug it up. Then hook up the clutch hydraulic line and press the clutch pedal. That will let the clutch line itself up perfectly and the transmission will slide on in.

Mine had the wrong spline. I bought one, but, as indicated it had too small of a diameter in the forward male shaft. That is easily fixable, you can eyeball the alignment after using the tool and adjust it into alignment. The alignment pins in my transmission were too tight, I had to bevel the entry part of the pins to make it fit.