clutch install

charmer006

Enthusiast
Reaction score
doing the clutch install today or tomorrow..any tips? car is a 00 gts. done several clutches in mustangs but never a viper!! in case it matters the clutch is the centerforce one.
thanx

1TONY1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Here's a tip. If you are going to use a plain jane wooden dowl alignment tool.....forget that and just center the disk by feeling the gap around the pressure plate.

Tom F&L GoR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Agree with 1Tony1. I bought an eBay clutch, but the plastic alignment tool didn't fit the bearing in the end of the crank. Useless.

Jerry Dobson

Enthusiast
Reaction score
There are actually a few tips:

When you pull the drive shaft and Trans mount, allow the back of the motor to rock down a little. If you have headers, you will have to disconnect them first.

Then use a LONG extension on your socket handle. 3 foot would work. You can then get to all the bell housing area bolts. If you use a box wrench, it is too tough. You will see what I mean once you try to get to the bolts.

Now would be the time for a new pilot bearing. They are cheap. The throwout bearing is expensive, it can be replaced if bad.

Are you changing the flywheel? You could balance the flywheel and pressure plate before the installation.

Make sure you tighten all the bolts to the specified TQ. You will need to use Locktite on any of the moving part retainers (bolts).

Replace the two drive shaft retaining straps and four bolts.

It's late, but I wanted to give a few tips before you start your install.

Jerry

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
VinhyVegas